Giordano's knee on knee (?) on Koivu (upd: suspended 2 games)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So you actually don't know what a knee is. Here's the actual rule from the NHL rulebook:

So you basically just said "no it's not a knee because it fits the exact definition of a knee in the NHL rulebook but I both don't know the rules and didn't bother to look them up before insisting I knew what I was talking about."
I wasn't going to wade back into this thread, but I can't resist a semantics discussion. You posted the rule here, but I'm not sure you yourself read it. The first and salient part of the description is "leading with his knee." You were quoting someone that said it wasn't kneeing because he didn't lead with his knee, but with his foot. His leg was straight. You apparently thought that the rule doesn't support that, but it's right there as plain as day.

You bolded the clause that comes after that part of the rule, but the conjunction between them is "and," not "or." So kneeing is when a player leads with his knee. Sometimes, that means out to the side, sometimes it means straight in front of the player. But always leading with the knee.

Looking up the rules and posting them is great, and helps the discussion. But do make the effort to read every word before jumping to conclusions.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't want to say that's karma Koivu, but you're the captain of a team that thinks the game of hockey is played by slashing players in the wrist 47 times a shift.

Also, fairly certain Gio wasn't apologizing after the hit, when Koivu came to the box (Gio was sitting in it already) and was yelling at him, Gio asked if he wanted to fight after he got out.

It was a deserved trip, nothing more.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I don't know if he is suspended or not , doubt it.Maybe a fine.

Just pointed out for you what the definition of kneeing was and what penalties it can carry seeing you didn't know what they were. Also even if it was called tripping on the ice doesn't mean it wasn't knee on knee like you can see from the picture that has been linked a few times here.
I haven’t been wrong about a knee on knee before, so I certainly like my odds. Thanks for your concern though.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's hard to tell from a gif that's half a rink away but it looks more like a trip and an awkward play by Giordano.

Also the league historically doesn't typically hand out supplemental discipline for kneeing so I'd be surprised if anything happens here.

A sincere thanks to the OP for actually having a reasonable thread title and not calling it a vicious knee and asking how many games suspension. It's a rarity here these days.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I haven’t been wrong about a knee on knee before, so I certainly like my odds. Thanks for your concern though.

Hmm , strange response? I just pointed out your gaps in logic and helped you with understanding the rules and this is the thanks I get. Sadface.

Reactions: Janks

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Giordano is very smart, he's taking advantage of the current rules on knee to knee hits. Skirting around avoiding being suspended while going around with possible intent to injure other players given his history on knee hits.

They need to make the intentional knee on knee hits an auto suspension, knee injuries can be serious.

Taking advantage of the new rules ? Like every 3 years, yes what intelligence. I like how you imply intent, if you truly think this way, you see reality through a very warped filter.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Desperation defensive plays like that are why Giordano frequently gets beat wide by McDavid. I'm just worried the he's going to catch him with that patented knee one game.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I haven't ever sold a stock for a loss either - must make me a market genius. Solid line of thinking there instead of actually reading and comprehending what Anglesmith posted.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I love how Flames fans are now giving up trying to defend Gio and turning the thread into playing the victim card for Gaudreau being injured on a slash 2 years ago.

You should visit the Dumba thread. Very dirty player delivering a hit that didn't even draw a penalty. Also "the keeing pylon" is "the front runner for Norris".

HFboards never fail.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You should visit the Dumba thread. Very dirty player delivering a hit that didn't even draw a penalty. Also "the keeing pylon" is "the front runner for Norris".

HFboards never fail.

I'm sorry the Wild suck ass and have the excitement to be a first round loss every year. That's what happens when you employ diabetic Bruce.

I'm sure you didn't give one shit when Gaudreau's hands were slashed to oblivion.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary

HFboards never fail.

How is he not a front runner? Go look in the polls section... Literally every fan base is saying he is and has 50% of the vote. Not only is he an offensive beast this year, he is also an analytics stud defensively.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Weird knee on knee when it looks like it's coming from the side with a straight leg.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Totally tried to get a piece of him, not sure he was targeting a specific part. He left it out there too long to not be an accident or unintentional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad