Give your top 10 U18 players in the world

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by monster_bertuzzi, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    It seems the NHL has a bright future with some of these studs on the horizon. Here's my top 10:

1)Sidney Crosby - Nothing to say really, other than the best 16 year old player I've seen since Lindros.

2)Gilbert Brule - Now, I know quite a few folks have never even seen Gilbert play, live or tv, but....as a Vancouverite, I've had the pleasure to watch this kid play many, many times. It's safe to say Brule is as naturally gifted as fellow North Vancouver product: Paul Kariya. Brule is about as well-rounded a 16 yr old you well ever find. Has the ability to go end-to-end and un-dress WHL defenceman.

3)Vitaly Anikeenko - The best U18 defenceman in the world for my $$$. Got a chance to finally see the young Russian play at the U17's in St.John's. An absolute tank of a kid, Vitaly is as physically imposing for his age as he is skilled. Can run a powerplay at ease with a lethal slap shot.

4)Guillame Latendresse - Could very well end up being the best player from the 2005 draft, no jokes. At 6'3'' Latendresse is already a bit of a monster on the ice. Idolizes Todd Bertuzzi, and it shows. Guillame likes to dangle with the puck, but also has a 'no nonsense' side to his game, which will lead to NHL stardom.

5)Phil Kessel - Maybe a bit of a stretch, considering he's tiny at 5'9'' 160 pounds, but this guy is just too skilled to look at size. From everything I've read and heard, Kessel is as quick as anyone, and perhaps the best 16 year old American since Mike Modano.

6)Danny Bertram - As a Giants fan, I was cursing for days once I heard the news that Bertram would be taking the college route, instead of playing in the WHL. Simply one of the most skilled 16 year olds you will find. Bertram combines overwhelming skating with a deadly release, and a nose for the net. Kind of small though.

7)Teemu Laakso - Tough decision between Laakso and Anikeenko, Teemu is right behind Anikeenko for me. This towering Fin is a skilled mofo from all reports, and easily the 2nd best U18 defenceman around.

8)Jack Johnson - Yet another great defenceman from the 2005 crop (2005 is a kick *** draft, BTW :D ). The American has good size and great skills. What sets Johnson apart from your average 16 year old defenceman is poise. This guy has NHL stalwart written all over em'.

9)Andrew Cogliano - A speedster. Cogliano, though small, more than makes up for it with blazing, near un-catchable speed. Lead his team (Ontario) to victory at the U17's, impressing everyone in the process.

10)Devin Setoguchi - Shows freakish maturity for a youngster. Played on argueably one of the worst CHL teams in history, but managed to put up solid numbers. Setoguchi has good size and loves to play the body, which scouts drool over.

Well, there you have it folks, my version of the best 16/17 year olds in the world.

Yours?

2. stockwizard*

stockwizard* Guest

Good list! :)
    Would you care to compare and contrast Kessel and Crosby?

3. monster_bertuzzi

Home Page:
    I couldn't, it wouldn't be fair because I've never seen Kessel play. The favourite for #1 in 2006 though. Maybe someone else can?

4. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Here is my top 10 U-18....it's pretty much the same list as Monster here though.

1. F ( 2005 ) Sidney Crosby: No question, the best prospect since Mario, unbelivable talent.

2. F ( 2006) Phil Kessel: Kessel actually out scored Crosby in a tournament two years back that I remember hearing about from a friend of mine who played there ( Nathan Lawrence) I'm not concerned about Kessels size because he'll keep growing at his age and should end up around 5'11. He has courage of a lion though, He LOVES! the trafic. He plays hard in the corners, he'll take a hit to make a play, and just loves being around the net. One of the quickest, shiftiest players i've seen, with hands that make Robbi Schremp jeolous. One of the quickest releases on his shot i've seen at any level, Accurate shot, sniper like qualities. Great moves, can really shake the pants off of anyone. Great playmaker, sets up his teamates very well, makes plays that shouldn't even happen, makes linemates around him considerably better players, just an amazing play maker. but he's a natural sniper first and foremost.
    I love Brule but this guy is special and dominated at a U-18's at a young age.

3. F ( 2005) Gilbert Brule: This guy has all the skill you could ask for and he also brings alot of heart and physical play to the table.
    Gilbert Brule: First off let me say, The hype on this guy could be defaning if it wasn't for Crosby stealing the show. Brule is an amazing, elite talent that by the looks of it, could go #1 overall in most drafts IMO. This guy has it all, He's not big, They have him listed at 5-10 176, but you would never notice. This guy well punish you, You touch the puck, he's going to finish his check on you, I love his game, he's got an edge, and agression, a passion to it. Such a strong player on the puck, An excelent skater. Very quick, has elite acceleration and he is a very fast player, He also uses his speed very effectively. Amazing hands, he can make defensman look bad. He has a flair to his game, he's not all power and heart, Gilbert has some elite hands. He can go end to end. Amazing shooting arsenal. Hit the pipe twice, on two monster slap shots. Scored in the 2nd period, made the goalie look scared then put it between the legs. Awesome. Very creative as well, can sit his man up for gimme goals witch he did. He's a nasty, competiive player in the corners, much like Forsberg. Alot of fun to watch. After watching him play, it makes me wonder if Crosby is that big of a lock? Next years WJC should be very interesting if both are invited.

4. D ( 2005) Vitaly Anikeenko. A friend of mine says this guy well go #3 in 2005, He basically said all the things that Monster is saying. A huge defensman for his age and well likely add a inch and even some more muscle. Could be one of the best Russian born defensman ever. He also knows how to use his size, great positioning, very sound defensivly, a mean brute of a player, Imposing in front of his own net. Also seems to be a very smart, very crafty defensman with great poise, makes the smart play 9 out of 10 times, and is a solid skater with good agilit. Just like MOnster said this guy has a shot with great hands for a man his size, excelent vision, The Russian Rob Blake?

5. F ( 2005 ) Daniel Bertram: Amazing speed, excelent acceleration with a 2nd gear that only a handfull of players ever have. Speed that can't be gained in the weight room, just a natural, all around amazing offensive talent, very good hands, weaves threw trafic with great moves, I also hear that Daniel is quite the playmaker with great hands, very skilled. Scorers instincts to make a deadly goal scorer in the NHL.

6. D ( 2005) Jack Johnson: The only reason that he won't go top 5 next years draft, is because of the players he is competing with, I've been amazed with him, Now I've seen Crosby and Brule, but Anikeenko and Bertram are just going by ear, So mabey I should have Johnson higher but I hear he deserves the 6th spot.
    Much like Ryan Suter before him, here is a defensman with great skill, just a natural for the game, he does everything great. His defensive game is all you could ask for, a very smart player, excelent positioning, extremely smart and never gets caught out of position, great with his stick , nasty player, has a mean mean streak to him, plays above his size physically, AN EXCELENT, SMOOTH, EFFORTLESS SKATER, Great speed, amazing balance and strength on the puck, all around great skater. Jack has very good hands for a defensman, a very accurate shot, along with good vision,
    I played with him at a camp this summer, and he ran the PP in each of the scrimages and set up plays with authority....the opposition was scared of him when he had the puck. Just a all around great player.

7. F ( 2005) Guillame Latendresse: Towering forward, very big, has the body of a powerforward, and plays like one. Like Brule, he loves the rough stuff. Hits alot and hard, Goes right in front of the net or in the corners. A player that simply is a monster and even defensman that are very physically mature can't seem to handle him down low. Makes room for his teamates, Sets them up very well. Good hands, not in the same league as Brule, but he can dangle the puck at times. Great shooting selection. Has a strong snap and wrist shot. Used his back hand twice. Awesome vision, and great creativitiy with the puck. Passes are crisp and on the tape. Has a real prescense on the ice, when he's out there he makes things happens, and his line mates better. Strong two way player, thats very competive and helpfull in his own end. Very smart player. Won't burn you with his wheels, but he's a solid all around skater, with good agility, top speed is strong, but first step isn't quite there yet. Sorta reminded me of Todd Bertuzzi.

8. D ( 2005) Andrew Cogliano: ANother great 2005 eligible defensman. The book on him is a great offensive threat on the blue line. His upside is huge and alot of people really seem to like him. I havent seen him play but going by ear, sounds like the real deal as a powerplay quaterback with an amazing transition game and the ability to go end to end.

9. F ( 2005) Bobby Ryan: Breath taking skill, performs in the clutch, amazing ability to find the open puck near the net and put it in, can make plays all on his own, needs to work on his habits of overhandling the puck. Overall great skater, very good hands, Awesome shot, can score from anywhere on the ice. Uses his big frame well, goes to the net hard, works in the corners. ONe of the most powerful players his age. He can really drill a guy with a big big hit, but you wold like to see more of a nasty edge. Reminds me of Steve Bernier, because he has such a sick finesse game for a man his size, and is just learning how to use his body consistantly. Very powerfull, very skilled. Could be top 5 in 2005 with a great year.

10. G (2005) Tuuka Rask. A very very quick goaltender whose reflexes give Marek Schwarz a run for money. Amazing legs, Going down low on him is useless. Akward stance seems to show the shooter alot of net but quickly takes it away. Amazing ability to make saves he shouldn't. Very agressive, not the best at taking the angles, but never takes him self out of a save, doesn't beat him self, Plays best when his team needs him to, he'll steal games. Amazing lateral movement, elite leg strength and really gets around his crease quick. He also is not far behind from the NHL game in terms of game management.
    The top goaltender prospect in 2005, who has elite reflexes, elite quickness and lateral movement, almost unbeatable down low...top goaltender in his age group.

5. moosefan

moosefan Registered User

University Student
    only problem here is he is a forward. On the small side but one of the best pure snipers with awsome speed in the draft for next year. I really like him and think he will be a top 10 pick next year possibly around 6 to 8 range IMO.

All the hype with Rask as the best goalie, I still think Levasseur could be the
    number 1 ranked goalie by the end of next year. Though Rask is amazing and completly awsome, Levasseur IMO has better positioning while he is one of the quickest goalies I have seen in a long time with amazing flare and movement.

6. hockeyGod

hockeyGod Registered User

Home Page:
    sound like a reverse order of this years draft. Two cant miss Canadian forwards and a potential stud Russian.

7. moosefan

moosefan Registered User

University Student
    Anikeenko is as complete as they come, he could be the next Rob Blake as to me he plays the exact way Blake plays but Anikeenko has the ability to get to Blakes level of play as well.

8. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

Yeah it's interesting how that can happen from year to year. 2005's European crop looks to be loaded with top defensive prospects but a little lighter on the forwards than usual.

One guy who hasn't had his name mentioned yet, who I personally haven't seen (and expect that's probably the case for most people and hence a reason why he hasn't been mentioned), is Alexander Vasyunov who by the sounds of things is a definite contender for a top 5 spot in 2006.

9. Aigiokhos

Aigiokhos Registered User

Where is Malkin??? (he has only 17)

10. jepjepjoo

jepjepjoo Registered User

I think this is for undrafted players... Tukonen is under 18 too

11. monster_bertuzzi

Home Page:
    Oops, meant for 87' and 88' born. Malkin will be 18 shortly, same with Tukonen.

12. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:

I think a guy like Chris Durand is a bit ahead of Setoguchi and also a guy like Bobby Ryan right now, who was mentioned in a post above. Durand has size, skating and puck skills developing very nicely at a young age. Right now he could be penciled in the Top 10 for 2005. He will show his stuff at the U18 in August.

Another guy, Carey Price, with a good season in the WHL could be a high pick, a 1st rounder anyways, maybe not in the Top 10, but it's possible.

13. andora

andora Registered User

i don't understand where all this brule = physical play and grit is coming from. from the bunch i saw, his biggest accomplishment physically was either taking hits or starting and leaving scrums.

he's also very chippy with his stick if he gets pestered.. i definitely wouldn't use the words heart and grit and physical.. more chippy and easily agitated by hits

14. LaLaLaprise

LaLaLaprise lalalaprise -twitter

Price isnt even the top Goalie let alone top 10.

There are only so many players you can squeeze into a top 10. Price is a good prospect but not top 10 worthy.

15. W Jets fan

W Jets fan Registered User

Staal and Little should be in the top 10 U-18's :)

16. CH Wizard

CH Wizard Guest

Very good list !!! :handclap:

17. VOB

VOB Registered User

Home Page:
    I am not sold on Staal but you are right about Little, he should be in the top 10 U-18's

18. Kugel

Kugel Registered User

the 2005 draft looks great (i cant wait), there seems to be alot more canadians at the top unlike this year's draft. but from what i have heard/read is that 2006 will have european players and americans than canadians......is this true?

19. Estey

Estey Registered User

Engineer
    kugel who is that in your avatar?

20. Postman

Postman Registered User

Not sure about the Canadian and European crops, but at this point, 2006 for Americans looks stronger than their 2003 crop when they had a record eight US players drafted in the first round.

Phil Kessel is an early favorite for 1st overall and the best American prospect since Modano. Then you have Peter Mueller who, while not on Kessel's level, is still a bluechipper in his own right. Joseph Palmer is said to be the best American goalie prospect since DiPietro. Then you have other forwards like Nick Foligno, who like Kessel, is a late '87. Blake Geoffrion, grandson of HOFer Bernie Geoffrion is a pretty highly touted power forward prospect. Rhett Rakhshani and Jack Combs are both out of California Wave and should play in the CHL sometime. Carter Camper and Kyle Okposo are two more highly scouted American forwards. Plus defensemen like Steve Spade currently playing in the OHL, and Mark Mitera and Chad Morin, both USNTDP.

Overall, it looks like one of the best generations of American prospects in quite some time.

21. gretzky1545

gretzky1545 Registered User

a) kugel's avatar is keira knightley

b) i asked this on another similar thread and didnt get a response so ill try here. Can someone combine this past draft and next years draft if just a top 10 or something, so i can get an idea of how much stronger next years really is if just in top end talent

22. W Jets fan

W Jets fan Registered User

Not a bad list thegreatone, but Cogliano is a forward not a d-man. Quite a
    speedster if I do say so myself.

23. Newfie Bruin

Newfie Bruin Registered User

Home Page:
    There is also suppose to be a super prospect from Slovakia in the 2006 draft. Tomas Marcinko i believe. he was the best player on the Slovakian team and the second youngest (early 88). This guy Skokan was a late 88 meaning he is 2007 eligible

24. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    That was my list, well I was talking to a friend about young players, I never seen Cogliano in my life, and for one reason or another I thought he was a defensman ....my bad, not thegreatone's bad.

25. Lord

Lord Registered User

sport reporter
    Home Page:
    It seems for me that Anikeenko is much overreated on HFBoards. I think he is 1-st round material, but not top-5. That's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.