GKJ's annual Mornin'-O'-Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Here is my mock draft, right before the draft per usual! Lottery picks I will give explinations for, the rest I will just go.

1Washington CapitalsAlexander Ovechkin

I think it is rather clear by now. No explination really needed.

2Pittsburgh PenguinsEvgeny Malkin

This is rather clear as well. Malkin is the 2nd best player in this draft, he's big, he's a center, and he is what Pittsburgh needs.

3Chicago BlackhawksCam Barker

The consensus best defenseman in this draft, he fills a rather large hole on defense for Chicago, some people are thinking a foward, I do not.

4Columbus Blue JacketsRostislav Olesz
I actually think Columbus will trade down, because they need a defenseman too. Maybe Florida, Anaheim, LA, Minnesota. Columbus' bigger need is a defenseman, and there is no one at 4 who warrents that. However if they keep the pick, I think Olesz is the guy they take. With Svitov brought in, Olesz would provide a good cast down the middle for the Blue Jackets.

5Phoenix CoyotesAlvaro Montoya

The best goalie in the draft. If you see the Kings move in front of them, then they will probably go with a foward, however I see, and I think many others see Montoya as a better prospect than LeNeveu, and some say you can't have too many goalie prospects, but he fills a legit need in Phoenix

6New York RangersAndrew Ladd

I see Ladd and Tukonen as almost even, but Ladd is more offense which the Rangers could use at this spot.

7Florida PanthersLauri Tukonen

Tukonen is a big guy, with a good touch, and Mike Keenan loves players like this, and Jacques Martin can excel with guys like this in Florida. I projected him to slip because Montoya jumped and the Rangers don't take many trips to Finland. This pick would be almost as good as moving up 3 spots for the Panthers

8Carolina HurricanesA.J. Thelen

Carolina has a glaring need for big, solid defensemen, espically after trading Malec now, I think it is a lock they will take a d-man with this pick.

9Anaheim Mighty DucksRobbie Schremp

Some people think he is a top 5 or 6 pick. I do not. In fact, I would not be suprised to see him drop further because of various issues he had during the season. If he keeps his head cool he will be a great pick.

10Atlanta ThrashersAndrej Meszaros

I think Meszaros is an awsome player, and an awsome fit for the Thrashers along side of Braydon Coburn. The Thrashers have a need at center and at D, I think he is too good to pass up, and is really underrated.

11Los Angeles KingsMarek Schwarz

Whether the Kings get Montoya or Schwarz, it is a great pick for a team sorely lacking goalie prospects. I personally think they shouldn't trade up because these 2 goalies are really close, Montoya just had a great WJC.

12Minnesota WildLadislav Smid

The Wild have a blue line need, as Brent Burns is not a true defenseman. Smid has a good offensive game the Wild could use

13Buffalo SabresDrew Stafford

I think the Sabres are happy Stafford falls to them. They have a big need for defense as well, but at this point, he is the best player available.

14Edmonton OilersAlexandre Picard

Picard is a good prospect, I think he is a great fit for the Oilers system. He's pretty big, he will be a good 2nd liner behind Ryan Smyth as they are the same type of player

15Nashville PredatorsTravis Zajac

16New York IslandersMike Green

17St. Louis BluesWojtek Wolski

18Montreal CanadiensKyle Chipchura

19Calgary FlamesAlexander Radulov

20Dallas StarsEnver Lisin

21Colorado AvalancheDave Bolland

22New Jersey DevilsJakub Sindel

23Ottawa SenatorsBoris Valabik

24New York Rangers (from Toronto)Jeff Schultz

25Edmonton Oilers (from Philadelphia)Devan Dubnyk

26Vancouver CanucksRoman Voloshenko

27Washington Capitals (from Boston)Lauri Korpikoski

28San Jose SharksKirill Lyamin

29Washington Capitals (from Detroit)Johan Fransson

30Tampa Bay LightningPetteri Nokelainen

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
5/30 about what I expected, I said to anyone in the chat whoever gets 5, will be around the top. Ovechkin-Malkin-Barker as 1-2-3 were expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->