Proposal: Gio - Vlasic

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
If there were a Sharks Dman I would want to trade for, it'd be a smaller trade, like Jokipakka for Schlemko. I feel both Calgary and San Jose should be happy with Vlasic-Braun-Burns and Giordano-Brodie-Hamilton, so this trade doesn't really make sense. The functional difference between the two teams is the difference between Couture/Thornton/Pavelski/Marleau with their thousands of games of experience and the still developing Monahan/Bennett/Gaudreau/Tkachuk. Vlasic would look worse defensively in Calgary while being less offensive.

Super no here. Schlemko has been a freaking revelation here. Not to mention he somehow is making Dillon look... good. Also Schlemko is the only other d besides Burns that shows any offensive flair.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Then how do you see it, Einstein?
Well anyone that has actually watched the team knows they lack a shutdown presence in their top 4 and so far this season the top players have not played like top players both upfront and on the blueline.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If there were a Sharks Dman I would want to trade for, it'd be a smaller trade, like Jokipakka for Schlemko. I feel both Calgary and San Jose should be happy with Vlasic-Braun-Burns and Giordano-Brodie-Hamilton, so this trade doesn't really make sense. The functional difference between the two teams is the difference between Couture/Thornton/Pavelski/Marleau with their thousands of games of experience and the still developing Monahan/Bennett/Gaudreau/Tkachuk. Vlasic would look worse defensively in Calgary while being less offensive.

The functional difference between the two teams is also that the Sharks have actual depth players.

Schlemko might be our third best defenseman at this point, that's how good he is. I have absolutely zero interest in trading him.

Giordano is a wonderful player but Vlasic is younger and cheaper and approximately as good. If you wanna talk Brodie, Vlasic can come into the table. Otherwise, it's a polite no from me.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
If I were running the Sharks i'd maybe do a bit of tinkering but for the most part i'd want to take another run with essentially the same group. It often takes a good run like what San Jose had last season to get over that final hurdle.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Vlasic is 29 while Giordano is 33 and the Sharks have been a good team with Vlasic why would they want to make a change like that?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Vlasic is 29 while Giordano is 33 and the Sharks have been a good team with Vlasic why would they want to make a change like that?

My argument is that Gio is an elite offensive producer. Perhaps this gives SJ a different look and maybe makes them a better team. Their window to win is now.

The Flames do this for reasons mentioned previously.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
I think Vlasic is a great defensemen and I would love to have him on my team but I think he gets overrated around here. His last season was a one-off in terms of offensive output.. He's going back to his 25 point/yr self.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think Vlasic is a great defensemen and I would love to have him on my team but I think he gets overrated around here. His last season was a one-off in terms of offensive output.. He's going back to his 25 point/yr self.

Great 25 points and elite defense is fine from a defender. Also it's pretty clear that you don't watch the Sharks considering you're not taking into account his ability to get the puck forward.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
pfft, Gio+2017 1st for Vlasic. Pickles is so damn valuable.

plus you're kinda trying to sell Gio while his value is at an all time low eh? Not smart

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My argument is that Gio is an elite offensive producer. Perhaps this gives SJ a different look and maybe makes them a better team. Their window to win is now.

The Flames do this for reasons mentioned previously.

How much of his offense comes on the power play? Sharks have long run a 4F, 1D configuration on their first unit and Burns has the D spot locked down and the 2nd unit plays like 30 seconds.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
How the hell does our D get "unbalanced"? We literally have one defenseman capable of generating offense. It's unbalanced right now.

Schlemko and Burns both create offense. Even you yourself have said Schlemko has the best stretch pass on the team.

Giordano would be a welcome addition as a dman who isn't far off Vlasic defensively but is worlds better offensively.

He wouldn't put us over the top this year and he's getting paid top dollar (for us at least) until he is almost 39.

No thanks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks can't afford this trade straight up. There's a 2.5 million dollar difference between the two. Vlasic is also the more valuable asset at this point at least until next season starts. You throw that in with the age difference and you'd need to add something substantial while also taking salary the other way to make it work. Also think that it being within the division doesn't make it all that appealing either way. Sharks can fix whatever issues w/o helping a divisional rival.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ha. Lol. No.

There is not a single legitimate reason for the Sharks to make this deal. Giordano is an amazing d-man. He's a #1. He's just not Vlasic, and Vlasic is so important to the Sharks. I'd argue he's our single most important player behind MAYBE Thornton.

Vlasic is the best defensive d-man in the league, he's younger, he's on a better contract, he fits our team better, etc. just no reason for this. The only edge Giordano has is offensive talent, but I'd rather keep Vlasic still, who is good for 35-40 points.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ha. Lol. No.

There is not a single legitimate reason for the Sharks to make this deal. Giordano is an amazing d-man. He's a #1. He's just not Vlasic, and Vlasic is so important to the Sharks. I'd argue he's our single most important player behind MAYBE Thornton.

Vlasic is the second best defensive d-man in the league, he's younger, he's on a better contract, he fits our team better, etc. just no reason for this. The only edge Giordano has is offensive talent, but I'd rather keep Vlasic still, who is good for 35-40 points.

I know you're going to attack me, but Hjalmarsson beats him defensively.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Sharks pass. Vlasic > Giordano.

Sharks fan
I agree that Sharks pass bc of how important Vlasic is to our team and bc of his age and contract. But Gio's a great d-man too. I think it comes down to fit (of contract, role on team, age, etc) than anything.

Some Flames' fans gave Sharks' fans props earlier. I'd like to give the Flames' fans props for being reasonable too and also to OP for proposing a 1:1 quality for quality trade that fits both teams needs and timelines instead of a "we'll give you a good/decent piece, a good/decent prospect, and a pick for one of your best players" or a proposal for all picks/prospects + maybe a cap dump for a player we need when we're trying to win now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sharks fan
I agree that Sharks pass bc of how important Vlasic is to our team and bc of his age and contract. But Gio's a great d-man too. I think it comes down to fit (of contract, role on team, age, etc) than anything.

Some Flames' fans gave Sharks' fans props earlier. I'd like to give the Flames' fans props for being reasonable too and also to OP for proposing a 1:1 quality for quality trade that fits both teams needs and timelines instead of a "we'll give you a good/decent piece, a good/decent prospect, and a pick for one of your best players" or a proposal for all picks/prospects + maybe a cap dump for a player we need when we're trying to win now.

Thanks! Gio means so much to the Flames, and despite not being flashy I realize what Vlasic means to the Sharks. I totally get the sentiment to pass, but nonetheless I believe the value to be equal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sharks fan

I think this is an idea to revisit if the Shark cannot retain Burns this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad