Give Anthony Stewart A Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
This kid is great, he had one bad game, they make him feel like he shouldnt even be there, he is the toughest Canadian player, hes got all the tools, he can fight, pass and score great goals, hes the next up and coming power forward, you watch this kid will develope great., Sutters got to cut him some slack.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think most people would argue that with the kind of pressure on him, Sutter's got to win... and given the kind of talent he has to work with, he can afford to give ice time to those players who are producing in the here and now in lieu of those who are struggling. This is a short tournament, not a season-long pilgrimage. A coach in such a tourney doesn't have time to let players find their game.

Now that is not to say that it condemns Stewart as a player over the course of his looming pro career by any measure, but it may consign him to a lesser role in this tournament.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
agreed.

stewart's earned everything he's ever gotten from hockey.

for a teenager who had to take the bus all over the toronto area, with all his gear, in order to play, says alot about his dedication.

he's a great talent who has his own motivation to succeed.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
In Sutter's defense you can't exactly wait around for guys to perform in this tournament, you've got to play your best guys the most, and the under-achievers the least. No one is doubting his skill level, but when one player not performing that well can be be replaced by another equally skilled player, demotions will happen.

That being said, congratulations to Stewart who seems to have had his break out game against the Germans.

Dion Mustard*

Lets also remember Stewart isn't a soft hockey player. You don't baby those types of players in hopes they'll turn it around on their own. You light a fire under their ass, and dare them to prove you wrong. Sutter is handling Stewart the way he needs to be handled. Anthony can play better, and Sutter is making sure Stewart knows he is expecting more.

One more thing, assistant coach Jim Hulton is Stewart's coach in Kingston. The coaching staff knows what they are doing.

Mountain Dude

He definetly had a bad start, but hopefully that whole line can now get clicking by the end of this Finland game.

He's such a great story for hockey, I don't think anyone was mad at him or anything, everyone knows he's capable of doing a lot.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Really to me he looks like he'll be a clone of Iginla. Both are right wingers, 6'1" both shoot right are as strong as bull and they score goals the same way. Down the right wing. Slap shot. Its been a while other than Iginla that we've seen a guy who can score off the right wing like that while he's going down the wing, no one since Lafleur or Bossy could do it until Iginla. But in a few years he may have some company.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Sutter's been a bit...

of an ignorant a** doing his line changes the way he has been especially with A.Stewart(this coming from a Panther fan) but... they are winning so you can't complain TOO much about the absurd line changes throughout the games and they have had a FEW injuries to deal with.

I;m from Calgary though so I have to put up with it and say it's the "Sutter way".I saw Darryl Sutter before a playoff game ,nodded to him in empty hallway near the lockeroom and he just put his tongue in cheek look to me.That's just how they are .It's a Sutter phase in hockey right now,everyone will have to put up with the success until it dies off.Everything and everyone dies off eventually in professional sports :teach:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Big Phil said:
Really to me he looks like he'll be a clone of Iginla. Both are right wingers, 6'1" both shoot right are as strong as bull and they score goals the same way. Down the right wing. Slap shot. Its been a while other than Iginla that we've seen a guy who can score off the right wing like that while he's going down the wing, no one since Lafleur or Bossy could do it until Iginla. But in a few years he may have some company.

I agree, I would say Stewart isn't quite as good a pure scorer, but is stronger, a better fighter, and although a bit slower, his skating stride is very powerful for a big man. He could be one of the best power forwards of the decade if he reaches his full potential.

Shappa

Oct 11, 2002
It's obvious that Sutter has an in for him, and in a tournament as short as this one, I don't think that Stewart has a chance to get out of the doghouse.

He was a bigger factor last year, but this years team is much better. I like him as a player, and he will be a long term NHL'er in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->