Glendale: Still incompetent, and now attemping to wiggle out of the lease (Post 200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
I don't see any way this team is in Glendale past the 5 year out clause. This sideshow will surely guarantee they hit the $50M in losses (not that any help was really needed in that department) and why would the team want to stay after being blindsided like this.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I don't follow the NFL so pardon my ignorance, but I'm wondering why the Cardinals play at UoP in Glendale instead of sharing Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe?

They did share it back in the day but no one wants to be at a game at 1pm when it was 120 degrees. Then a new site was agreed upon near Tempe but blew apart and Glendale stepped up with land and infrastructure next to the future Westgate area.

Here is an old article on that site: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=99843

But really, its takes about an hour to go to a Cardinals game on a Sunday. It takes me almost 2 hours to go in the same direction for a M-F game for the Coyotes. Thats 4 hours round trip since I live in Gilbert if there isn't a traffic accident.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't follow the NFL so pardon my ignorance, but I'm wondering why the Cardinals play at UoP in Glendale instead of sharing Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe?

UoP is immensely better then Sun Devil Stadium. Covered stadium with retractable roof, AC, more luxury suites, an entire special club level that goes around most of the stadium.

The Cardinals played at Sun Devil for close to 20 years before UoP was built.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
They did share it back in the day but no one wants to be at a game at 1pm when it was 120 degrees. Then a new site was agreed upon near Tempe but blew apart and Glendale stepped up with land and infrastructure next to the future Westgate area.

Here is an old article on that site: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=99843

But really, its takes about an hour to go to a Cardinals game on a Sunday. It takes me almost 2 hours to go in the same direction for a M-F game for the Coyotes. Thats 4 hours round trip since I live in Gilbert if there isn't a traffic accident.

Didn't the story here have something to do with airplanes, post 9/11? I remember there being some coverage on that. Then Glendale stepped up with all the property and parking, etc.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I don't see any way this team is in Glendale past the 5 year out clause. This sideshow will surely guarantee they hit the $50M in losses (not that any help was really needed in that department) and why would the team want to stay after being blindsided like this.

As soon as Glendale delivers their notice of cancellation (which should be sometime this week) the Coyotes don't have a lease with the arena and they could go anywhere. No need to wait another 3 years since that clause and lease no longer exist. (Again pending Glendale hand delivers their request and an injunction on the Coyotes side fails).

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Didn't the story here have something to do with airplanes, post 9/11? I remember there being some coverage on that. Then Glendale stepped up with all the property and parking, etc.

As I recall, the stadium project was greenlighted but then questions were raised about the height of the stadium considering its proximity to the airport. They were considering digging deeper into the ground to lower the top of the proposed staium design and then Glendale came in before they could do it.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't think it was 9/11 related, I think it had something to do with the stadium being too high for that location because of it's proximity to the runways for Sky Harbor.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

Ah found it:

Sports authority gives Glendale the nod

The board voted 7-1 to make Glendale the preferred site for a $350 million, air-conditioned football stadium

Glendale's site is rural, although proponents predict enormous growth around a sports complex of the football stadium and a new hockey arena for the Phoenix Coyotes.

"Looking down the road 10 years, this site is going to be the center of the Valley,'' board member C.A. Howlett said.

A ticket surcharge was an integral part of Tempe's second attempt to land the stadium, a late bid that emerged July 29. But supporters couldn't get past concerns about a lack of parking spaces and traffic congestion, and the Tempe City Council backed out of the running Aug. 16.

Glendale's site is the third to wear the official seal of the TSA, which opted first for a Tempe proposal it had to abandon because of proximity to Phoenix's Sky Harbor International Airport.

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/news/2002/0829/1424858.html

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That was the second attempt, when I believe they were trying to put it near where Tempe Marketplace is now. The first attempt, if I remember right, was a few miles west of there around Priest where Tempe Town Lake ends.

Yep. FAA had an issue with that bid, if I remember right. NFL stadium in the middle of relative nowhere is not unusual or a major problem. A hockey or basketball arena is a different story.

We're about to find out just how much the NHL actually cares about the market.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
Ugh... Having it in Tempe would have been so much nicer.

It would have but it would have cost a lot more. At the time it was built Glendale was a lot cheaper to build in than Tempe. Before the bubble burst on Real Estate I'm sure a the Developers and the City had visions of getting really rich.

Its why most new projects like this are either built where there is nothing there. Or in slum area's where the land is cheap. I never heard of a project like this being built in the Rich Part Of Town.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Having the Cardinals in another part of the state does zero for them. They have a beautiful stadium with a/c and one of the best playing surfaces in the league. They finally have a huge lot where fans tail gate which helps to create a stronger, more loyal fan base. They sell out ever game and have easy in/out/freeway access.

It's the NFL. They could have built it off the 303 with the same features above and would have sold out. You can't compare the NFL's 10 home dates (including preseason) on Sunday with revenue streams which allows them to print money, to the Coyotes situation.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
THN reports there's "speculation" that Barroway hasn't been able to keep up with the payments.

Is that accurate, or been reported anywhere else?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Mayor Stanton officially weighs in: http://ktar.com/22/1841702/Phoenix-mayor-Keeping-Arizona-Coyotes-is-important-for-Valley

"Most leaders in this community, both elected officials as well as the business community and the community as a whole, (say) ‘We want the Coyotes to stay here in the Valley of the Sun,'" he said.

However, if the team and the Glendale City Council cannot resolve their differences, Stanton said, as a leader in the community, he would do what he can to keep the team here.

"I don't want to lose this regional asset and so I'm willing to do my part to make sure that that regional asset stays in our community," he said.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Reads your location

Reads article

Sees article author

Sees reporters source

Ignores article
You can play the Northern hate card all you want. But, I go to games in Glendale, and pay for my tickets, so I'm not unfamiliar with the arena.
And I didn't say they were leaving Arizona. Neither does the article. But staying in Glendale looks more and more unlikely. Maybe one more year, but after that, who knows. It's getting to be like a bitter divorce.
I wasn't attacking you, just adding what I read on TSN way up here in Canada.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
THN reports there's "speculation" that Barroway hasn't been able to keep up with the payments.

Is that accurate, or been reported anywhere else?

If it doesn't come from TSN, ESPN, or reporters connected to the team, it didn't happen.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Does anyone know how much debt got paid off when Barroway came in?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You can play the Northern hate card all you want. But, I go to games in Glendale, and pay for my tickets, so I'm not unfamiliar with the arena.
And I didn't say they were leaving Arizona. Neither does the article. But staying in Glendale looks more and more unlikely. Maybe one more year, but after that, who knows. It's getting to be like a bitter divorce.
I wasn't attacking you, just adding what I read on TSN way up here in Canada.
I haven't seen you around these parts yet you have over 100 posts and claim to go to games, you only support hockey when the Canucks are in town? If so, kick rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad