News Article: Girardi suffers setback? (Mod warning: NO celebrating injury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
G's game went down because he was a warrior for so many years. Blocking all those pucks leaves a history on your body. We all knew this will happen. There's no reason to celebrate it like he's the enemy: he's more of an injured soldier who may be a drag on the unit right now, but you take care of him so that the next soldier will know he'll get taken care of. G will get every chance possible until he really can't go, even if some rookie who paid no dues will do a little better in limited, sheltered minutes.

Girardi "really couldn't go" since 2015 but he's still ****ing here

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Girardi has been a warrior for this team for many years, playing through all manner of injuries and literally sacrificing his body for the team. That everyone is reveling in his physical misfortune is kind of gross. You can say, "we're a better team without him" without sounding gleeful about his injury.

Seriously revolting.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
G's game went down because he was a warrior for so many years. Blocking all those pucks leaves a history on your body. We all knew this will happen. There's no reason to celebrate it like he's the enemy: he's more of an injured soldier who may be a drag on the unit right now, but you take care of him so that the next soldier will know he'll get taken care of. G will get every chance possible until he really can't go, even if some rookie who paid no dues will do a little better in limited, sheltered minutes.

And I think most of us would be ok with this with one gigantic exception....dg should be playing less minutes against worse opposition...the limited sheltered minuets for a replacement level player...instead he's being matched up against John tavares and Vladimir tarasenko. Most of us don't hate dg....most of us hate the coach for the way hes used if at all, and the gm who gave him that abhorrent contract.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Hip flexors are a *****. You think everything is fine, then you make one wrong movement and it's back to square one...going through that now.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
And I think most of us would be ok with this with one gigantic exception....dg should be playing less minutes against worse opposition...the limited sheltered minuets for a replacement level player...instead he's being matched up against John tavares and Vladimir tarasenko. Most of us don't hate dg....most of us hate the coach for the way hes used if at all, and the gm who gave him that abhorrent contract.

1. Celebrating a guy's pain *is* hating the guy. We are not talking about some ISIS terrorist whom you hate and could legitimately be happy he got injured. This is a guy who did nothing but honestly earn his money by working as hard as he could. He never took a shift off, he played injured, he never complained, he took the most difficult assignments against Ovechkin, Cindy, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane/Toews, and every other top player, and quietly did his job. He fought to protect a teammate until several of his facial bones were broken. Yes, he got paid for his job, but he never took his money and ran. He took his money and did the most he possibly could to earn his paycheck. At 32, playing a shot-blocking game, you will start to deteriorate. This is not out of laziness, stupidity or poor attitude. There's no reason to be happy he's in pain, none.

2. What are the options here? McIlrath can't go up against top opposition because he can't defend one-on-one against Cindy, Ovy, Tarasenko, Tavares, etc. He can barely defend 1-on-1 against a guy like Brock Nelson, and will fail at it a bunch of times. Klein can do it and a line of McDonagh-Klein would be effective, but that would mean Staal-Girardi/McIlrath as the second pair and I doubt that would be a good idea against a second line, many of which have really good players like Malkin and Backstrom (Oshie replaced Back on the first line for DC to spread the wealth).

Staal-Girardi would be an excellent third pair and McDonagh-Klein a solid first pair. But then who's the second pair? Holden-McIlrath? Holden-Skjei? The only option is to have one solid player on each of the first two pairs along with a vet in Staal or Girardi, hoping their brains can overcome their body limitations.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Haven't read the article but the whole situation with Girardi is quite sad, tbh.

Fact of the matter is... as long as he continues to play the way he did last year we are a better team without him in the line up. I want to see him off this team and out of our line up but not this way. I want the guy that has given his heart, soul and body to this organization to be able to end his career with some dignity and honor and two seasons of miserable play and potentially spending the rest of his career on and off the injury list isn't the way for him to go out. The best thing for Girardi would be for him to get healthy (if he can) and play limited minutes on the third pairing, get a buy out in the off season and take a role within the Rangers organization. I can't imagine a better person to have in our organization than Dan Girardi, on the ice or off it.

Frankly, I am kind of troubled that so many GOOD people here that I have known for such a long time are taking such a disgusting stance regarding someones career and health.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Literally nobody is "celebrating" Girardi is hurt. Nobody wants another player to be hurt. You're all making **** up.

People are however, happy at the prospect of the line-up being considerably better without Girardi in it.

You would get the exact same reaction, maybe even more gleeful, if Girardi was healthy scratched.

The fact of the matter is a lot of us underestimated this team over the summer and were truly convinced there was no better alternative than to just blow it up. A select few called BS and believed it was a few major problems really hurting an otherwise good team. Girardi is very much a major problem. This is a much, much better team without him and the frustration of forcing him into minutes he hasn't been able to handle for years so you can "pay a vet what you owe him" is the height of idiocy and creating warranted frustration. People want the Rangers to win. Girardi will not contribute positively to them. Boo ****ing hoo. Hockey is a results driven business and Girardi isn't helping us in any regard. Unless the result is Lilejgren.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Literally nobody is "celebrating" Girardi is hurt. Nobody wants another player to be hurt. You're all making **** up.

People are however, happy at the prospect of the line-up being considerably better without Girardi in it.

You would get the exact same reaction, maybe even more gleeful, if Girardi was healthy scratched.

The fact of the matter is a lot of us underestimated this team over the summer and were truly convinced there was no better alternative than to just blow it up. A select few called BS and believed it was a few major problems really hurting an otherwise good team. Girardi is very much a major problem. This is a much, much better team without him and the frustration of forcing him into minutes he hasn't been able to handle for years so you can "pay a vet what you owe him" is the height of idiocy and creating warranted frustration. People want the Rangers to win. Girardi will not contribute positively to them. Boo ****ing hoo. Hockey is a results driven business and Girardi isn't helping us in any regard. Unless the result is Lilejgren.

You literally missed some posts that were deleted.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You literally missed some posts that were deleted.

Well, okay then.

I still wanted to address this either way.

I'm pretty much the biggest "Girardi hater" on this board but wishing injury on a player or calling a rather accomplished player a "loser" is really stupid.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I think G should be bought out last summer window. We know that G can play through injuries, but I don`t know why AV rush him back - when he was in pain in the last training session, so unnecessary.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I had a groin injury last week. You people are monsters for wishing that kind of discomfort on someone.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Great job by Brooks. Has Girardi making his NHL debut at age 15 and reports a setback only to see him play the next day.

It's not his fault people read the article and didn't understand it... or didn't read the article.

That’s hurt, in past sense. For After skating for the second consecutive day, the defenseman said that he felt, “Pretty goodâ€

“I’ll see how I feel later and [Sunday] and evaluate it from there,†he said. “Day by day.â€

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Girardi has been a warrior for this team for many years, playing through all manner of injuries and literally sacrificing his body for the team. That everyone is reveling in his physical misfortune is kind of gross. You can say, "we're a better team without him" without sounding gleeful about his injury.

If he wants to be a warrior for this team he'll waive his NTC.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm sorry, I don't wish injury on anyone, but the 'Girardi's a warrior' meme is tiresome. He's never been more than a solid 2nd pairing Dman and the Rangers have long suffered for him being put in a role he's never been suited to play. And now, given the superb forward group this team has, you'd think those in charge would recognize what they need on the back end to support those forwards. Instead, we have relics from another era expected to provide the proper transition to offense. And, the Holden trade now has me officially ticked off. Not happy about any of this.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Like I said, terrible article. It was clear from the phrasing and the organization of the article he's just trying to rehash something that happened a few days ago into news. The set back was a few days ago when he felt some pain during the skate and since then, he's skated multiple times with no issue.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Haven't read the article but the whole situation with Girardi is quite sad, tbh.

Fact of the matter is... as long as he continues to play the way he did last year we are a better team without him in the line up. I want to see him off this team and out of our line up but not this way. I want the guy that has given his heart, soul and body to this organization to be able to end his career with some dignity and honor and two seasons of miserable play and potentially spending the rest of his career on and off the injury list isn't the way for him to go out. The best thing for Girardi would be for him to get healthy (if he can) and play limited minutes on the third pairing, get a buy out in the off season and take a role within the Rangers organization. I can't imagine a better person to have in our organization than Dan Girardi, on the ice or off it.

Frankly, I am kind of troubled that so many GOOD people here that I have known for such a long time are taking such a disgusting stance regarding someones career and health.

I'm not happy that he's injured. But as long as this guy is an anchor and won't waive his NTC or NMC or whatever he has, my sympathy for "how he will go out" will be limited. That doesn't mean that I want him to be injured or something.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Hear, hear. Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->