Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
nhl appearntly has agreed to two amnesty buyouts. Problem solved.

Yep. LeBrun just confirmed.

If you had told me we miss 30 games of hockey to have the chance to get rid of 2 of our bad deals without any cap charge, I would have signed up. This is fantastic news.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Another detail emerging: NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to 2 per team, up from 1 prior to 2013-14 season.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Wow, well goodbye Gomez AND Kaberle. Therrien talked so much trash about him on l'Antichambre, you know Kabs was the 2nd buyout option.

Awesome news for Diaz who's been tearing it up in the Swiss league.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Wow, well goodbye Gomez AND Kaberle. Therrien talked so much trash about him on l'Antichambre, you know Kabs was the 2nd buyout option.

Diaz also looked pretty great at the Spengler Cup from what I saw, too. I wasn't sold on him at the end of last season, but I'm excited to see what he can do now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If the buyouts are indeed this summer, I think a guy like Kaberle could be traded before then. If he bounces back I think he is well worth his cap hit to a team needing a PMD and PP QB. Good defensemen are always in demand in the off season just look at what Suter(13 years 98 mil)Wisniewski(6 years 33mil) and Wideman(5 years 26.25 mil) got.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Diaz also looked pretty great at the Spengler Cup from what I saw, too. I wasn't sold on him at the end of last season, but I'm excited to see what he can do now.
He had a mediocre finals (scored a goal, but got walked around a few times), but his other games were great. But I'm a huge fan of Diaz.

Kaberle being bought-out (I wouldn't be 100% against bring Kabs back a severely reduced salary), is great news for St-Denis too.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, St-Denis, Weber.

I would like to get a Top-4 guy to slide in there (Diaz and Emelin both may be able to fill it, but I guess we will see this year but I love them as a pairing either way).

Although, since the buyouts won't happen till summer, depending on their player - Bourque could be axed before Kaberle. If Kaberle has a solid half season and Bourque struggles again, they may chop him since he'd be on the cap for 3-years.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Would they give a buyout window before the start of the season since they couldnt give it this summer ?

PricePkPatch*

Buyout.. like the one that leaves a stain on your salary cap for double the time, at half the price?!

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Couldn't agree more. I also don't see a need to get rid of Gomez. I suppose it'd open up a spot for Galchenyuk next season, mind you...

There is simply no way we can keep Gomez if the cap goes down to $60mil without also losing players that are more important to the team.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I hope we use our amnesty buyouts on Gomez and Bourque.

Assuming Markov is healthy, I'm okay with also using a regular buyout on Kaberle. There's no reason or need to have both Kaberle and Markov.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Assuming Markov is healthy, I'm okay with also using a regular buyout on Kaberle. There's no reason or need to have both Kaberle and Markov.

It's crazy how quickly people are willing to throw in the towel on Bourque. He played 38 games for us and we're talking about buying him out already? Come on.

Granted, only managing 8 points in those 38 games was hilariously bad, but can we at least wait to see what he does under an actual NHL coach first? He had 2 straight years of 27 goals, it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to get back there.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

The only way it makes sense for Bouque is if he has a full year like the 2nd half last year. If he bounces back to 20 or more goals no way you just get rid of him, not at 3.3 mil. Then you have to turn around and give his spot to an unproven rookie(Palushaj Geoffrion?) or go pay the same or more for a UFA.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The only way it makes sense for Bouque is if he has a full year like the 2nd half last year. If he bounces back to 20 or more goals no way you just get rid of him, not at 3.3 mil. Then you have to turn around and give his spot to an unproven rookie(Palushaj Geoffrion?) or go pay the same or more for a UFA.

If he scores 20 goals in a shortened season, that would be pretty impressive! ;)

I guess 10 goals in 48 games would be what we'd be looking for.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
It's crazy how quickly people are willing to throw in the towel on Bourque. He played 38 games for us and we're talking about buying him out already? Come on.

Granted, only managing 8 points in those 38 games was hilariously bad, but can we at least wait to see what he does under an actual NHL coach first? He had 2 straight years of 27 goals, it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to get back there.

Even if Bourque decides to pull up his socks for a few weeks, I'd still buy him out. There always seem to be decent wingers available every year, and if we need to we can make a trade, even if we have to give up an asset or to.

We can do better even if we have to do without for a year or so.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Even if Bourque decides to pull up his socks for a few weeks, I'd still buy him out. There always seem to be decent wingers available every year, and if we need to we can make a trade, even if we have to give up an asset or to.

We can do better even if we have to do without for a year or so.

We already gave up an asset - Mike Cammalleri. Instead of waiting to see if what we got for him pans out, you're ready to cut your losses and give up more?

Doesn't make sense to me.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
No rollbacks this time around.

I am a little confused on the 50/50 split issue then. If they do go this way immediately, wouldn't that reduce the players salaries which is what the "make whole" provision is all about? I thought there would be a reduction in salaries due to this.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I am a little confused on the 50/50 split issue then. If they do go this way immediately, wouldn't that reduce the players salaries which is what the "make whole" provision is all about? I thought there would be a reduction in salaries due to this.

Make whole is all about covering the difference between going from 57% in HRR to the 50/50 split. It's complicated, but it's basically to assure every player currently signed gets paid 100% of his salary.

If there was no make whole, players would face steep escrow charges since going from 57% of HRR to 50% would be coming out of their pockets.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Make whole is all about covering the difference between going from 57% in HRR to the 50/50 split. It's complicated, but it's basically to assure every player currently signed gets paid 100% of his salary.
DR
If there was no make whole, players would face steep escrow charges since going from 57% of HRR to 50% would be coming out of their pockets.

Right, but the point is the make whole amount shouldn't count against the cap...

Ubercron9000*

no one thinks gomez could be traded instead of using a buyout? I would rather use them on kaberle and bourque. There contract lengths scare me. I`m sure gomez can fetch atleast a future considerations lol.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
We already gave up an asset - Mike Cammalleri. Instead of waiting to see if what we got for him pans out, you're ready to cut your losses and give up more?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Absolutely. We did give Bourque a chance, that was what last season was all about and he failed.

I wouldn't want him even if he pans out, I'd be looking to trade him for someone else.

We've lost some good players over the years for nothing, players that I miss but Bourque I'd never miss.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
no one thinks gomez could be traded instead of using a buyout? I would rather use them on kaberle and bourque. There contract lengths scare me. I`m sure gomez can fetch atleast a future considerations lol.

Kaberle has a reasonable buyout, I'd have no problem just buying him outright and not thinking about it. I'm hoping/thinking all three amigo's are gone at the end of the year.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad