Gionta vs. Moulson - who's having the poorer season?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
When answering, feel free to use any metric you'd like to use when judging these two players, like whatever impact you think Gionta has on the room, contract given, etc.

I think both are massively underperforming. Which of the two is having the poorer season based on what you expected?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
When answering, feel free to use any metric you'd like to use when judging these two players, like whatever impact you think Gionta has on the room, contract given, etc.

I think both are massively underperforming. Which of the two is having the poorer season based on what you expected?

Moulson.

Off-ice, they are both supposedly relied upon to bring veteran leadership, so possibly a slight edge in favor of Gionta as we at least occasionally hear of him "being a leader" off-ice. Moulson though? Not even a peep about his off-ice influence.

On-ice, they are both supposedly relied upon to bring veteran leadership, so gotta give a big edge to Gionta in this regard as we at least see him "trying" out there. Moulson though? Sure, he's got more points, but then he's gift-wrapped 1st/2nd line minutes and 1st PP unit time, while his floating is entirely ignored. Also, when it comes time to stand up for his linemates being shoved around, it's not exactly Gionta standing there chewing on his mouthguard ;)

Yeah, so Moulson sucks the most out of the two of them. Besides, I don't think it was Gionta who was signed to bring just a tad more production than is being produced.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Based on what I expected, Moulson is having the much worse season. I thought he'd at the very least produce at the same rate he did in Buffalo last year (11 goals in 42 games). Instead, he's produced at a significantly worse rate. And it's not as if he's seemed snake-bitten IMO. He hasn't gotten a bunch of chances but been robbed, hit the post, etc. He really hasn't been noticeable for a majority of the season despite playing with Ennis and Girgensons for much of the year.

I really didn't expect anything of note from Gionta, so I guess he's lived up to my expectations.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Moulson. My expectations for Gionta were nill but I thought Moulson's game would translate into a bit more offense. But with the overall state of the team I do not hold it against Moulson or think he is dogging it out there or anything.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Moulson AINEC for me.

Gionta, by all accounts, has been a strong locker room presence and has brought exactly what I thought he'd bring on the defensive side of things. He's also been hamstrung by the worst set of hands we've seen this side of Grier (Mitchell) and a rotating winger who usually doesn't bring much offense.

Moulson on the other hand has been given 1st line ice time and is pretty much invisible in every way shape and form.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If the season ended today, I would expect Moulson to bounce back. He's still getting to the places he needs to be, he's around the net, hes getting to quality scoring chances. Moulson's production faults are more because he doesn't have skilled enough linemates to get the puck to the front of the net.

If the season ended today I'd wonder how much Gionta has left to give to this game. I don't think a better team makes Gionta much better. He's falling off and I'm much more inclined to say that Gionta's is a result of him being another half step behind.

So while neither has performed as well as I thought they could. I think Moulson is more likely to bounce back and Gionta is more likely to continue sliding. Moulson is playing his game and through bad luck (early season), to a team poor at generating offense his numbers are low. Gionta looks like a guy who might be almost shot.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Moulson. I didn't expect much offense from Gionta, just responsible two-way play and leadership off the ice, which he seems to be providing. Moulson is a goal scorer who isn't scoring many goals.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Easily Moulson, for the reasons already stated. If Moulson isn't scoring goals, his game is pretty much useless. Gionta provides energy, speed, defense and leadership.

I think the closer question is, who has been more disappointing, Moulson or Hodgson? The easy answer appears to be Hodgson, however, when you compare their ice time and line mates, a good case can be made for Moulson there, as well.

How much better would we be this year, I wonder, if Moulson, Hodgson and Gionta were each on pace to score around 40-50 points?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
As already stated, Moulson. I didn't expect much in terms of on-production from Gionta, but I did expect some offense from Moulson. If Moulson isn't chipping in goals and putting up some points, he's not really doing anything.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Moulson. I didn't expect much offense from Gionta, just responsible two-way play and leadership off the ice, which he seems to be providing. Moulson is a goal scorer who isn't scoring many goals.

He's not the type of goal scorer that creates chances for himself, though. If he was, I'd be a little harder on him. He doesn't have the speed to do that. He's the type of goal scorer that needs a good center that can distribute the puck. Ennis is good, but he's not Tavares.

He thrives with better players around him. The problem with his production this season is that we have to rely too much on the rush to score goals since we don't get much puck possession at all, and he would be putting up better numbers when he can post up in front of the net and do what he does best. He's not good on the rush and it's showing in his numbers

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Ditto pretty well everything that's been said. I skimmed over our trade history just in case there was someone whom he played with last season that got moved but it seems most of who would have been his linemates are still here. (if he spent time with Stafford it obviously doesn't count since he was only traded days ago) In a weird way I don't mind the lack of offensive production because it is pro-tank but even a slight improvement in production wouldn't drastically affect our chances for 30th. A Moulson/Hodgson discussion would probably have more of a split discussion.

The only thing I expected from Gionta was to mentor the younger players in any way he could on and off the ice and it's a little more difficult to quantify whether that has been a success or not, well other than being five months into a terrible season and not hearing any reports of off-ice troubles for the youngsters.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Stick Eichel with Moulson and he'll look a lot better all of a sudden.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think they are both having excellent seasons, especially Moulson.

Sincerely,
Tanking

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think they are both having excellent seasons, especially Moulson.

Sincerely,
Tanking
Gionta has actually earned the team a few points this year. I would be very curious to see how many games the team has been blown out when he's not in the lineup. He and Mitchell are a decent stabilizing duo.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Moulson has been more disappointing relative to expectations but he has been better than Gionta. Gionta, for the most part, looks like he doesn't belong in the NHL anymore. Moulson is a player dependent on the ability of his linemates to drive the play and set him up so I have less worry about him going forward as our possession and talent increases across the roster.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Ditto pretty well everything that's been said. I skimmed over our trade history just in case there was someone whom he played with last season that got moved but it seems most of who would have been his linemates are still here. (if he spent time with Stafford it obviously doesn't count since he was only traded days ago) In a weird way I don't mind the lack of offensive production because it is pro-tank but even a slight improvement in production wouldn't drastically affect our chances for 30th. A Moulson/Hodgson discussion would probably have more of a split discussion.

The only thing I expected from Gionta was to mentor the younger players in any way he could on and off the ice and it's a little more difficult to quantify whether that has been a success or not, well other than being five months into a terrible season and not hearing any reports of off-ice troubles for the youngsters.

I'm not sure a Moulson/Hodgson discussion would be more split, but that theory goes to how it is there's been a great deal of chatter to the effect Hodgson sucks for reasons all his own while Moulson, who is having an equally dismal year (in context with each player's prior outputs) and plays an eerily similar game (defensively, physically, etc.), is gift-wrapped opportunity without anyone raising an eyebrow.

I'd guess in such a comparison discussion, the chatter continues how Hodgson has no excuses while poor Moulson is off the hook because he needs better linemates to be effective, yadda, yadda.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
Neither players' performance has me worried

My goal for Moulson was to have him scoring goals on a scoring line when we are good toward the end of next season and the year after that. I still think that'll happen.

My goal for Gionta was to have him set a good example for younger players in terms of work ethic and character during this terrible season and to still be serviceable to play the 4th line as we start to turn good. I still think that'll happen.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I don't see much changed about Moulson from last year, his points are down but new assistant coaches and no Ehrhoff could explain the roughly 20% drop.

13/14- 44 games 11g 18a, 3 + 9 on the powerplay
14/15- 53 games 8g 15a, 1 + 7 powerplay

*edit* worst shooting % of his career this season
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/moulsma01.html

Last edited:

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
As team puck possession numbers climb out of the basement over the life of MM's contract I would expect to see his numbers steadily climb as a result. I am disappointed but not concerned long term.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don't see much changed about Moulson from last year, his points are down but new assistant coaches and no Ehrhoff could explain the roughly 20% drop.

13/14- 44 games 11g 18a, 3 + 9 on the powerplay
14/15- 53 games 8g 15a, 1 + 7 powerplay

*edit* worst shooting % of his career this season
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/moulsma01.html

2pnts in his first 14 games

take that out 39gp 8g 13a and he's only 5 pnts off last seasons totals

I think people have an inflated view of what Moulson brings to the ice every night, he's a garbage man, his only skill is cleaning up garbage in front of the net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad