Give me a quick history lesson: Why was the 92-93 season so ridiculously high scoring

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
A combination of things.

-Schedule increased from 80 to 84 games.

- First year of the obstruction crackdown

-Biggest reason: Expansion fielded several very horrible teams to go along with the already horrible teams. It was running up scores to ridiculous amounts.

Secondary scoring was down, but primary scoring was way up

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
A combination of things.

-Schedule increased from 80 to 84 games.

- First year of the obstruction crackdown

-Biggest reason: Expansion fielded several very horrible teams to go along with the already horrible teams. It was running up scores to ridiculous amounts.

Secondary scoring was down, but primary scoring was way up

Ah. Thanks.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
hehe, don't feel too bad these posts about the '92-93 season come up once a month. It WAS a weird year and it had 21 100 point men, which is the highest single season total all time. We had 3 in '09.

Thornton_19 had some good points, and they are correct. I also feel that for whatever reason, injuries were at a low point that season. Outside of Gretzky only Neely was a star who was injured for most of the season. In '93-94 that changed when guys like Yzerman, Lemieux, Mogilny, Lafontaine and others were either injured or just became more passive (Turgeon).

Plus it was a season that was ripe with young talent or players right in their prime. Lemieux, Yzerman, Lafontaine, Mogilny, Selanne, Oates, Turgeon, Fleury, Stevens, Robitaille, Gilmour, Francis, Roenick, Bure, Recchi, Sakic etc. Look at the age of those guys. Only Gilmour and Francis turned 30 that year.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It wasn't that high-scoring. It was the highest-scoring season of the 90's but it was not as high-scoring as any season from the 80's. What happened was there was a ton of career years from a lot of top-end players. I think that it was from running the score up against the Sharks, Lightning, and of course the Sens. Looking at the scoring leaders makes it look like it was high-scoring but looking at the actual league goals per game, it wasn't that high. It's just a freak season that way.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Looking over the season again, I am tempted to question if the Lightning being placed in the Norris Division had any effect on their play. While it is nearly impossible to determine if this is true or not, but there must have been some fatigue for a Florida-based team playing the majority of its games against teams in the central part of North America, and to a lesser extent, western-based teams. Though I guess that doesn't really help explain the Sharks case at all, but it is an oddity worth considering.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Any Mario or Wayne season will have a high gpg, i guarantee if you take them out of the equation, the gpg ratio would go down bigtime.

Al Bundy*

'92-93 WAS a weird year and it had 21 100 point men, which is the highest single season total all time.

IMO, the most entertaining hockey season ever.

It was also, IMO, the last hurrah of the "high-scoring, high-octane hockey" era.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com

It was also, IMO, the last hurrah of the "high-scoring, high-octane hockey" era.

Nah. 1995-96 was. 12 players over 100 points, and 5 over 115 and 22 over 90 was more than many 80's years boasted.

The next year everyone basically said "Florida made the finals? How did they do it?" and the world turned defensive once again. Only 2 players had over 100 points, and only 9 had over 90 points.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Over a five-year span, here's what the average power plays per team looked like.

90-91 - 366 (4.575/game
91-92 - 402 (5.025/game)
92-93 - 443 (5.274/game)
93-94 - 407 (4.85/game)
94-95 - 209 (4.354/game)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

i agree 100%. this was my favorite season of hockey ever, even through the playoffs. a great season. i think a big part of it was an elite generation of top players hitting their peak at the same time. guys like robitaille and turgeon...lafontaine and mogilny...yzerman and federov hitting their stride..selanne. so much in their prime talent at the same time. as good as it is to have sid/geno/ao/kovy etc...we need 10 more dominant guys to really compare. i dont buy the other reasons to tell the truth, i just think it was a high point in talent based hockey - a good combo of wide open play with exceptional talent...and before the true embracing of trap hockey. i loved that year and the one year before and after as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad