Giordano's knee on knee (?) on Koivu (upd: suspended 2 games)

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
That hit is barely knee to knee.. Tripping call is sufficient and lol to the people who say suspend him. If this is suspension worthy Dumba would be going with him.

Last edited:

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
This isn’t even a knee. Giordano straightens his leg upon contact. How can it be a knee on knee if there was no knee. It was high shin contact. Giordano plays the game hard and his initial reaction when beaten wide is to trip his opponent. There’s no intent to injure.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
This isn’t even a knee. Giordano straightens his leg upon contact. How can it be a knee on knee if there was no knee. It was high shin contact. Giordano plays the game hard and his initial reaction when beaten wide is to trip his opponent. There’s no intent to injure.

There is a picture few posts up that shows it literally knee on knee?

Generally almost every knee on knee hit is reactional when a player is beaten wide and not done with the intent of trying to injure a player but I don't think that excuses a player from getting disciplined.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
There is a picture few posts up that shows it literally knee on knee?

Generally almost every knee on knee hit is reactional when a player is beaten wide and not done with the intent of trying to injure a player but I don't think that excuses a player from getting disciplined.
Giordano legitimately straightens his leg upon contact. It doesn’t even meet the criteria of being called a knee.

Here’s an actual knee on knee hit by a known dirty player. Cooke sticks his knee out to his left to specifically hit Barrie’s knee inflicting a serious injury upon contact. Whereas Koivu actually got up, skated towards the penalty box and to the bench on his own power.

849456027.gif

I’ll admit it was a reckless trip by a very competitive player. But his suspension history would indicate there’s no intent to injure which is what knee on knee hits are based on.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Never change HF.
Not sure what this is supposed to mean. But this wasn’t even the dirtiest play in the period. Dumba legitimately left his feet to hit Backlund with head contact. Apparently he’ll be out for a while with a concussion as per John Shannon’s tweet.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Not sure what this is supposed to mean. But this wasn’t even the dirtiest play in the period. Dumba legitimately left his feet to hit Backlund with head contact. Apparently he’ll be out for a while with a concussion as per John Shannon’s tweet.
You are comical. There are literally pictures of Gio's knee contacting Koivu's knee but it's not a knee to you because he straightens his leg after contact, which isn't any part of any knee rule BTW so WTF are you even talking about, so that makes it not a knee. There's a picture of Dumba contacting Backlund with both of his skates still clearly on the ice but because he left his skates after contact then it's a dirty hit, which also isn't a rule.

The worst part is, I don't think this was a terribly dirty play, just a careless and unfortunate one. But calling Dumba's hit while he's still clearly on the ice before contact as "he left his feet" and simultaneously saying Gio sticking out his leg causing knee on knee contact clean because of some rule you are making up is just gross.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
You are comical. There are literally pictures of Gio's knee contacting Koivu's knee but it's not a knee to you because he straightens his leg after contact, which isn't any part of any knee rule BTW so WTF are you even talking about, so that makes it not a knee. There's a picture of Dumba contacting Backlund with both of his skates still clearly on the ice but because he left his skates after contact then it's a dirty hit, which also isn't a rule.

The worst part is, I don't think this was a terribly dirty play, just a careless and unfortunate one. But calling Dumba's hit while he's still clearly on the ice before contact as "he left his feet" and simultaneously saying Gio sticking out his leg causing knee on knee contact clean because of some rule you are making up is just gross.
No dude, he has his knee bent and then staightens it out to make the trip. The gif displays that very clearly. It’s the opposite of a knee which is to typically stick the knee out to make contact with the knee. If that was a true knee on knee, Koivu would be on the ice thriving in pain.

As for Dumba, I wouldn’t say he intended to injure Backlund. But he definitely had his skates in the air and made head contact. The gif you’re speaking about doesn’t even show that contact was made yet.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So how many times does the same exact thing have to happen before it stops being an unfortunate accident and is just a thing you do?
Every time Gaudreau plays Minnesota and his hands end up beat to rat shit, I bet that exact thought run through his head.

Gaudreau's new gloves. Required for Minnesota games only.

63077.jpg

Last edited:

Goose312

May 15, 2015
No dude, he has his knee bent and then staightens it out to make the trip. The gif displays that very clearly. It’s the opposite of a knee which is to typically stick the knee out to make contact with the knee. If that was a true knee on knee, Koivu would be on the ice thriving in pain.

As for Dumba, I wouldn’t say he intended to injure Backlund. But he definitely had his skates in the air and made head contact. The gif you’re speaking about doesn’t even show that contact was made yet.
So you actually don't know what a knee is. Here's the actual rule from the NHL rulebook:
Kneeing - Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his opponent
So you basically just said "no it's not a knee because it fits the exact definition of a knee in the NHL rulebook but I both don't know the rules and didn't bother to look them up before insisting I knew what I was talking about."

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Giordano is very smart, he's taking advantage of the current rules on knee to knee hits. Skirting around avoiding being suspended while going around with possible intent to injure other players given his history on knee hits.

They need to make the intentional knee on knee hits an auto suspension, knee injuries can be serious.

And slashes aren’t dangerous? Or hitting from behind? Or charging? Everything is dangerous with intent. Not sure how you prove intent in this case. Don’t think there are many players in the league that would want to deliberately injure someone.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Every time Gaudreau plays Minnesota and his hands end up beat to rat ****e, I bet that exact thought run through his head.

But no Wild player has been suspended for that so therefore it can't be dirty, unless that logic only applies to Giordano.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Koivu leaves him to the dust and heads to the goal. Trip ensues.

There are 10 ways to make that trip without kneeing. Gio could learn a some new tricks that don't involve the knee. Also learn skating, Koivu moves at Jagr speed nowadays.

Speed has nothing to do with a player that is out of position and not skating forward. It’s not like they were skating towards a puck to beat icing. Dmen get beat along the boards (usually skating backwards) very often.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Giordano legitimately straightens his leg upon contact. It doesn’t even meet the criteria of being called a knee.

Here's from the NHL rulebook. Sure it does.

Kneeing
- Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in
some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his
opponent.

I’ll admit it was a reckless trip by a very competitive player. But his suspension history would indicate there’s no intent to injure which is what knee on knee hits are based on.

Here is more from the same rulebook. You are mistaken again.

Minor Penalty
- The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor
penalty, ba
sed on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of
kneeing an opponent.
Major Penalty
- The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major
penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of
kneeing an opponent (see
).
Match Penalty
– The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match
penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately
injured his opponent by kneeing.
Game Misconduct Penalty
- When a player has been assessed a
major penalty for kneeing he shall also be assessed a Game
Misconduct.
Fines and Suspensions
– Refer to Rule 23.6 –
Fines and
Suspenions – Physical Fouls Category.
There are no specified fines or suspensions for kneeing, however,
supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his
discretion

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
So you actually don't know what a knee is. Here's the actual rule from the NHL rulebook:

So you basically just said "no it's not a knee because it fits the exact definition of a knee in the NHL rulebook but I both don't know the rules and didn't bother to look them up before insisting I knew what I was talking about."
Yes i do, been watching the game for over 20 years and was around when the Bryan Marchments of the league roamed.

In the gif I provided, Matt Cooke extends his leg out to make knee on knee contact. That’s what the rule is stating. Giordano phyisically straightens his leg to trip Koivu who got up on his own power afterwards. If it was truly a knee on knee he would’ve been writhing in pain afterwards. Even your beat writer Michael Russo calls it a shin on shin. You’re just angry about the shutout loss, personally I would just shift my thoughts towards beating the Oilers tonight.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Yes i do, been watching the game for over 20 years and was around when the Bryan Marchments of the league roamed.

In the gif I provided, Matt Cooke extends his leg out to make knee on knee contact. That’s what the rule is stating. Giordano phyisically straightens his leg to trip Koivu who got up on his own power afterwards. If it was truly a knee on knee he would’ve been writhing in pain afterwards. Even your beat writer Michael Russo calls it a shin on shin. You’re just angry about the shutout loss, personally I would just shift my thoughts towards beating the Oilers tonight.

Stop making rules up that aren't true.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

So in your mind, because the knee last night wasn't as bad as Cooke's knee years ago, that makes Gio's incident not a knee? So according to you the worst incident of a specific form of contact sets the bar for what is or isn't an offense? A knee on knee hit doesn't have to be a player leading with their knee resulting in a catastrophic hit. I don't know if you didn't actually read the rule before you responded, but sticking out your leg (which he clearly did as you have even stated) which leads to knee on knee contact is still kneeing.

While we're talking about Russo, he then later tweeted the above picture that it is knee on knee. He has also tweeted Dumba isn't receiving additional discipline, Gio and your coach's incidents are still being reviewed.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Here's from the NHL rulebook. Sure it does.

Kneeing
- Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in
some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his
opponent.

Here is more from the same rulebook. You are mistaken again.

Minor Penalty
- The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor
penalty, ba
sed on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of
kneeing an opponent.
Major Penalty
- The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major
penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of
kneeing an opponent (see
).
Match Penalty
– The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match
penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately
injured his opponent by kneeing.
Game Misconduct Penalty
- When a player has been assessed a
major penalty for kneeing he shall also be assessed a Game
Misconduct.
Fines and Suspensions
– Refer to Rule 23.6 –
Fines and
Suspenions – Physical Fouls Category.
There are no specified fines or suspensions for kneeing, however,
supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his
discretion
I’m not saying Giordano doesn’t extend his leg out. But he clearly straightens his leg upon contact, that’s why it was called a trip on the ice, not a knee. I thought knee on knee hits had to include that actual part of the body, not the shin. It fits the definition of a trip more than anything else.

I’ll gladly state that I’m wrong if he’s suspended, but I can almost guarantee you he won’t be no matter how much of that rule book you’d like to throw at me.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
So in your mind, because the knee last night wasn't as bad as Cooke's knee years ago, that makes Gio's incident not a knee? So according to you the worst incident of a specific form of contact sets the bar for what is or isn't an offense? A knee on knee hit doesn't have to be a player leading with their knee resulting in a catastrophic hit. I don't know if you didn't actually read the rule before you responded, but sticking out your leg (which he clearly did as you have even stated) which leads to knee on knee contact is still kneeing.

While we're talking about Russo, he then later tweeted the above picture that it is knee on knee. He has also tweeted Dumba isn't receiving additional discipline, Gio and your coach's incidents are still being reviewed.
Except he sticks his leg out to make a trip which is how the officials obviously saw it as well. I guess we’ll have to wait for the final review to come through, but I can almost guarantee you it won’t result in a suspension like you hope. If I'm wrong I have no problem admitting that, but I saw it the same as the officials on the ice. It was a tripping penalty.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I've taken that hit on the ice before - I'm usually limping the following day for 2 weeks if it's not a serious injury.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I’ll gladly state that I’m wrong if he’s suspended, but I can almost guarantee you he won’t be no matter how much of that rule book you’d like to throw at me.

I don't know if he is suspended or not , doubt it.Maybe a fine.

Just pointed out for you what the definition of kneeing was and what penalties it can carry seeing you didn't know what they were. Also even if it was called tripping on the ice doesn't mean it wasn't knee on knee like you can see from the picture that has been linked a few times here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->