Glenn Anderson Defensive Threat

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Ruel was horrible at line matching which is to say he didnt do it. Lafleur was seeing Hunter and Lumley lots, Habs had 2 of the games on home ice.

Sevigny comments was out of this world dumb. That kind of thing should never happen and the Oilers made him pay.

Habs didn't do much in 80 or 81 in playoffs and were a spent force.

Lafleur and Robinson were pretty good in the series and basically all the offensive chances the Habs had seemed to go through them. Rejean Houle was decent as well.

Thing is the 81 Oilers were already a very exemplary forward line up. Just because the NHL didn't know who some of these guys were was the leagues own problem. Callighen grossly underrated player, Kurri coming into his own, and Gretz had even more liberty playing with a couple players that were good defensively as well. The Oilers had all kinds of speed to throw at the Habs and Hunter, Lumley, Weir, Kurri, Hagman, Anderson, Callighen, they could shut it down as forwards and really limit time and space out there. The Oilers had the speed, great defensive forwards, they hardly even used Unger, they didn't have to. Plus they had Sather on the bench knowing exactly how to stop the Habs.

You could just see it in the series all the time. The Habs were good at getting space, creating some distance to make plays. But against the Oilers who closed excellently they were really taking all the play making time away and forcing turnovers. So many times in that series Lafleur or Robinson would make a pretty good rush only for the play to fail. The same plays work against a lot of other slower clubs. Habs were shocked that the Oilers had better speed, and moved the puck faster.

Shout out to Siltanen as well. The NHL didn't even know who this player was. he was better than Coffey still at that stage. For those of us that followed the Oilers up from the WHA we knew this to be a solid squad. Took the NHL some time to notice it.

What did Sevigny say? Whatever it was, if I was going to face Gretzky et al. I would have kept a lid on it.

Why did the Oil part ways with Siltanen? I don't remember but yes he was better than Coffey at this stage of the game.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
As a Flyers fan, I can attest to Andersons perseverance, fierce competitive spirit, and all around awesomeness. Loved watching him play.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
What did Sevigny say? Whatever it was, if I was going to face Gretzky et al. I would have kept a lid on it.

Why did the Oil part ways with Siltanen? I don't remember but yes he was better than Coffey at this stage of the game.
Sevigny famously stated that Guy Lafleur would put the kid (Wayne) in his pocket. just a dunce thing to state. I can't imagine even Lafleur would do anything but roll his eyes at that comment.

It was typical though of the NHL overlook towards the WHA squads, which were all reasonably good clubs.

I dont remember what happened with Siltanen. Loved watching him wind it up but watching the games its interesting how mobile he is and how confident with puck. The guy could still play in todays NHL. Really skilled.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sevigny famously stated that Guy Lafleur would put the kid (Wayne) in his pocket. just a dunce thing to state. I can't imagine even Lafleur would do anything but roll his eyes at that comment.

It was typical though of the NHL overlook towards the WHA squads, which were all reasonably good clubs.

I dont remember what happened with Siltanen. Loved watching him wind it up but watching the games its interesting how mobile he is and how confident with puck. The guy could still play in todays NHL. Really skilled.

I think it was Mondou who said that but whichever one did it summed up the attitude(s) towards the upstart Oilers. They paid the price for it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Shutt played another 2 seasons for the Habs but his best days were long gone.

Larry Robinson continued on for another 6 years and just kept getting better. He was amazing even in his mid-thirties.

The Flower had another few good seasons with the Canadiens but the 50 goal campaigns were history.

IIRC, Guy was driving home one night and a telephone pole jumped out on the road. He was never the same player after that.

The guy they missed in that '81 Oiler series was Lemaire. He rarely had a bad playoff game but he retired relatively early. Lemaire was one of the most underrated Habs to ever play the game.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I wish we could get a whole season from 84 or 87 lol. I would sit and watch every game like it was the regular season now. I have a bunch of recorded Oiler games on VHS. That OT gretzky goal over Vernons shoulder. Gretz last game for Edm (Cup win). Some regular season games. 90 cup win. Few others.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010

If I recall correctly, Sather wanted more overall depth up front, and traded him for Kenny Linseman. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall regarding Coffey being ready to take the next step.......

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I wish we could get a whole season from 84 or 87 lol. I would sit and watch every game like it was the regular season now. I have a bunch of recorded Oiler games on VHS. That OT gretzky goal over Vernons shoulder. Gretz last game for Edm (Cup win). Some regular season games. 90 cup win. Few others.

the 81 series is excellent, but the vhs quality of the tapes available are pretty horrible. Such a shame. Its also a shame that ITV, the local independent that covered the team, recorded over almost all the tapes. I mean who do that? Just buy other tapes.

That was the best hockey team of all time, and a lot of those game tapes are gone. I had a larger collection, but VHS tapes start badly sticking after time. They just weren't playing any more. Couldn't even wind most of my tapes manually, exerting a lot of pressure. Even though I had the tapes stored perfectly in dry, dark cool conditions in basement. Even tapes I had from as recently as say 2000, they don't play worth shit. pretty bad technology. Conversely I have tape casssettes from 1970's that still play fine.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
the 81 series is excellent, but the vhs quality of the tapes available are pretty horrible. Such a shame. Its also a shame that ITV, the local independent that covered the team, recorded over almost all the tapes. I mean who do that? Just buy other tapes.

That was the best hockey team of all time, and a lot of those game tapes are gone. I had a larger collection, but VHS tapes start badly sticking after time. They just weren't playing any more. Couldn't even wind most of my tapes manually, exerting a lot of pressure. Even though I had the tapes stored perfectly in dry, dark cool conditions in basement. Even tapes I had from as recently as say 2000, they don't play worth shit. pretty bad technology. Conversely I have tape casssettes from 1970's that still play fine.
Damn they recorded over them?so stupid. Yeah, some of the games I have are from ITV broadcasts.

I have to find them, but I converted them to dvd

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Damn they recorded over them?so stupid. Yeah, some of the games I have are from ITV broadcasts.

I mean its just amazing that a Station that had enough wherewithal to house Second city revue and make that program with all those budding stars, and that had enough commonsense to get Oilers rights at the best time possible to ever have them, were dumb enough to record over both.

I mean they don't even have all the Second City tapings left anymore.

just curious how you converted them. Its costly using the conversion services they have. Do you have your own software and setup for that? I'm not great at tech. I tried to do it off a combo VCR/DVD player I had. But nothing worked. Now none of the VHS even play and I threw most of them out.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

The same thing happened to a lot of Bobby Orr's greatest games.

The CBC was so cheap that they recorded over them so many of those classic goals are simply gone forever.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I mean its just amazing that a Station that had enough wherewithal to house Second city revue and make that program with all those budding stars, and that had enough commonsense to get Oilers rights at the best time possible to ever have them, were dumb enough to record over both.

I mean they don't even have all the Second City tapings left anymore.

just curious how you converted them. Its costly using the conversion services they have. Do you have your own software and setup for that? I'm not great at tech. I tried to do it off a combo VCR/DVD player I had. But nothing worked. Now none of the VHS even play and I threw most of them out.
I am trying to remember the name. There was/is a store in Edmonton that did this.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
The same thing happened to a lot of Bobby Orr's greatest games.

The CBC was so cheap that they recorded over them so many of those classic goals are simply gone forever.
Weird how they did not see that people would want to see these.

I don't watch it, but I like reading about businessmen. Vince McMahon of the WWE knew what he had. he saved everything and his goal was to have his own WWE network, which he did and there is so much footage on there.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No Anderson goal was bigger than the one in game 7 of the 1987 Stanley Cup final. His seeing eye shot beat Hextall late in the third to make it 3-1 and seal the deal. Without that shot well who knows what may have happened?

Fuhr stood on his head in that game to atone for Oiler defensive errors. Could he have held the fort till the end with a one goal advantage? Only the shadow knows, I suppose.
That was one of my faourite moments in the old Coliseum. That whole crowd went nuts. Such a tense game right from the get go.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
"Ricky fancied himself a bit of a Glenn Anderson type, that is a playmaker ya know cause he'd get really high and thought he could see into the future and stuff."
- Bubbles

Reactions: TB12

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I remember a moment in that Habs upset, when Mess was in a stare down with Robinson near center ice. Mess drew his stick back like babe ruth. Larry was a big man....

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Not to take away from the point of this thread, but holy shit was Coffey an effortless skater. It's feels like 2 strides from blue line to blue line and he's somehow picking up speed.

(I'm watching NHL Classics - 1984, GM 5 - Islanders/Oilers Stanley Cup Final)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->