Value of: Giordano to a win-now (non-rebuild) team

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Exactly. He also had his bicep come off his bone entirely. He couldn't really even shoot the puck for the first 20 games. Agreed heartily on Weber too. Seabrook is another guy who is getting all sorts of credit for his play three years ago. Same thing happened in Calgary when Iginla hit 31. His all around play plummeted even though his counting stats didn't. To this point, Giordano hasn't declined at all.

Off topic but Iginla was a beast until 2011/2012. 33/34 probably.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

He was good, but had definitely lost a step. He's really had a pretty steady decline since he hit 30/31, but his scoring ability is so good that it wasn't something everyone would necessarily notice (and the decline was relatively slow until his last year in Calgary).

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I'd give up a pretty ridiculous amount from Dallas.

Honka + Nuke + 1st, and probably another prospect.

Giordano - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Johns
Lindell - Oduya
Nemeth

As great as that is, I don't see it happening. No reason for Calgary to trade him, and the price would be too rich for Nill to cough up.

This one is one that has been discussed to death as the most agreeable from both parties thus far (doesn't mean everyone agrees, but it's probably the closest)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Exactly what I'm talking about. His counting stats were still there but he was terrible defensively and wasn't driving play anymore. Kind of similar to Weber. Iginla in his prime was like Crosby, he was a beast everywhere. Good defensively, won every battle and couldn't be contained. Iginla post 31 was like Dany Heatley in his prime. He had a good shot and knew where to go to get it off but was below average at everything except offense.

Weber is similar. In his prime he was an elite defenseman in every way. Now, he's elite offensively and physical, but a poor defender.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not a fan of either team, but what about Leddy + MDC for Gio? 25 yr old LHD just establishing himself as a top pairing guy, paid 5.5 per through 2022 for a 32 yr old legit #1 LHD making 6.75 per through 2022. MDC - a highly touted prospect whose development curve has been lacking - evens out the difference?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not a fan of either team, but what about Leddy + MDC for Gio? 25 yr old LHD just establishing himself as a top pairing guy, paid 5.5 per through 2022 for a 32 yr old legit #1 LHD making 6.75 per through 2022. MDC - a highly touted prospect whose development curve has been lacking - evens out the difference?

It's not an unreasonable offer. I just don't want to trade Giordano personally. I like Leddy, not a huge fan of prospects who aren't panning out like MDC unless it's situational.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I'd trade Giordano 1-for-1 if we could pull back someone like Ristolainen, OEL or Lindholm.

Love Gio. Would love him on the Oilers. However I dont see him getting you close to any of those 3 in a deal. Age, contract term, injuries being the 3 main reasons.

SemONER*

Jun 25, 2016
Why is that funny? Should the oilers just stop trying to win because they have been a joke for 10 years?

No. The "win now" part is funny cause they are as far from that as possible. They are still a win way later sorta team. Win now shouldn't be on the oilers minds.

Maybe your definition of win now is different then mine but I'm under the understanding win now means going all in for a cup in the coming season. Oilers still have some roster turnover to happen before they go in win now mode.

I also see it as a closing window in some cases and the oilers window is far from closed. Once it gets opened they could be winning for a while before going into win now mode.

Aging, but still very good vets/core, making bold transactions. That's how I view win now. I could be wrong

I see the Sharks as a win now team for example.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jesus H. Christ this is embarrassing. Giordano better than Weber? Not a ****ing chance. I love Gio but talk about blind homerism.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No. The "win now" part is funny cause they are as far from that as possible. They are still a win way later sorta team. Win now shouldn't be on the oilers minds.

Maybe your definition of win now is different then mine but I'm under the understanding win now means going all in for a cup in the coming season. Oilers still have some roster turnover to happen before they go in win now mode.

I also see it as a closing window in some cases and the oilers window is far from closed. Once it gets opened they could be winning for a while before going into win now mode.

Aging, but still very good vets/core, making bold transactions. That's how I view win now. I could be wrong

I see the Sharks as a win now team for example.

In a sense the Oilers while not in win now mode are on the ELC clock. Nurse, Leon, and McDavid all are getting paid in the next two years. Probably for more than the ****** contracts that will expire.

It will greatly limit their ability to add. Their core is set.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Jesus H. Christ this is embarrassing. Giordano better than Weber? Not a ****ing chance. I love Gio but talk about blind homerism.

Klefbom is better than Weber too. Just to show it's not homerism. I don't have Weber in my top 30 anymore. Most other people who evaluate play based at least partly on analytics don't either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad