GDT: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | 7:00PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

perrykaravello

John Garrett's Peanut Butter Jar
Aug 15, 2004
In a season with no fans, you can't have these vanilla commentators doing broadcasting. There needs to be energy and excitement, and that was a total dud by the PBP guy.

I can only hope this was a situation where they literally had to pick someone who happened to be in the city and he was the only one left to do PBP.

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weird game when the first preseason game is a regular season game. Have to take a step back and not make too many rash judgements. Hoglander looked amazing ... but is the only guy on the ice in midseason form. Will he look like this compared to everyone around him in 20 games? Hamonic looked like a 60 year old Murray Baron ... but hasn't played in 11 months. Surely he'll improve.

- Pettersson line looked mostly out-of-sync but ended up with 2 goals from Boeser. Have to like how he finished. Virtanen did some good things defensively but doesn't belong on that line. Petterson was ... ok.

- Horvat line was by far the best on the ice and carried the team. Pearson was outstanding and obviously Hoglander had a great debut. I have concerns about how that line will work in matchup situations but they were more than fine tonight.

- Beagle line didn't hurt us (although Sutter tried), which is a best-case scenario.

- literally didn't notice the Gaudette line all night aside from the play where they scored. Great shift from Gaudette there.

- Schmidt didn't play his best game moving the puck forward but played a workmanlike 24 minutes without making a mistake. Likewise every time a 34-35 y/o Edler starts the season and looks solid it's a good sign. Eventually he's going to fall off a cliff but it didn't happen today.

- Hughes looked bigger but slower. Amazing play on the 3-2 goal, though. Hamonic was awful and a pylon but needs to be given time.

- Juolevi had some good moments but gave away a goal. Thought Myers was pretty solid tonight.

- Holtby was ... decent. Didn't like how he moved on the first couple goals although both were very difficult saves. Have a suspicion that Markstrom would have got to at least one of those.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Oilers are garbage.....

how many first overall picks they need and they still suck.
I bet you anything McDavid secretly wishes he played for any other team.
Cold, boring ugly city, and a team that cant figure it out

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Oilers are garbage.....

how many first overall picks they need and they still suck.
I bet you anything McDavid secretly wishes he played for any other team.
Cold, boring ugly city, and a team that cant figure it out

And this is why I despise that team so much I've purged their team name and city name (in context of hockey) from my vocabulary completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad