Speculation: Glen Gulutzan in Conversation with Buffalo Regarding an A'sst Coaching Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
1 team will win the Cup this year, 30 teams will lose. Cross those 30 teams off the list. Wait to see who wins the Cup and just sign all the coaches from that organization.:help:

Can they just hire back Bob Woods and his PP again please.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
1 team will win the Cup this year, 30 teams will lose. Cross those 30 teams off the list. Wait to see who wins the Cup and just sign all the coaches from that organization.:help:

Take into consideration the personnel on the PP as well. With Dahlin, Jack, Ristolainen and Reinhart, you have four players that can gel and significantly improve the passing / efficiency and creativity with pristine passing. So the personnel is just as important as the coach running the PP.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Ah this brings me back to my good ole why did the Sabres let go of Bob Woods rants and the the arguments that followed against me on if a PP coach has any bearing on the PP or is it just the players hes given.

Good times.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Ah this brings me back to my good ole why did the Sabres let go of Bob Woods rants and the the arguments that followed against me on if a PP coach has any bearing on the PP or is it just the players hes given.

Good times.
O'Reilly and Reinhart funk in the 1st half of the season was the reason the PP struggled.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
We should bring in guys whose teams won a lot when they served as assistants. They'll help us win more games.

*looks at Housley*
Housley never should have been the coach in the first place. Its too bad you can't see that. By the way what did Housley win as an assistant? Sigh....

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Is that how they hired Botts? Sounds like the formula

We want to change the culture! So you think winning has nothing to do with it? You are right. It doesn't matter. . It seems in pretty much any sport teams who win their assistants get offered HC jobs, I could be wrong but maybe teams do line up for last place assistants in sports.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Moulson in '16-17 was also a viable PP producer in the first three months of the season on PP2. They got almost nothing out of that unit this year.
They were 6th in the NHL the final 41 games, 30th the first 41. Did they hire Woods back?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
O'Reilly and Reinhart funk in the 1st half of the season was the reason the PP struggled.
You could take that struggle and say the coaches should have found a way to make it work with both players. I mean we found out at the end of the season Reinhart had to go back to his game because Housleys system or the assistant coaches teaching wasnt working for him and we got the Sam Reinhart we drafted at #2 overall after the Winter Classic only after he took it upon himself.

Bob Woods made our PP work with the same players now. Whatever he did he had the players believing in the PP and it worked.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Their PP stunk just as bad as the previous two years prior in terms of zone entry and unlike two years prior the variety of using Eichel consisted of Left Point and left half wall. Sabres PP relied very heavily on ROR winning face offs and Reinhart in front of the net.

The Sabres PP is the only “entertainment” portion of the this team and it’s still trash.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't they go out and get a multiple Cup-winning administrator, hire a gold-medal winning HC, and hire a Cup-winning assistant coach?

Maybe they want to add another set of eyes, not sure if this is a replacement situation. Hajt's first time in the NHL, he ran the D and did they make any strides with the big club? That's a question for management to address and maybe they're looking to find someone better, especially given the shiny new Swedish toy they're about to have in the lineup.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Wonder who he would replace if he was hired.

Tom Ward maybe? Or Chris Hajt?

I'd be surprised if it was Davis Payne.

Would Gulutzan be an offensive assistant or defensive assistant?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Moulson in '16-17 was also a viable PP producer in the first three months of the season on PP2. They got almost nothing out of that unit this year.

And Housley didn't even give him a real chance on the PP.

Housley never should have been the coach in the first place. Its too bad you can't see that. By the way what did Housley win as an assistant? Sigh....

And therein lies the sarcasm. Did you feel a breeze as that one flew over your head?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I don't know how to read assistant coaches. I thought both Terry Murray and Davis Payne were absolute home run hires at the time and we saw little to no improvement.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't know if Gulutzan is good but he's probably an upgrade on Housley

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It's a pipe dream but I wish we could bring in Messier or Stevens. More ideally the player equivalent because that room needs a kick in the...

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
It's a pipe dream but I wish we could bring in Messier or Stevens. More ideally the player equivalent because that room needs a kick in the...

I think we need someone like Torts, a guy who will kick players in the ads if they don't give 100%. The downside is those type of coaches end up having the message go stale pretty quick unless they have a complete buy-in from everyone in the organization, because the first time he tries to sit Eichel for a lazy shift the media will turn on him.

I think Housley would be better as an assistant on this team, I want someone out front taking heat off the players and firing their own shots back at the reporters. Someone well respected around the league not because of how talented they were, but because they went out and worked their tail off. Actually Messier might be the perfect guy if he has intrest in coaching. Someone who wasn't afraid to tell Gretzky to sit down and shut up is exactly what we need.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
:nod:
Looks like Jack was ahead of his time.

Could you imagine the crow Leafs fans would eat if Babcock got canned because a rift with "coach killer" Matthews!!

Living in Toronto and hearing all the insiders speak, the Leafs front office situation is fascinating. Basically Lou was brought in because Babcock wanted to run the show and was going to steamroll Dubas. He respects Lou though so he toed the line. Lou is out and now Shanny fears again that Babcock will just steamroll Dubas. They blocked Dubas from taking the Colorado job though with the idea being he was Lou's successor. But Hunter is the more accomplished and respected hockey guy there and he won't report to Dubas if he gets the job. They asked Babcock in a rAdio interview if he would be ok with Dubas as GM and his answer was very awkward and non commital. Also, if Dubas gets the job and can't get along with Babcock, Dubas's guy is Keefe, coach of the Marlies. But would Shanny let Dubas Fire Babcock? It is some top level soap opera stuff going on in Leafland!

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'm hoping for drama in Toronto, if it doesn't exist the Toronto media will do its best to create it. This story about a meeting between Babcock and Matthews to clear the air may be just one in a long line of Steve Simmons fabrications. According to others Babcock is on a family vacation in Arizona, a very popular and normal vacation destination and there's no meeting with Matthews.

If there is drama in Toronto Shanahan will have nobody to blame other than himself for it. When you bring in Lou Lamoriello, even though it's on a 3 year basis and Lou said he was fine with it, you had to know that if things went well and Lou remained in good health that he would want to continue on as the GM and replacing the don of NHL GM's with a very young analytics minded prodigy would not go over well with the old school as they come Mike Babcock. Then there's the Mark Hunter issue, he's the guy the Leafs can least afford to lose, he's why they are deep in prospects, he's the guy who supposedly fought hard for Marner when the rest of the Leafs management/coaches wanted Hanifin. The word is that the minute Dubas is named GM Hunter is on the road down the 401 back to London. Again this is what Steve Simmons and other Toronto media are saying but most likely they are only speculating since nobody from that management team is saying anything to the press. Hunter knew like everybody else that Dubas was the heir apparent. Shanahan put himself into this box, with the success they've had under Lou they should have just rolling with him on a year to year basis but that probably would mean Dubas leaves. Losing Dubas shouldn't be a big deal, Shanahan made it into one. He may turn into a mediocre GM for all they know.

I do think there will be legit drama with them, Babcock is a pain to play and work with, as long as the team is winning as it did in Detroit things simmered but didn't boil over. Nylander will be the first sent packing, he's been Babcock's whipping boy. Then it will come down to Matthews vs Babcock at some point. Marner is the ultimate good hockey kid, Babcock rode him hard, harder than Eichel or Reinhart have ever been ridden here, and all he does is work harder and get better.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->