Glenn Anderson Man really underrated.. Statistical Breakdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

I just watched the series in 87 between Oilers and Flyers final and boy this guy really helped the Oilers. He could stickhandle very well and score goals at key times. Not much of a passer but man he could score goals for a guy who is so underrated.

Seasons with 20 or more goals: 13
Seasons with 30 or more goals: 9
Seasons with 40 or more goals: 4
Seasons with 50 or more goals: 2

Seasons with 60 or more points: 10
Seasons with 70 or more points: 8
Seasons with 80 or more points: 6
Seasons with 90 or more points: 4
Seasons with 100 or more points: 3

Top 10 GPG: 0.75 0.67 0.66 0.52 0.51 0.47 0.47 0.47 0.43 0.33
Top 10 PPG: 1.44 1.41 1.31 1.23 1.1 1.01 0.99 0.91 0.91 0.81

Total Career Games: 1129
Total Career goals: 498 g
Total Career Points: 1099
Career GPG: 0.44
Career PPG: 0.97

That's pretty impressive. Had he played a few more games he would've gotten 500 goals and should've been in the HHOF IMO. And his last 3 years really hurt his PPG and GPG averages. What do you guys think of him?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Very good, not great player.

Certainly helped by playing on those loaded Oilers teams.

Fearless going to the net.
Clutch goal scorer.

Very dirty with his stick.

Could play on my team anytime.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Agree with JFF on Anderson's limits. But, if not a truly great player, he was certainly one of the game's great game-breakers. He'd definitely be on my top-10 spectacul-o-meter.
Funny aside (at least to me): After Anderson helped NYR win the '94 Cup, Neil Smith loaned him to Canada, which played an exhibition vs. Brown University. A speedy little sophomore from Boston named Mike Flynn forced Anderson into a hooking penalty away from the puck in the neutral zone. Flynn's cousin, Bill Caulfield, was the captain of my Rhode Island beer-league team in summer of 1994, and because he was so mad at other teams spiking their rosters with ringers, Billy got Mikey to play with us. Needless to say, Fresh Coat Painting won the title. And I can say that I played on a team with a guy that made Glenn Anderson take a hooking penalty.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
John Flyers Fan said:
Very good, not great player.

Certainly helped by playing on those loaded Oilers teams.

Fearless going to the net.
Clutch goal scorer.

Very dirty with his stick.

Could play on my team anytime.

Steve Shutt is in the HOF and had less goals (424 to 498) less 50 goal seasons and most importantly less points (817 to 1099)

one could say Shutt benefitted from great players he had of the Canadiens dynasty

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Anderson WILL get into the Hall of Fame eventually. At 498 goals that will help him big time. Also 6 Cups will help him. Being a clutch goal scorer and a Canada Cup veteran will also help him. I can think of guys like Shutt, Barber and others that made it eventually. Barber took a while to get in he wasnt in there right off the start if I remember correctly. And Anderson was arguably better than Barber.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Barber took a while to get in he wasnt in there right off the start if I remember correctly. And Anderson was arguably better than Barber.

I disagree with that. Barber was a better all-around player. Great penalty killer, played the point on the PP.

Anderson is better than players that are in the Hall (Joey Mullen).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The one thing that really stands out to me is that, unlike Kurri, Messier, and Coffey, he never really performed at a high level without Gretzky. Between 1988 and 1994, when he was age 27-33 and should have still been in his prime, he averaged ~23 goals and ~58 points/season. Not great stuff, especially given the offensive nature of that period.

Whether it's right or not, the endless rumours and innuendo about his lifestyle won't help out his HHOF case either.

He was one of the best clutch/playoff performers ever, though, and that could be enough to get him in. Otherwise it's touch-and-go. No post-season all-star berths. No major awards. Top-10 in league scoring only once (9th, 1983). Didn't reach 500 goals. Career numbers are comparable to guys like Brian Bellows and Bobby Smith, obvious non-HHOFers.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Whether it's right or not, the endless rumours and innuendo about his lifestyle won't help out his HHOF case either.

Anderson's a bum who doesn't take care of his kid.

he's a lowlife that doesn't belong in the hall of fame for this reason alone.

innuendo about his lifestyle means nothing. he's a deadbeat dad and is no one to be held in high regard

Last edited:

isles52480

Feb 27, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
Glenn Anderson is a PUNK! and always will be. Can't rememebr if it was the '83 or '84 finals, but it was pretty well known that Dave Langevin was playing on shot knees, he was in the corner and Anderson goes flying into him well after the puck was out of the corner and aims for his knees.

He was public enemy #1 until a guy named Dale Hunter entered the picture.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
isles52480 said:
Glenn Anderson is a PUNK! and always will be. Can't rememebr if it was the '83 or '84 finals, but it was pretty well known that Dave Langevin was playing on shot knees, he was in the corner and Anderson goes flying into him well after the puck was out of the corner and aims for his knees.

He was public enemy #1 until a guy named Dale Hunter entered the picture.

I'm sure he remembers his spear from Billy Smith just as fondly. :)

MS said:
The one thing that really stands out to me is that, unlike Kurri, Messier, and Coffey, he never really performed at a high level without Gretzky. Between 1988 and 1994, when he was age 27-33 and should have still been in his prime, he averaged ~23 goals and ~58 points/season. Not great stuff, especially given the offensive nature of that period.

He was one of the best clutch/playoff performers ever, though, and that could be enough to get him in. Otherwise it's touch-and-go. No post-season all-star berths. No major awards. Top-10 in league scoring only once (9th, 1983). Didn't reach 500 goals. Career numbers are comparable to guys like Brian Bellows and Bobby Smith, obvious non-HHOFers.

Anderson played with Mess not Gretzky and no one will confuse Messier as a great playmaker. In his prime Anderson created his own space on the ice and many of his own chances, unlike a guy like Hull who has depended on a centremen getting him the puck for his entire career.

Anderson is most similar in career to a guy like Claude Lemieux. He had better regular season numbers and it was there he benfitted from being on the OIlers, but in the playoffs when the defence clamped down he was able to score and contribut in big ways. Never a defensive player because Sather never wanted or needed him to be one.

Anderson and Lowe are to me the most borderline cases for the HHOF (along with Moog) from those Oilers teams. My initial reaction is no, he won't make it; but some time in the future in a very light year for players he could sneak in.

espo*

Whether one thinks he was a great player or good player i have to say i think he is definately under-rated.He was a darn good goal scorer and most importantly was a "big" goal scorer.The bigger the game the more you could be sure Glennie would burn the other team with a timely goal.I must have heard my brother curse the guy out a million times(he's a big flyers fan) because glennie was always roasting the flyers when they met in the stanley cup.I think he was a bigger thorn in my brothers side then Wayne himself.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I alway look at Glenn as the one that got away.

The Rockies picked Steve Peters 4 picks before hand and they made a point of going after DU players. Hindsight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->