Giordano's knee on knee (?) on Koivu (upd: suspended 2 games)

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Should have been 5 for kneeing but that's not necessarily an indictment of the reffing as it could be tough to make that judgment real-time.

As it was only a tripping penalty, I'd say a fine would be sufficient here. Gio has had knee on knee incidents a couple times in the past. While none have ever looked malicious, you need to be more responsible than that in these situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBeast

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Giordano is very smart, he's taking advantage of the current rules on knee to knee hits. Skirting around avoiding being suspended while going around with possible intent to injure other players given his history on knee hits.

They need to make the intentional knee on knee hits an auto suspension, knee injuries can be serious.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Gio has played 783 games. Over the course of a career that long the occasional unintentional accident is going to happen, particularly when you play a physical game like Gio does.
How many times has Gio been suspended by he league?

His knee on knees have been pretty frequent the last few years.

It's such a rare play nowadays you almost never see it.

The fact that the same guy keeps getting involved in knee on knee hits means he's being reckless.

You don't accidently throw out a knee as many times as he has. Even if its not intention to inure you have to be responsible for where you put your knees just like your stick and your elbows.

Should be suspended.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm sure you have because Gio isn't a dirty player. 783 games played - zero suspensions.
Who the hell cares?

Let me preface this by saying that I agree that this wasn't malicious and shouldn't receive any further discipline, but this isn't a good argument at all.

Just because a guy hasn't been suspended before in the past doesn't mean he can't do something dirty in the present.

That's like a lawyer in court saying their client is not guilty just because he doesn't have a criminal history prior to the current case. There can be a first for everything.

Reactions: yukoner88

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Gio has played 783 games. Over the course of a career that long the occasional unintentional accident is going to happen, particularly when you play a physical game like Gio does.
How many times has Gio been suspended by he league?

So generally speaking you think that a player that hasn't been suspended in the past shouldn't be suspended since he has a clean record ?

Hmm , something is not right here...

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
The last time he did this people were saying its just how he skates.Seems to be a recuring theme with him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
"Unintentionally" kneeing someone seems to be his forte.

My thoughts on the Koivu incident are that he wasn't tying to injure him, but definitely deserves at least a fine because he injured the player and it was illegal knee-on-knee contact. But that Ryan one... how was he not suspended for that? Crazy. Definitely intentional and dirty. Guess that's the DoPS for you.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
"Unintentionally" kneeing someone seems to be his forte.

Name me any player who has played 800 NHL games and I will find accidental dirty play they made. Sorry nothing to see hear move along to another thread.

I love how ducks fans are all over this thread calling him dirty when their team employs/employed kesler bieksa perry....

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I love how ducks fans are all over this thread calling him dirty when their team employs/employed kesler bieksa perry....

Those guys are all dirtbags but that doesn't make Giordano's dangerous plays any better.

Maybe if he sat a few games he'd learn a lesson.

The fact that he never got any discipline over the Ryan knee in particular is mind bottling.

Reactions: Desert Duck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Name me any player who has played 800 NHL games and I will find accidental dirty play they made. Sorry nothing to see hear move along to another thread.

I suspect you would have a tough time naming off the most recent major incidents involving Ducks players that resulted in any of these types of discussions. Seems you're a bit stuck in the past, meanwhile Giordano is still sticking his leg out.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
People asked for a separate thread for this one. Is it a knee on knee, or simply a skate on skate trip? Koivu got injured on the play and Giordano got 2 minutes for tripping.

Koivu leaves him to the dust and heads to the goal. Trip ensues.

There are 10 ways to make that trip without kneeing. Gio could learn a some new tricks that don't involve the knee. Also learn skating, Koivu moves at Jagr speed nowadays.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
No way that is worth a suspension but who knows with DOPS

Last edited:

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think Gio was a bit reckless here, I doubt he was trying to injure, but he was going for the trip with reckless disregard an a knee on knee occured. I can understand the Refs only giving 2 for the trip and in my opinion I don't think it rises to the level of suspension. I would not argue if a fine was assessed, but being the NHL I probably wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He absolutely stuck his leg out realizing that we was beat.
Very unbecoming of a runaway Norris trophy candidate!

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->