Proposal: Gio - Vlasic

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There's been some talk on the Flames board that Calgary's defence is flawed the way it is built. I personally feel we have to much of the same and we are missing an elite defensive Dman. My apologies if the value is off, but would SJ have any appetite to do this.

Giordano for Vlasic, discuss..

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
No. So I am not bashing Gio , but Vlasic is just plain better at winning a team games. Gio is a fantastic player, most teams would love him. But Vlasic plays a purpose here, we throw out him and Braun and they tend to make other teams best players ineffective. It is tantalizing to think of having 45+ minutes of Gio-Braun and Martin-Burns, but what we have now is proven.

Then of course is the contract issue. Gio's contract affects our ability to resign Burns, and in the future Hertl and Donskoi. Vlasic is on an amazing contract now, and DW always manages to get good deals done with our players and I expect nothing different here. To round it all out, Pickles is 4 years younger, and has never had injury issues. To summarize: nah, we pass.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Not a fan of either team (though I do like the Flames), but I would think that if SJ were to trade Vlasic to Calgary, it would be centered around Brodie (with adjustments on one or both sides) rather than Gio.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No. So I am not bashing Gio , but Vlasic is just plain better at winning a team games. Gio is a fantastic player, most teams would love him. But Vlasic plays a purpose here, we throw out him and Braun and they tend to make other teams best players ineffective. It is tantalizing to think of having 45+ minutes of Gio-Braun and Martin-Burns, but what we have now is proven.

Then of course is the contract issue. Gio's contract affects our ability to resign Burns, and in the future Hertl and Donskoi. Vlasic is on an amazing contract now, and DW always manages to get good deals done with our players and I expect nothing different here. To round it all out, Pickles is 4 years younger, and has never had injury issues. To summarize: nah, we pass.
I'm not suggesting that a trade like this is something the Sharks should do, but suggesting it impedes Hertl's next contract is false logic since Vlasic's next contract would be up when Hertl needs to be re-signed and re-signing Vlasic would then be an impediment to re-signing Hertl anyways.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Most overrated star defenseman

VS

Most underrated star defenseman.

I'll keep the better, underrated one

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
I'm not suggesting that a trade like this is something the Sharks should do, but suggesting it impedes Hertl's next contract is false logic since Vlasic's next contract would be up when Hertl needs to be re-signed and re-signing Vlasic would then be an impediment to re-signing Hertl anyways.

The issue is that Vlasic won't make as much as much as Gio, IMO. and that's not even touching how it effects Burns' status. Plus if Vlasic and Hertl are up at the same time and they are both integral components of our team (they are) then it's actually advantage for us because DW tends to use the for the team's benefit pledge to keep cap hits lower. It's what he has done for years with Marleau and Jumbo, and I expect DW to do so again.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The issue is that Vlasic won't make as much as much as Gio, IMO. and that's not even touching how it effects Burns' status. Plus if Vlasic and Hertl are up at the same time and they are both integral components of our team (they are) then it's actually advantage for us because DW tends to use the for the team's benefit pledge to keep cap hits lower. It's what he has done for years with Marleau and Jumbo, and I expect DW to do so again.
I never touched Burns' status because I didn't disagree, but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Vlasic got a contract with a similar AAV to Giordano. The cost of signing top 4 defensemen has gone up a great deal since Vlasic and Brodie signed their contracts.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Most overrated star defenseman

VS

Most underrated star defenseman.

I'll keep the better, underrated one

How is Gio overrated? He's been good, save the first 3 games of the season where everyone on our team was garbage. His PPG is second highest among defencemen the last 5 years. (Although Burns may have passed him recently)

Now I know obviously SJ wouldn't move the younger asset. But the fact Gio, Brodie, Monahan and Gaudreau all suck after 15 games (Gio hasn't even been bad) is hilarious.

Both Gio and Brodie were in the final discussion for team Canada defensive spots. Brodie was a top 5 D last year. No doubt. He's struggled but it won't be long until he's a top defencemen again.

Last edited:

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
I never touched Burns' status because I didn't disagree, but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Vlasic got a contract with a similar AAV to Giordano. The cost of signing top 4 defensemen has gone up a great deal since Vlasic and Brodie signed their contracts.

Oh, for sure on actual value Vlasic is worth 7m+. I mean really, in the FA market Vlasic gets that easy. But this is a different situation, especially in SJ. If a player wants to play here, DW tends to get them to sign very team friendly deals.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What Giordano and a 1st for Vlasic, and a cap dump? That works out far better than straight up right?

Sharks are good. They have no need to make a move. Especially if they move their defensive D. Then they would have the same problem as Calgary. Too many offensive guys, no shutdown guy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Vlasic is a 6 million dollar Dman all day. Seabrook is over 6.8, its hard not to imagine that Vlasic won't get at least 6.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh, for sure on actual value Vlasic is worth 7m+. I mean really, in the FA market Vlasic gets that easy. But this is a different situation, especially in SJ. If a player wants to play here, DW tends to get them to sign very team friendly deals.
The Flames have a history of this too, Giordano's contract is not this abomination that some fans like to make it out to be. People were expecting Giordano to sign for 7.5+ and were surprised that it came in at 6.75. I think VLasic signing at 6.5-7 would still be team friendly considering what he brings and what the market says these guys are worth.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I'm a Sharks fan and I would absolutely do this. Any Sharks fan who wouldn't is insane. Main impediment is making the $ work, Flames would likely have to take Wingels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad