OT: Glued on jersey numbers: How to make them straight?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
So usually I order my jerseys online and they come out perfect (Koivu, Price, Cammy), but the two that I've ever had done at the Habs boutique, one in 2009 and one last week have the same problem, i.e., they do the manual machine gluing (they place the letter and numbers, then have this big steamer descend to glue them on) and it comes out with the letters (less so) and numbers (cuz they're bigger) all curved.

This is partly due to the fact that they place it on a flat surface and glue it, so if you're wearing it (not completely stretched flat), it doesn't mimic the way in which they're glued. I just got my Galchenyuk one done (lotta letters and it was pretty funny to see how many had been ordered at the Habs zone boutique) and the 2 and 7 are (not sure if I can explain it well) curvy such that they dictate how the jersey material takes shape. The fabric of the numbers is much thicker than the jersey, so it makes sense. I tried loosening it up by washing and low tumble dry, but to no avail.

Oddly, my Kostitsyn (AK) from 2009 WAS like that, but I took a look at it today and it's as if it "settled". Weird. I'm guessing the numbers just have to soften up, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one that this has happened to. (I'm afraid to steam iron over the numbers since I don't know what will happen, but maybe it would do the trick if others have tried.)

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
I had a Kovalev jersey, I used my steam iron to go over the name and ended up being able to peel off the letters of the name. (it leaves a slight mark though, but I ended up having Galchenyuk put over it so it's not even noticeable).

I wouldn't try to move them... I think you'll have to settle with that and hope they straighten out eventually. Could always go back to see if they would just change the jersey for you (but I doubt they will)

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I had a Kovalev jersey, I used my steam iron to go over the name and ended up being able to peel off the letters of the name. (it leaves a slight mark though, but I ended up having Galchenyuk put over it so it's not even noticeable).

I wouldn't try to move them... I think you'll have to settle with that and hope they straighten out eventually. Could always go back to see if they would just change the jersey for you (but I doubt they will)

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've found tons of threads asking how to get the names/numbers OFF and everyone always says "Tried every single way, can't be done." So, the opposite of your experience.

I will take it to the boutique to ask them why it's like that (since I think it ends up like that invariably when done there), unless someone else has another solution. Thanks for the reply!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad