Glendale: Still incompetent, and now attemping to wiggle out of the lease (Post 200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
New jersey leaked! :sarcasm:

gt6W8dr.jpg

Consider how many people feel about him, that could be a New Jersey theme.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I took one look at the post count and immediately DM'd a mod to say I ain't going near it.

There are maybe a small handfull of posters who are worth reading because I've been always interested in how these things work and they provide a lot of insight, unfortunately they get drowned out by all the drive by artists.

May eventually go back and dive in, but got too many things in RL to deal with at the moment.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I wonder where we go from here. Without the $ 15M subsidy (ahem... meant 'arena management fee'), the team can't go on. The numbers don't work. Period. So even if there was a temporary relocation to US Airways center, or a new arena being built, no city in the valley is going to subsidize this team.

Ownership has a wonderful opportunity to potentially take over a new market for FREE, with the NHL waiving a reloc fee and suing the city for tens of millions instead. If I'm Barroway, I have zero incentive to stay at this point. Relocation would virtually guarantee attendance for at least 2 to 3 years until the novelty aspect wears out.

I'm trying hard to picture a favorable scenario for us fans, but I just can't come up with one.

As far as the city's concerned, if the loophole they found actually has legal grounds, I can't blame them for walking away. They had to take action within 3 years, and right now the deal looks terrible. They seem to be better off just getting concerts in there. Much cheaper that way. Plus, with the team being terrible, now is a good time for them to get rid of it. No-one in town cares.

The only person able to save this franchise is Bettman with the NHL somehow footing the bill for the lost revenue, making a deal with the Suns, and hoping to cut his losses with proceeds from a lawsuit, but man, the guy must be just burnt out by now. At some point, you just throw in the towel and move on.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm trying hard to picture a favorable scenario for us fans, but I just can't come up with one.

There isn't one. We couldn't be more of a collection of unpersons if we were characters in a George Orwell novel.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
The way it would work downtown is if they figure out a way to bridge the $6 -8 million they get from Glendale. You could adjust in increased ticket sales but they wouldn't be able to do it if they got less in ad, suite, and concessions revenue. Of course any shortfall in the hopes of a new arena where capacity is much higher might be the cost of business. Even if every game in Glendale sold out, it would still not be top 20 in attendance due to its size.

People joke about low week day attendance but there are plenty of sellouts on weekends.

I hear Glendale is already putting an RFP together for the management deal...jumping the gun eh? Other then Ian Hugh's friend, what real company would jump in after seeing what they did last night?

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The NHL is not going to wave any fees. It's possible Glendale ends up subsidising the team and the team not even be in Glendale.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
The NHL is not going to wave any fees. It's possible Glendale ends up subsidising the team and the team not even be in Glendale.

That would be amazing. haha

But I'm expecting relocation within 12 months.

No kidding on the "hurt the business front" though. I will not be buying a new jersey, I will not be getting my ticket package, and I probably won't even give them the viewership on TV either (as I did last year).

I'll follow the team here on HF, but probably won't be doing too much.

If that is just me, I can't imagine what other fans are doing. Definitely hurts the business.

indczn

May 28, 2008
I wonder where we go from here. Without the $ 15M subsidy (ahem... meant 'arena management fee'), the team can't go on. The numbers don't work. Period. So even if there was a temporary relocation to US Airways center, or a new arena being built, no city in the valley is going to subsidize this team.

Ownership has a wonderful opportunity to potentially take over a new market for FREE, with the NHL waiving a reloc fee and suing the city for tens of millions instead. If I'm Barroway, I have zero incentive to stay at this point. Relocation would virtually guarantee attendance for at least 2 to 3 years until the novelty aspect wears out.

As far as the city's concerned, if the loophole they found actually has legal grounds, I can't blame them for walking away. They had to take action within 3 years, and right now the deal looks terrible. They seem to be better off just getting concerts in there. Much cheaper that way. Plus, with the team being terrible, now is a good time for them to get rid of it. No-one in town cares.

The only person able to save this franchise is Bettman with the NHL somehow footing the bill for the lost revenue, making a deal with the Suns, and hoping to cut his losses with proceeds from a lawsuit, but man, the guy must be just burnt out by now. At some point, you just throw in the towel and move on.

For me, Favorable would be building the arena at talking stick with the suns and them not wasting an illusions for the next 2-3 years that the team can be prodded into the playoffs with old farts.

Trade for Savard/Pronger to circumvent the floor short term. Spend as little as possible the next 2-3 years and accumulating and developing talent. Open up in the new building with a ton of young talent and be ready to contend, with the NHL doing the market a favor with the #1 next year.

At least this way there would be absolutely no illusions that this team would contend and there would be no expectations to. It's not ideal, but I can't say next season looked to have any promise anyway after getting bent over in the draft. Having the arena 30 minutes closer would be fantastic in 2 years would be fantastic.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I dont remember the last Governor saying anything about this issue in the past. At least the situation has been acknowledged.

Gov. Doug Ducey wants Arizona Coyotes to stay, but it's 'a Glendale issue'

"What I want to see is what's in the best interest of the state, and when you can keep a professional franchise here and they can make the proper decisions to do that, I'm all for it," he said. "I'm very curious as to what their solution set is."

http://ktar.com/22/1841645/Gov-Doug-Ducey-wants-Arizona-Coyotes-to-stay-but-its-a-Glendale-issue

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
A serious question here - I wonder if the draft viewing party at GRA is still going to happen.

I've already taken the vacation time for it so I hope it does.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I just listened to a recording of LeBlanc on Bickley's show. The Coyotes are pissed, and for them its not just business, its personal with a capital P. LeBlanc and Barroway walked into a supposed meet and greet to face Mayor, vice mayor and counsel for Glendale wihout advance notice that this meeting would include legal issues and to bring their attorney. They were blindsided with the demand to renegotiate of face what occurred yesterday.

That's the essence of LeBlanc's claim of unprofessionalism.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
I just listened to a recording of LeBlanc on Bickley's show. The Coyotes are pissed, and for them its not just business, its personal with a capital P. LeBlanc and Barroway walked into a supposed meet and greet to face Mayor, vice mayor and counsel for Glendale wihout advance notice that this meeting would include legal issues and to bring their attorney. They were blindsided with the demand to renegotiate of face what occurred yesterday.

That's the essence of LeBlanc's claim of unprofessionalism.

Should make their reelection campaign interesting.

Leafs2020

May 20, 2015
Moncton, NB, Canada

I understand the fans frustration but again a high percentage of the city of Glendale agreed with this otherwise the city council wouldn't of voted 5-2 for it. I am sure he will continue to get business from those who want that money put elsewhere regardless if its only 2% of their annual budget. Sucks all around to be honest

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers fan here,

One thing that down right pisses me off are all these entitled "traditional" markets who talk down you guys because you can't "support your team". It's a crock load of crap.

It's funny because a few years ago I used to think that. I've completely changed my mind on that. We need markets that aren't traditional, it's great for the growth of the game. And for this to happen to you guys, and all the stupid "LOL YOU GUYS DONT DESERVE A TEAM" nonsense going around, it's pathetic.

I really hope the Coyotes stay where they are.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I understand the fans frustration but again a high percentage of the city of Glendale agreed with this otherwise the city council wouldn't of voted 5-2 for it. I am sure he will continue to get business from those who want that money put elsewhere regardless if its only 2% of their annual budget. Sucks all around to be honest

Eh not sure about that. The only poll we would have would be the business owners and residents from Glendale that spoke up last night. I didn't count but it wasn't a high percentage of residents. Ian Hugh wants his buddy to get the management contract for a million a year.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Oilers fan here,

One thing that down right pisses me off are all these entitled "traditional" markets who talk down you guys because you can't "support your team". It's a crock load of crap.

It's funny because a few years ago I used to think that. I've completely changed my mind on that. We need markets that aren't traditional, it's great for the growth of the game. And for this to happen to you guys, and all the stupid "LOL YOU GUYS DONT DESERVE A TEAM" nonsense going around, it's pathetic.

Piss off. You sent us Gagner and Arcobello to sabotage our tank!

Thanks for the kind words though.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013

Where is that sourced (the high percentage of people agreed to this)? Marriage equality would be legal in all 50 states if politicians did the will of the people. Even the mayor last night said he was elected to do whats "best for the city", not what the people want.

Oilers fan here,

Mother of god, i need more of you in my life.

Leafs2020

May 20, 2015
Moncton, NB, Canada
Where is that sourced?

Its not sourced but if you think 3/4 of the city council will commit political suicide over 6 million a year without residents being the ones bringing the issues to them you don't know politics. Those people wouldn't go to the meeting they are affluent and aren't passionate like the lower/middle class residents. I'm not saying its right in any way shape or form but there is a reason for it.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Its not sourced but if you think 3/4 of the city council will commit political suicide over 6 million a year without residents being the ones bringing the issues to them you don't know politics. Those people wouldn't go to the meeting they are affluent and aren't passionate like the lower/middle class residents. I'm not saying its right in any way shape or form but there is a reason for it.

Uhh.... Politicians commit political suicide all the time. We live in Arizona, LAND OF POLITICAL SUICIDE. We almost gave businesses the right to refuse people based on their perception of sexual orientation.

There has been no editorial noise in this state. The AZ REpublic has officially backed the Coyotes side on this editorially. There has been no business noise that I've heard, and I'm moderately plugged into West Valley politics and city management (though not Glendale, honestly). I've heard nothing from teabagging activist groups like Goldwater. You are woefully misinformed that this has been a publicly discussed or debated issue in Glendale or the greater valley.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't follow the NFL so pardon my ignorance, but I'm wondering why the Cardinals play at UoP in Glendale instead of sharing Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe?

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
I don't follow the NFL so pardon my ignorance, but I'm wondering why the Cardinals play at UoP in Glendale instead of sharing Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe?

In the NFL, suites are king. The lack of major suite/corporate support precludes you from a lot of revenue, and 100% excludes you from major events like the SB. This is why the SB is no longer in San Diego, despite it being by far the best place to host it (from a weather/town perspective).

From my understanding, Sun Devil stadium just doesnt have the capacity and corporate box support for a major NFL franchise.

(also what others said... weather helps with the Dome).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->