Recalled/Assigned: Givani Smith recalled

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm honestly disappointed Yzerman wasted assets for a slug like Erne when we have Turgeon, Smith and Svech all in GR that would be better than him.

Such a waste of a draft pick.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Givani ain't exactly tearing it up in GR either.
4-9-13 -5 32 shots.

I wonder if Turgeon has earned a callup as a rare plus player on that squad.

Difference is that Givani plays a game that can work in the lower lines, and is scrappy, although I don't see a regular NHL player in him! I think Svech should get a chance, but he hasn't played well, which was important for him this year.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It feels like every "recall" thread gets turned into a conversation about Svechnikov. My guess is this, Yzerman has a plan due to the injury last year, and he's not going to alter what he has planned due to injuries to others. Maybe its to call him up post TDL, maybe its to leave him in GR the entire season. I dont know.

As for Smith, I like having him up. By no means a game changer, but I'd rather see him on the ice then some of our 4th liners. Unlike Svech, I dont mind seeing Smith get 6min a game on the 4th line or sitting in the press box. I dont want to see Svech in either of those situations. With Svech, I want him in the top 9 playing with good players, or in GR. No thank you to a Abby-Ehn-Svech line or whatever situation Smith will likely be in.

*edit* just seeing that Smith is playing top 6 tonight. Interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: LazyT

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm honestly disappointed Yzerman wasted assets for a slug like Erne when we have Turgeon, Smith and Svech all in GR that would be better than him.

Such a waste of a draft pick.

It was a 4th rounder, chances are still in our favor that we win that trade.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Word of advice for him. Be tough, stand up for your team and team-mates. Fight a few times and win, you might make a 1-5 year career at this! Make safe passes, hang around the net... Who know what'll happen even on a 4th line.

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Word of advice for him. Be tough, stand up for your team and team-mates. Fight a few times and win, you might make a 1-5 year career at this! Make safe passes, hang around the net... Who know what'll happen even on a 4th line.
I like the way he plays. One of few guys who actually forechecks and puts pressure on the opposition D. Sometimes he'll get a cycle going which is rare with this team.

I don't expect an offensive output, but he helps set the pace and intensity at least for his line.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Givani ain't exactly tearing it up in GR either.
4-9-13 -5 32 shots.

I wonder if Turgeon has earned a callup as a rare plus player on that squad.
Givani has at least matched his point total from last season in about 1/3rd the games. It's a pretty good step forward and the production so far is solid for someone that has other tools that make him useful aside from scoring.

Svech had a nice start but seems to have dropped off a cliff. I don't know what happened to the guy that had 51 points 74 games as an AHL rookie. For now it makes complete sense that he is not getting call-ups.
Still hope he can make something of himself but time is running out for him in this organization.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Givani has at least matched his point total from last season in about 1/3rd the games. It's a pretty good step forward and the production so far is solid for someone that has other tools that make him useful aside from scoring.

Svech had a nice start but seems to have dropped off a cliff. I don't know what happened to the guy that had 51 points 74 games as an AHL rookie. For now it makes complete sense that he is not getting call-ups.
Still hope he can make something of himself but time is running out for him in this organization.

Injuries and missing a year of development. This season, he's on roughly the same pace as the last season he played in GR. If he finishes the season strong, I'd consider it a success.

I think the frustration with how the Wings have kept Svech in GR is that he did come up for a few games and he did look better than guys we are still running out there on a pretty consistent basis.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

What I've been saying since the start of the season, when he got better every exhibition game and led the team in scoring, is that sending him back to GR was a recipe for disaster.
He's already regressed in GR. Why send him back?

At some point, if you have any hope for the guy, you just give him a f***ing shot. 20-30 games to show you something.

This was the year to do it. Because we all knew Zadina and probably Rasmussen were coming up behind him.

Instead, we buried him behind Hirose, Perlini, Erne and Fabbri. And now Zadina.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like the way he plays. One of few guys who actually forechecks and puts pressure on the opposition D. Sometimes he'll get a cycle going which is rare with this team.

I don't expect an offensive output, but he helps set the pace and intensity at least for his line.

If you have a line that gets the puck to the net, Smith will get you some goals.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It was a 4th rounder, chances are still in our favor that we win that trade.

Or lose it, because it also helped us lose Svech on waivers.
When you bring in a guy like Erne/Perlini, it's not just about what you spend, it's about the opportunity you're taking away from other guys - and what that might cost you.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
When you bring in a guy like Erne/Perlini, it's not just about what you spend, it's about the opportunity you're taking away from other guys - and what that might cost you.

Not everything has to do with Svech. We dont make those trades, I still think he's in the AHL.
What do you mean we lost Svech on waivers?

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Or - what it might gain for you.

Prospect will get development at lower level and isn't getting any scoring/experience based on NHL games for next RFA negotiations and conracts will be cheaper at time of contending.

That's what Stevie did at Tampa. He did put all kids except Hedman and Stammer to Syracuse and kept them there for 2,5 seasons, before calling kids up. Only time they were up, was just short stints as injury help.

Not much difference what is now happening at Detroit.

It's the Yzerplan. Opportunity taken away from kids = salary cap management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->