Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Galchenyuk's cap hit will be just over 1 mil(925k plus 92.5k) once he cracks the NHL roster. His bonuses will only apply if he earns them. 11-12 was the exception to this as it was the last year of a CBA. If his bonuses say in 13-14 put us over the cap we can carry them over to 14-15(where a pile of money comes off the books...Gionta Markov Kaberle etc

I believe the bonus cushion has been eliminated in all recent CBA proposals.

edit: nvm, you may be right, looks like the league has adjusted this in the last week.

What did Bergevin say?

Nothing new, just previous comments about leaving NHL spots open for youngsters, not ruling out Gally making the team, having Gally as the only junior player eligible to make the Habs on the list submitted to the NHL... maybe some of it is just a hunch I have based on Dudley's history with the Thrashers as well.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I would have said the Habs' seem to be in one of the most comfortable situations for the new cap world. Compliance buyouts are obviously "in" now, and if the league is willing to go to 2 of them, we are laughing.

Obviously Gomez and Kaberle are the leading candidates at the moment. But play the season (/half-season). Player asset values will change. Not likely Gomez's, but maybe Kaberle's. Maybe somebody else on our roster. At any rate, we aren't looking at being stuck with any super-big super-long term contracts on underperformers anymore. I'd be more worried if my team had some questionable long-term mega deals to ponder the buyout implications for, like some other teams do.

Bonus cushion, $60M cap, two compliance buyouts, we would be very comfortable.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would have said the Habs' seem to be in one of the most comfortable situations for the new cap world. Compliance buyouts are obviously "in" now, and if the league is willing to go to 2 of them, we are laughing.

Obviously Gomez and Kaberle are the leading candidates at the moment. But play the season (/half-season). Player asset values will change. Not likely Gomez's, but maybe Kaberle's. Maybe somebody else on our roster. At any rate, we aren't looking at being stuck with any super-big super-long term contracts on underperformers anymore. I'd be more worried if my team had some questionable long-term mega deals to ponder the buyout implications for, like some other teams do.

I still see a team like TB with much bigger issues. They will lose cash flow with the lock out and have some big cap eaters they probably can't afford to buy out like Lecavalier and Ohlund, then they have some young guys who will need new deals soon like Hedman and Connolly. They also just overspent on Carle and Purcell.

Other than Gomez the rest of our contracts over 1 mil are guys that can reasonably play up to, the ones that didn't "earn" it in 11-12 could bounce back either from injury or just performance.

Not a stretch that Gionta scores 25-30 and provides grit and strong leadership and is worth his 5 mil.

Bourque at 3.3 mil just needs to get back to banging and score 20 to be worth it.

Kaberle at 4.25 mil needs to be in camp in better shape, more reliable defensively(that part of his game was exagerted last year though) and put up 40+ points.

Plekanec even with a drop in offense is worth his cap hit already if you include his tough matchups and PK.

Price is still on way up and should develop from top 10-15 goalie to top 5.

Markov 80% of it is staying healthy, playing top 4 minutes and boosting the transition game and PP, not a big stretch at 5.75 mil.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Maybe trade Plekanec instead...Galenchyuk be up next year for, Pacioretty be on his new deal by then and Subban will get big increase.

On buy out Markov? He is a piece of glass. Good player, but body is brittle. Players hardly hit him and he is gone for months.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I said as good or better. That means 10 are clearly better and we are comparable to the middle 10, so 11th to 20th depeding on a slew of factors. In 09-10 and 10-11 we had 88 and 96 points and last year 78 despite adding Cole, Diaz, Emelin and the development of Pacioretty and Desharnais.

The talent didn't drop, it was just a "Murphy's law" type season where everything that could go wrong did. We still have a top 10 goalie, lots of skill on defense and a solid group of forwards with some size, grit, skill and role players.

IMO, the turnover on the defense the habs did last year was a disaster to happen. In no way shape or form can an nhl team dump about 2000+ games (i'm guessing a lot more, Hamrlik, Spacek and eventually Gill) and give the ice to players who's combine for under 100 games all together (Subban - Diaz - Weber - Emelin) all at the same time.

Mind you, the move eventually had to made because for years the team didnt slowly had talent to the defense due to bad developping. Either the guys falters or we got lucky with a Subban emerging...

That defense, unless Markov can stay healthy or Bergerin can add a veteran capable top4 presence will remained shaky at best for at least another year of painful growing experience imo.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My belief is that Molson isnt interested in buying out anybody as it means throwing money away.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
My belief is that Molson isnt interested in buying out anybody as it means throwing money away.

Huh?

He's saving money by buying out people and it has to be done anyway to get under the 64.3 M cap in 2013-14.

The buyout cost will be 2/3s according to reports this morning.

Instead of paying Gomez 4.5 M in 2013-14, he'll be paying him 3 M. He gains 1.5 M.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

Molson ain't cheap, I don't know where those rumors come from. Anyways, I juste read that up to 90% counts against the cap when you send a player down!!! Poor Rangers with Redden :laugh:

Last edited:

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

Huh?

He's saving money by buying out people and it has to be done anyway to get under the 64.3 M cap in 2013-14.

The buyout cost will be 2/3s according to reports this morning.

Instead of paying Gomez 4.5 M in 2013-14, he'll be paying him 3 M. He gains 1.5 M.

Presumably the Habs will be a cap max team anyway, so, a Gomez buyout would be 3M in addition to the 64mil spent on the actual team - as opposed to the 57mil available without buying him out. But given the truckloads of cash Molson will be making on this CBA, I think Hab fans should be outraged if he cheaps out on buyouts. I think he'll spend the money.

Orpheus

Valar Morgulis
Mar 5, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Presumably the Habs will be a cap max team anyway, so, a Gomez buyout would be 3M in addition to the 64mil spent on the actual team - as opposed to the 57mil available without buying him out. But given the truckloads of cash Molson will be making on this CBA, I think Hab fans should be outraged if he cheaps out on buyouts. I think he'll spend the money.

He won't be spending a dime on compliance buyouts, the players are paying for them.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
He won't be spending a dime on compliance buyouts, the players are paying for them.

You mean the NHLPA is paying directly for the buyouts? Or each team will pay for their own, but the total will count against leaguewide HRR and the players will be paying later through escrow?

Orpheus

Valar Morgulis
Mar 5, 2007
Montreal, Canada
You mean the NHLPA is paying directly for the buyouts? Or each team will pay for their own, but the total will count against leaguewide HRR and the players will be paying later through escrow?

It's still not entirely clear who is actually paying the dollars yet, but it counts against the players share of revenue.

Montreal doesn't have it that bad, Gomez + one other random between kaberle and bourque. But a team like Tampa might have to buy out Lecavalier, if the owner has to pay for that, oh boy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad