Post-Game Talk: Ginger Papa def. Jets with Superior GDT (Nucks win 4-0)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
It's hard to stay down on this team when the Jets are 3rd in the division and we are a better team than them. We have 2 wins against them and they were in dominant fashion as was this one. Having the best defenceman in the division is a huge advantage, like having Lidstrom or Niedermeyer. He played fantastic today and unlike earlier in the season he wasn't getting bullied or pushed around.

With our top 4 defencemen and top 6 forwards we match-up well with all teams in the division except Toronto.

The Oilers are parading Darnell Nurse as their #1, I would debate Edler/Schmidt are right behind him on the D list.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Figures this team can't even tank properly...

The team is trying to build a winning culture, so they are not going to tank. It's only certain people on this board who want the Canucks to lose over and over. You let these young guys get accustomed to losing, then the team will be ruined. Thank god HF Board team tank doesn't run the Canucks.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I didn’t think Hamonic was that bad, he had a couple of glaring blunders but otherwise I thought he was fine. Only his 7th game with the team as well. To me he’s better than Benn, I know that’s a low bar though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The team is trying to build a winning culture, so they are not going to tank. It's only certain people on this board who want the Canucks to lose over and over. You let these young guys get accustomed to losing, then the team will be ruined. Thank god HF Board team tank doesn't run the Canucks.
It's also 30 games left in the season. And most of the other teams in the USA are 5/6 games behind the Canucks in terms of games played. Way way too early to be counting down the games.

If the draft lottery has taught people on this board anything, is that you don't count on being the worst team in the NHL to have luck at the draft lottery. 2nd or 3rd worst still likely to drop to 5/6th selection.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Brah weve been tanking unintentionally for the past 7 years.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Those certain people want Benning and the rest of the useless f***s in front office gone. If the Canucks keep winning, it means Benning keeps his job. I’m sorry but we’ve had enough of this team being driven into the ground. 7 years is enough.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Got the jump on the Jets and maybe played our best period of the season in the first. Got some bounces as well. After that we went steadily down hill and many of the old problems (especially in terms of the turnovers) emerged. Down the stretch very dependent on Demko and some more good bounces. At least in the early going the line combos were working and the team was more in sync.

Good

Demko - has been up and down this year but has had enough games like this to have belief that he is, long term, the future of the team in the net. Made some excellent saves at important times. You had the feeling that if Winnipeg scored the flood gates might open.

Schmidt - very solid. One of those games were he and Edler (who again, given some rest, is still a good NHL defenseman) looked efficient together and capable of handling their end. Good job of getting the puck up to the forwards

Hoglander -nice job of pressuring the puck and creating odd man rushes by beating his check. Saw him looking for the lacrosse goal which showed confidence was up.

Pettersson - played well in both ends. Not perfect but much more focused effort.

Sutter - when he plays like this he does a good job of supporting the puck. Back in zone to pick up loose pucks and occupy the slot. Also, he was there to do the little things to give his line some some good service. Smart player who can read play and make good decisions. Unfortunately there is nothing dynamic about his game and while he can play well after rest, he usually doesn't sustain this over a series of games

Myers - very solid first half of the game when he was controlling the puck with authority. In addition, he was, with Edler and Schmidt, handling the Jets size around the net

McEwen - given his role, he was effective. Generally safe in getting the puck out of his zone, in getting a heavy forecheck going, and smartly dumping the puck in to avoid neutral ice turnovers

Bad

Hamonic - looked a little more mobile and quick which gives hope he may improve. However, made too many glaring turnovers leading directly to open chances. Gap control and spacing with Hughes is clearly not good. This duo was poor

Hughes - got worked in his zone and pushed into bad plays. At times pushed right out of the play. Moreover, kept turning the puck back into his end and then losing it. Right now he needs to move the play out quickly and not try to overdo it. At the moment, Hughes can't do what he used to do. He starts trying to pack the puck all around the ice and he is gets himself and the team into trouble.

Others

Gaudette - his hustle was helpful at times and did lead to some offense. Yet so many glitches in his play where he couldn't handle a pass or got the puck caught up in his skates. You wonder about the skill level and he needs to be more than someone just running around hounding the puck. Needs better hands

Virtanen - had good first (where you were thinking - let's hold that trade)and making some steps n the right direction. But later in the game lost confidence and intensity in his end and started fumbling with the puck. This is better version of Virtanen than we have seen throughout the season and the line change seemed to help.

Next game will be a real test as Winnipeg is unlikely to be caught like they were tonite.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I didn’t think Hamonic was that bad, he had a couple of glaring blunders but otherwise I thought he was fine. Only his 7th game with the team as well. To me he’s better than Benn, I know that’s a low bar though.
I liked his physical game, he's not afraid to get his nose dirty..but under pressure, he can make some glaring errors (like throwing the puck into the Jets players skates behind our net..which led to a pizza).

Still wondering if he's still shaking off the rust.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

The Boys came out to fight tonight!
91e3694c0b9c21777ad2dda5355f490b.gif

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
It's hard to stay down on this team when the Jets are 3rd in the division and we are a better team than them. We have 2 wins against them and they were in dominant fashion as was this one. Having the best defenceman in the division is a huge advantage, like having Lidstrom or Niedermeyer. He played fantastic today and unlike earlier in the season he wasn't getting bullied or pushed around.

With our top 4 defencemen and top 6 forwards we match-up well with all teams in the division except Toronto.

The Oilers are parading Darnell Nurse as their #1, I would debate Edler/Schmidt are right behind him on the D list.

I generally support optimism but I don't think Hughes has played like the best Defenceman in the division this year though he has been better recently.

The Canucks top 6 forwards and particularly their top 4 defencemen have only just about in the realm of the likes of Montreal, the Oilers and Winnipeg this year. And Canucks the bottom 6 forwards might be one of the worst groups in the NHL, certainly if judged on production.

Darnell Nurse has actually been pretty great this year. He has played the most 5v5 minutes in the NHL and has a 52% expected goals share and has an actual goals share of 56% against pretty tough competition.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
why would team tank need to run the canucks to tank if benning is so bad at trying to build a winning team that we’ve tanked five out of the last six years

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
why would team tank need to run the canucks to tank if benning is so bad at trying to build a winning team that we’ve tanked five out of the last six years
I've noticed a common theme in the "losing culture" stuff.

Apparently mismanaging the team into a capped out loser doesn't create a losing culture because you were trying to compete, even though you failed.

It's only when management strategically plans out their future and stockpiles assets because they accept the rebuild - that's how you create losing culture.

The participation medal is apparently extremely important. If you're following a plan and thinking ahead, that's reprehensible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad