Injury Report: Giordano and Stempniak are broken

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Terrible? 5-4-2 our best start in years and we have to accept we are terrible? **** that ****, on paper we look real bad but on paper you don't take into account heart and soul as well as coaching.

I don't care how this team looks on paper this is easily the best team we have had in years simply due to the fact that they are willing to out work a team. In the past if we were down by a 2 goals we would give up this team won't.

I'm tired of hearing that we have to accept that we are bad, because up until now we simply haven't been.

Nice post Hudlinator. I don't know if I'm ready to say this is the best Flames team in years but it looks to me like this could be the first Flames team in years to over achieve.

5-4-2 with 7 of 11 played on the road. I'll take it. I hope the season isn't fubared by November just because of injuries though. That would be a shame.

I know you guys have flamed on me for this suggestion before, but how about Jeff Schultz. I just love it when a Hitmen alumni comes to the Flames. Look how good TJ Galiardi is working out.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Nice post Hudlinator. I don't know if I'm ready to say this is the best Flames team in years but it looks to me like this could be the first Flames team in years to over achieve.

5-4-2 with 7 of 11 played on the road. I'll take it. I hope the season isn't fubared by November just because of injuries though. That would be a shame.

I know you guys have flamed on me for this suggestion before, but how about Jeff Schultz. I just love it when a Hitmen alumni comes to the Flames. Look how good TJ Galiardi is working out.

He seems like more of the same as SOB and Breen needing limited minutes. We need someone who can eat 20 minutes a night and give Wideman and Russell a break on pk. Ideally Grossmann but I thin the Flyers like him to much.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Losing Stemps sucks but it doesn't hurt the team. Gio on the other hand.... I'd say bring up Cundari as soon as he's healthy and see what he can do. If he struggles then look at a trade or signing White.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'd look to being in Fayne from NJ they need some offense and we have a lot of forwards we can move.

Fayne for Horak?

Not ideal admittedly but he can play 20 minutes a night of solid defensive hockey and would be a good partner for Brodie.

Id love this, Fayne is what Breen could be, so bringing in Fayne to eat minutes and be a big body would be great.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
As much as people think we should be chasing the playoffs, the reality is we're year 1 in a rebuild. Knee jerk moves to "win now" is what got the Flames in its troubling position to begin with. I say ride it out unless its for a defenseman that we can build with and doesn't hurt us asset wise (ie., a Phil Kessel trade)

Aug 3, 2010
Losing Stemps sucks but it doesn't hurt the team. Gio on the other hand.... I'd say bring up Cundari as soon as he's healthy and see what he can do. If he struggles then look at a trade or signing White.
:shakehead

He's always underrated but he's been playing fantastically and consistently for this club all season long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
This really sucks but not all is lost. As long as the team shows up like they have been doing we should be fine. I have a good feeling about Butler as well.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Surprise! He wasn't playing with SOB. ;)

That's because usually SOB has to cover for Butler. Sure, Butler appeared to have a better game, but did his partner? No, and that's no coincidence.

People need to realize that SOB is the heart and soul of our defense. Not just on the ice either, but in designing the system and growing the position on a league or pond-hockey evolutionary scale

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No panic trades or trading for vets to shore up the defense. The injuries are a likely a setback in terms of competitive efforts, but they're also a terrific opportunity for prospects already in the system. This is the perfect time to give Breen an extended look in the NHL; if he can't hold up, then they should look into calling up a player from the Heat.

The Flames should still be looking to trade a forward propsect (i.e Nemsiz/Byron/Horak) for a defensive one, since it'd be trading from a position of strength to address a weakness. However, Giordano being out for a while shouldn't lead to a panic acquisition in a foolish attempt to stay competitive. This may be the Flames best start in a long time, but they're still out of a playoff spot and well behind in the wild card race. The team has to be realistic.

And White would just makes things worse; the Flames need someone who can help prevent goals against, not cause more.

TylerSVT*

Terrible? 5-4-2 our best start in years and we have to accept we are terrible? **** that ****, on paper we look real bad but on paper you don't take into account heart and soul as well as coaching.

I don't care how this team looks on paper this is easily the best team we have had in years simply due to the fact that they are willing to out work a team. In the past if we were down by a 2 goals we would give up this team won't.

I'm tired of hearing that we have to accept that we are bad, because up until now we simply haven't been.

82 game season. Flames are already 4th last in our conference (albeit, the east has been awful) and we just lost our captain and a top 6 winger.

The Flames have been playing great, but expecting them to keep up this kind of pace is just foolish.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's because usually SOB has to cover for Butler. Sure, Butler appeared to have a better game, but did his partner? No, and that's no coincidence.

People need to realize that SOB is the heart and soul of our defense. Not just on the ice either, but in designing the system and growing the position on a league or pond-hockey evolutionary scale

I'm bringing out Nicholas Cage again for this one:

Nicolas%20Cage%20trying%20not%20to%20laugh.gif

Shane O'Brien for player-coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad