Give props to scouts here

Status
Not open for further replies.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
The thread about who's had the best drafting over the last couple of years gave me the idea for this thread.

When posters say new jersey, ottawa, etc., have had the best drafting, who are the men behind these decisions?

Use this thread to give props to the people who've made a name for themselves and the teams they've worked for by astute work at the drafting table.

Let everyone know their names and titles (e.g. amateur scout, asst. GM, director of player personnel, etc.).

Of particular interest are people who've worked for one organization, then switched to another, which could have had a pos/neg impact on their old/new teams.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Boris Shagas is responsible for most of the Russians that the Senators have drafted in the past. One of the Sens brass (forgot who) was saying after draft day 2005 that the Sens have "learned to listen to Boris" whenever he recommends a player to them.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Also, if any of you happen know any particular players who were drafted by the person you give props to, don't hesitate to mention them either.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Trevor Timmins and Serge Savard are responsible for Ottawa's and Montreals succes at drafting lately

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Here's an example of a former Senators' euro-scout who's since landed in St. Louis and might help with the Blues' rebuilding efforts.

"Prior to his tenure in St. Louis, (Jarmo) Kekalainen served in several capacities with the NHL’s Ottawa Senators over the course of seven seasons, including director of player personnel for three years. During this time he was responsible for overseeing the amateur draft and was instrumental in selecting such current star players as Marian Hossa, Martin Havlat and Andreas Dackell. Earlier he acted as the club’s European scout for four seasons."

http://www.stlouisblues.com/team/frontoffice/kekalainen.html

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Serge Savard is managing his hotel investments and has been out of NHL hockey since 1995.

I think you meant Andre Savard.I think it's clear he is a better scout than Timmins.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
V-2 Schneider said:
Serge Savard is managing his hotel investments and has been out of NHL hockey since 1995.

I think you meant Andre Savard.I think it's clear he is a better scout than Timmins.

Serge Savard owns the PEI Rocket with his brother.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
cant say I know who the scouts are for the teams, but I really like what Ottawa and Detroit have done, great work by the scouts there :handclap:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Marshall Johnston-worked for the Devils and Senators

Johnston joined the Colorado Rockies as Assistant General Manager and Assistant Coach on May 4, 1981, and served as Head Coach for the final 56 games of the 1981-82 season. After the franchise moved to New Jersey in 1982, he remained with the Devils as an Assistant Coach until November of 1983 and was later named Director of Player Personnel, a position he maintained for 10 years. During his time leading New Jersey's Scouting Department, the Devils drafted, among others, Martin Brodeur, Bull Guerin, Brendan Shanahan, Mike Dunham, Sean Burke, Scott Niedermayer, Brain Rolston, Kirk Muller and Kirk McLean

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/display_cont.asp?cont_id=114651

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Christer Rockstrom-Rangers director of player personnel-Europe.Joined the Rangers in the summer of 1989 with Neil Smith after being the Red Wings European scout.In Detroit,Rockstrom was responsible for Sergei Fedorov,Nicklas Lidstrom and Vladimir Konstantinov.With the Rangers,Sergei Zubov,Sergei Nemchinov,Alexei Kovalev,Mattias Norstrom,Niklas Sundstrom,Kim Johnsson,Tomas Kloucek,Henrik Lundqvist,Fedor Tyutin,Marek Zidlicky and Petr Prucha.When Smith and Rockstrom were in Detroit,they wanted to draft Nemchinov in 1989 in the 12th round but Jimmy Devallano told them no more Russians so Rangers took Rockstrom in the 12th round one year later

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
RangerBoy said:
Marshall Johnston-worked for the Devils and Senators

As Ottawa GM, he masterminded the Yashin for Spezza-Chara-Muckalt deal.

He knew of Chara's value because he'd been a scout with the Islanders.

Sad to see him go, he was a good guy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
x-bob said:
Trevor Timmins and Serge Savard are responsible for Ottawa's and Montreals succes at drafting lately
Those two (Andre Savard) helped Ottawa, but the mainstay of the Sens scouts has been Frank Jay. He's been with the organization for a while now.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I still don't understand how no NHL club has offered David Conte a GM position. That one still baffles me. What's the worst thing that could happen? He could fail, but so have countless other people with half the resume of this man.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I still don't understand how no NHL club has offered David Conte a GM position. That one still baffles me. What's the worst thing that could happen? He could fail, but so have countless other people with half the resume of this man.

Maybe he wants to remain a scout and has passed on oppurtunities. :dunno:

Lord

fisher said:
Boris Shagas is responsible for most of the Russians that the Senators have drafted in the past. One of the Sens brass (forgot who) was saying after draft day 2005 that the Sens have "learned to listen to Boris" whenever he recommends a player to them.
I know him personally. Boris is a great man and nice person to speak with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad