Global initiative at the club level in NHL's plans

ebox99

May 8, 2009

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-the-club-level-in-nhls-plans/article1917195/

John Collins:

"The league’s COO John Collins made it clear in an interview that if he gets his way there could be up to a half dozen “event†contests a season. Plus, he emphasized that a global initiative is in the league’s plans.

“We’re definitely talking about how the best [club] teams from the European leagues play the best in North America, like in the soccer model,†Collins told Usual Suspects. “A World Cup where the best national teams have a chance to compete. It’s all part of how we’ll drive the business across all our [media] platforms. With a third of our players coming from [Europe] it’s a great opportunity.â€

To execute its grand media strategies, the NHL is looking to integrate its rights packages this year in both the U.S. and Europe (expect an announcement by this spring on both). This will allow use of highlights across all platforms. Examples of new business models helped by this integration would be a potential NHL Red Zone Channel, modeled after the NFL’s dedicated channel that shows nothing but scoring and highlights live from multiple games that night.

Another example, says Collins, would be digital packages that would allow Finnish hockey fans to access a package featuring all the highlights of Finnish NHL players from the night before. Or OHL fans to follow their favourite products. “The NFL is so advanced that it can slice off tiny slivers of its rights package for great sums of money. We’re not there yet. But integrating our rights holders gives us a chance to package our product in new and exciting ways for fans.

“It’s a big year for us. The new media contracts gives us a new way of driving business, of driving new events, new properties. From a business standpoint, the sooner the etter for the rights announcements.â€

Fugu

Does he realize that the best European club teams aren't really in the same league as the NHL-- partly because their best guys are here?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
something like the champion's league?

quarterfinals: NHL conference finalists, Group stage winners
group stage: finalists from SEL, KHL, SM-liiga champion, NLA champion, 2 prelim rounds winners
prelim rounds: SM-liiga 2nd, NLA 2nd, SEL and KHL 3rd, DEL champion, CZE and SVK extraliga champions, Spengler cup champion (unless already qualified, then deferred to second place and so on)

it could work. Tournament would have probably have to run in august.

Fugu

What the heck for, danishh?

Those leagues are leftovers for the most part, guys who couldn't make it in the NHL.

Hockey in summer?

When do these guys recharge? Do soccer players play 82+ games per year, and then post-season play? Some of them aren't even going to be under contract, so insurance gets to be an issue as well.

The soccer tourneys work because people are capitalizing on the fact that soccer is a religion in too many countries to count. I don't think it works the same way for sports you're trying to grow.

And I doubt the owners want any more reasons to pause the season for extracurricular activities. Bah humbug, I say.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
The top 15-20 or so clubs in the NHL are miles ahead of any of European teams in terms of development, funding, sponsorship, viewership, etc., etc. I just don't see the point for them trying to 'compete' at the International level in some sort of soccer-esque tournament. Friendlies like the Victoria Cup are fine, but the NHL basically has everything to lose at the international stage and very little to gain. Before anyone loses it over my seemingly anti-Euro tirade, let me say that I think it's perfectly possible in a 1-game elimination scenario that a Euro team could win. But this is the problem. The NHL will be expected to win every game at the international level but the level of competition for the players etc. just isn't going to be there- like the All Star game. Unless massive bonuses are offered to the players for a win (which is pointless for clubs financially, worse if some % of the ticket money doesn't go to them) they have nothing to really win and everything to lose. There's also the possibility certain Euro teams decide to go head-hunting, etc., which could have a huge affect on the club but unlike an NHL team couldn't be fined or punished.

Now a pan-European championship I can definitely get behind, because the levels of competition are much closer. A revitalized World Cup to be held before the NHL season that is like a World Cup I could also totally get behind. More international friendlies, perhaps when NHL teams open in Europe they could play a few of the local teams kind of thing, would be pretty cool too- as long as a mantra of it being a friendly is kept around. However I think it's more important to develop hockey across the Atlantic then try and force competition on them in something that's going to end up with the reputation of the All-Star game (or worse).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad