Recalled/Assigned: Givani Smith recalled

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Or - what it might gain for you.

Prospect will get development at lower level and isn't getting any scoring/experience based on NHL games for next RFA negotiations and conracts will be cheaper at time of contending.

That's what Stevie did at Tampa. He did put all kids except Hedman and Stammer to Syracuse and kept them there for 2,5 seasons, before calling kids up. Only time they were up, was just short stints as injury help.

Not much difference what is now happening at Detroit.

It's the Yzerplan. Opportunity taken away from kids = salary cap management.

You think they're keeping 23-year-old Svech in Grand Rapids because they have high hopes for him?
While 20-year-old Zadina and 21-year-old Smith play in Detroit?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Age at which players joined Tampa for a FULL SEASON or close to it during the Yzerman years.
Connolly - Age 19. Zero AHL games.
Palat - Ages 22. 2 AHL seasons.
Johnson - Age 23. 2 AHL seasons.
Gudas - Age 23. 3 AHL seasons.
Kucherov - Age 20. 1/4 AHL season.
Drouin - Age 20. O AHL seasons.
Paquette - Age 21. 1 AHL season.
Namestnikov - Age 21-2. 2 AHL seasons.
Point - Age 20. O AHL seasons.
Sergachev - Age 19. O AHL seasons.
Cirelli - Age 21. 1 1/2 AHL seasons.

And
Vasilvesky. 37 AHL games.

Killorn- Age 23. 1 AHL season.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Excited to see smith, but svech must have slept with someone’s wife.

Maybe he went to the Brendan Shanahan School of Hockey and Sportsmanship? ;)
Hopefully no Leafs mods are lurking the boards, I'd hate to lose my ability to post too.

-8:34 for one of Vladies best hits and Bob Cole's best calls: "Ohhhh Konstantinov! Biggest hit of the series."

-9:09 for Shanahan really giving it to Janney... 'Craig' Janney to be specific.

Because the past is about all we have right now.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
My favorite part of that video is seeing all the guys you don’t expect to be hitting buy in. Loved it when Stevie hammered that Canuck! Man I miss that playoff intensity. Guys like Larkin and Bert would be right at home grinding it out. I could see Mantha being that kind of guy who gets hot and carries a team through a run (i.e 08 Franzen)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I doubt he'd be in the AHL without Erne/Perlini.
It's almost impossible.

Next year is when we lose him to waivers.

No idea why you think its "impossible", but to each their own.

Either way, I strongly disagree. If those two were not here my guess is that Smith (prior to the other day) and maybe Hirose are up instead of Erne/Perlini. Like I said, i think Yzerman has a plan for Svech, and hes moving forward according to that plan. Its as clear as day you disagree with his plan, and thats ok, but not everything the GM does is going to be what you or I or whomever would do.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No idea why you think its "impossible", but to each their own.

Either way, I strongly disagree. If those two were not here my guess is that Smith (prior to the other day) and maybe Hirose are up instead of Erne/Perlini. Like I said, i think Yzerman has a plan for Svech, and hes moving forward according to that plan. Its as clear as day you disagree with his plan, and thats ok, but not everything the GM does is going to be what you or I or whomever would do.

Really.
So who do you think would be playing right now?

It's nice to think there's a plan for Svech.
People have been suggesting this with zero evidence but blind faith in the "yzerplan."

The facts have a habit of getting in the way.
This season Erne, Perlini, Hirose, Fabbri, Smith and Zadina - SIX WINGERS - the age of Svech or younger - have played more than Svechnikov.

If I believed there was a plan, and had some idea what it was, I think I'd be pretty agreeable to what's taking place.

But I see no reason to believe there's anything but a "Svech - you gotta figure out a way to win a job by October" plan.

I'm fine with this kind of plan for a Turgeon or Hicketts or whoever.

But I think Svech has enough size and skill that we should have a better plan.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Really.

People have been suggesting this with zero evidence but blind faith in the "yzerplan."

This season Erne, Perlini, Hirose, Fabbri, Smith and Zadina - SIX WINGERS - the age of Svech or younger - have played more than Svechnikov.

If I believed there was a plan, and had some idea what it was, I think I'd be pretty agreeable to what's taking place.

But I see no reason to believe there's anything but a "Svech - you gotta figure out a way to win a job by October" plan.

It shouldn't be lost that Svech commented in the pre-season that he felt like his knee was still hurting whilst still finding his professional game legs. So too speak.

I wouldn't be surprised if that had contributed too management taking the decision too only bring him up during the worst of an injury crisis. Zadina and Smith's play has also meant that they have earned their spots. As long as the intention is too have Svech up next year from the get go, knee and performances permitting, then I don't have a problem with him spending this year in GR.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Really.

When you read me say that Yzerman has a "plan" are you interpreting that as me saying that what's happening with Svech is all a part of some master grand "Yzerplan that I am blindly believing? Because I'm not.

I think Yzerman specifically has a plan for Svech. That plan IMO is that he wants him playing in the AHL. The part I bolded pretty much backs up what I am saying as all signs have shown that Yzerman does not want to call up Svech right now. I get it, you don't agree with that plan, you have been very vocal about this for months now, howeverv not agreeing with a plan does not mean there isnt one.

Do you think Yzerman doesnt give a crap about Svech? He's given up on him? I feel like this is what you're trying to prove. If yes, why not just trade him? Contact Carolina and swap him for a prospect or a pick.

As for the bold/italics, please stop with condescending remarks. Ill debate with you, but if you're going down that road I'm just going to ignore you.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
When you read me say that Yzerman has a "plan" are you interpreting that as me saying that what's happening with Svech is all a part of some master grand "Yzerplan that I am blindly believing? Because I'm not.

I think Yzerman specifically has a plan for Svech. That plan IMO is that he wants him playing in the AHL. The part I bolded pretty much backs up what I am saying as all signs have shown that Yzerman does not want to call up Svech right now. I get it, you don't agree with that plan, you have been very vocal about this for months now, howeverv not agreeing with a plan does not mean there isnt one.

Do you think Yzerman doesnt give a crap about Svech? He's given up on him? I feel like this is what you're trying to prove. If yes, why not just trade him? Contact Carolina and swap him for a prospect or a pick.

As for the bold/italics, please stop with condescending remarks. Ill debate with you, but if you're going down that road I'm just going to ignore you.

I do feel like there's a very good chance the organization has given up on Svechnikov.

Svech was already in a challenging spot, coming off an injury after a weak sophomore season and facing waivers at the start of next season. And really, not many winger jobs open.
And THEN Yzerman traded for Erne, Perlini and Fabbri. Three wingers in the same age group.

He led the team in scoring (tied with Hirose, but fewer games/minutes) and got better every game but was sent to Grand Rapids.

He was called up and sat in the pressbox. In a smattering of games he did play, he managed zero points put a ton of shots on goal (easily has the team's highest shots/60).

Despite this, Blashill chose to play Givani Smith over Svech on the 2nd PP unit.
And Svech was sent down before Smith
And now Smith has been called up again while Svech rots in Grand Rapids.

So I'm really not sold this team has any real plan or hope for Svechnikov.

Why not trade him? Well, I hoped we might be able to trade him to Carolina for D or Edmonton for Pulju.
But Svech's production in GR continues to slide. My guess is that there isn't a lot of trade value.

Reactions: Realgud

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I do feel like there's a very good chance the organization has given up on Svechnikov.

Svech was already in a challenging spot, coming off an injury after a weak sophomore season and facing waivers at the start of next season. And really, not many winger jobs open.
And THEN Yzerman traded for Erne, Perlini and Fabbri. Three wingers in the same age group.

He led the team in scoring (tied with Hirose, but fewer games/minutes) and got better every game but was sent to Grand Rapids.

He was called up and sat in the pressbox. In a smattering of games he did play, he managed zero points put a ton of shots on goal (easily has the team's highest shots/60).

Despite this, Blashill chose to play Givani Smith over Svech on the 2nd PP unit.
And Svech was sent down before Smith
And now Smith has been called up again while Svech rots in Grand Rapids.

So I'm really not sold this team has any real plan or hope for Svechnikov.

Why not trade him? Well, I hoped we might be able to trade him to Carolina for D or Edmonton for Pulju.
But Svech's production in GR continues to slide. My guess is that there isn't a lot of trade value.

Well we'll all see eventually. If he gets waived or traded for peanuts you are right.
If he is given top minutes post TDL or out of camp next season, I am right.

Reactions: MBH

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Svech is a draft pick from 2015, how is this on Yzerman? He hasn't shown anything in the AHL really I would expect better numbers from a 23 year old 19th over all. Can anyone blame a GM for not prioiritzing a 23 year old putting up .4 ppg in the AHL?

IMO at this point I feel its pretty safe to write him off. Whether or not he can fill in a bottom 6 role is not an immediate concern. If he can fetch a draft pick I am all for it. Seems like a career AHL'r bottom 6 NHL'r to me.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Givani ain't exactly tearing it up in GR either.
4-9-13 -5 32 shots.

I don't think Givani was suppose to tear up the ahl or score 50+ points. Although managing to put up 13 points in 22gp while being in the penalty box for 59 minutes is half decent.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well we'll all see eventually. If he gets waived or traded for peanuts you are right.
If he is given top minutes post TDL or out of camp next season, I am right.

We shall see. As you can see from the thread, some fans have already moved on from Svech.
Personally, the only thing holding him back is skating. A massive knee injury didn't help a guy who already struggled with skating.

Reactions: kliq

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I've got no problem with Smith being called up.

I like Smith a lot. I don’t think his game is one that requires much AHL development time. He reminds me of burtuzzi with +2 grit -2 scoring. I think he’d fit nicely on a second line with two skilled forwards. The “piano mover” if you will. He has some offensive potential. I’ve seen him make some moves where I think “ohh, that was unexpected.”

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
We shall see. As you can see from the thread, some fans have already moved on from Svech.
Personally, the only thing holding him back is skating. A massive knee injury didn't help a guy who already struggled with skating.

Like you Redder I like Svech a lot, but I think you are starting to answer some of your own questions. First off he has not looked good in GR in well over a month. You really need to take the time to watch him down there. He spends a lot of time trailing and chasing the play and does not seem to have any motor whatsoever at this point ( I don't know if this is a fitness issue or what). I am not one of those fools who thinks you need to dominate in the AHL to earn a call up, but you need to show much better than Svech has as of late. Draft position, waiver statue and quality of the NHL club does not change this.

For a player with skating issues a big knee injury is disasterous. It was a big, big ask to expect him to establish himself as a full-time NHLer in the first half of the season coming off of that injury with his existing skating deficiencies. If you don't see much of him in Detroit during the back half of the season I think you can safely conclude that the brass does not see much of an NHL future in him. You cannot, however, reasonably reach that conclusion today given the obstacles he was already facing coming into the season.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Who are the fools that say you have to dominate the AHL to earn a call up? I don't see how that is relevant to a player that is clearly not up to task and far under-performing expectations. If Svech picks up his game then let's talk, otherwise he is a dime a dozen AHL'r and bust of a pick.

Being underdeveloped in the skating department is a huge deal that is pretty much what derailed Bret Connolly from living up to 6th overall although he found a way and eventually I would say 2018-19 when he was around 26 was the first time he started scoring top 6 numbers on the very low end.

The only trobule I have with the callup is the wings have nothing to lose by playing Svech in the NHL and seeing what he is truly made of against NHL players. That is the only reason I would like to see him there is I really don't understand the why nots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad