Proposal: Gio - Vlasic

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If there were a Sharks Dman I would want to trade for, it'd be a smaller trade, like Jokipakka for Schlemko. I feel both Calgary and San Jose should be happy with Vlasic-Braun-Burns and Giordano-Brodie-Hamilton, so this trade doesn't really make sense. The functional difference between the two teams is the difference between Couture/Thornton/Pavelski/Marleau with their thousands of games of experience and the still developing Monahan/Bennett/Gaudreau/Tkachuk. Vlasic would look worse defensively in Calgary while being less offensive.

No dice. Schlemko has been such a great fit in SJ. We have no reason to trade the guy unless it's for a huge upgrade.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
calgary adds a very nice piece to make sj consider it. they probably wouldnt though.

It seems to be a tricky trade, Gio clearly has more value than Vlasic IMO but for the Sharks, at least from what I saw in the Blues/Sharks playoff round last year Vlasic was the only reason Burns is able to play so loose.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It seems to be a tricky trade, Gio clearly has more value than Vlasic IMO but for the Sharks, at least from what I saw in the Blues/Sharks playoff round last year Vlasic was the only reason Burns is able to play so loose.
Clearly is pushing it. Vlasic is just as good but cheaper and younger. Also Vlasic and Burns don't play together and haven't since we first got him.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Clearly is pushing it. Vlasic is just as good but cheaper and younger. Also Vlasic and Burns don't play together and haven't since we first got him.

Thats why I said 'In my Opinion' I know everyone judges players differently. You are right on the your second point I worded that bad, What I should have said is that Vlasic takes the hard minutes allowing Burns to play his game, he will never be a shutdown guy like Vlasic playing against the other teams number one

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Vlasic is 29 while Giordano is 33 and the Sharks have been a good team with Vlasic why would they want to make a change like that?

^^This pretty much. And that Gio contract is a probably going to be scary bad for the last few years of it

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

How does Gio have more value than Vlasic? Apparently team Canada didn't think so.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
^^This pretty much. And that Gio contract is a probably going to be scary bad for the last few years of it

You'd be able to absorb it if Thornton retires and you go into rebuild, no? Or is it immediately blocking the re-signing of a player? (ie: Burns)

I mean, I get it. Both teams looking for a slight shake up to move forward in their stage (Sharks, SC contention, Flames, rebuild core). The major question is whether Vlasic v Giordano is the right shakeup to pursue.

As far as I can tell, fit wise, Calgary probably wants a defensive D added to the top 4. The Sharks don't mind adding an offensive minded D in their top 4. Sharks fans are split as to whether Vlasic would be worth paying for an offensive minded #1D like Gio.

Horrible optics included... this is actually a very hard decision from a Flames fan perspective. It also does seem like it's split on the Shark's Fan side as well.

I will say... Sharks and Flames seem to have swapped pieces in recent history that have benefited both teams. Schlemko has also fit well in SJ. It would have been nice to keep him, but looking at the cap situation and contract situation on our D, we wouldn't have been able to retain him anyways.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
How does Gio have more value than Vlasic? Apparently team Canada didn't think so.

Well you are welcome to your own opinion, that being said team Canada dosent need any offense from the D, so for that team having a great defensive Dman is the right pick, You do realize that Canada does not just pick the best players available. The GMs try to build the best TEAM, its why players like Kunitz some how make the team, the GMs pick players for roles on that team and Vlasic is one of if not the best defensive dman in the league.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What about Braun, Ward and a 1st for Gio and a bit of salary retained?

Brodie-Braun would be a top-5 pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad