Gillis Interview(post game)

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
"Role would have to be the right role, not as much dealing with the media. Would be overseeing, educating, creating an organization that appreciates science and technology"

Perfect setup for him to the the president of hockey ops for Canucks. He would do wonders for the development of our young players.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
"Role would have to be the right role, not as much dealing with the media. Would be overseeing, educating, creating an organization that appreciates science and technology"

Perfect setup for him to the the president of hockey ops for Canucks. He would do wonders for the development of our young players.
Even if Aquilini sold the team, I don't think he'd have any interest in coming back here. It very much sounds like the Canadian media and fan base (riot + chanting for him to be fired) left a bad taste in his mouth.

Reactions: Canucker

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

I'm not sure the Aquilini's egos will allow them to bring Gillis back, despite being the best candidate for the job.

Reactions: pomorick

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
It’s clear after hearing this that Benning is here because he does as he is told. Gillis had had enough of doing what he was told and when he balked, he was fired.

Ownership is a massive problem in Vancouver, and one that unfortunately can’t ever get fired.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nice summary. Appreciate it.

Based on your summary I gather that something happened between Gillis and ownership to change it. For my take I think if Gillis told management that he wanted to move out some of the core to get younger and that the end of the line was coming, he got pushback since they were in the finals in 2011 and ownership believed that they should still have 3 years or something left to make a run. That likely caused the rift and disconnect between the 2 sides.

Unfortunately the poor drafting that Gillis admitted to contributed to not having as good a team. Outside of Bo Horvat there’s nothing to write home about of any of his 6 years as the GM when it comes to drafting.

And the performance drop off he takes about, he has to take ownership of the contracts he handed out. Garrison, Hansen, the sedins deals ended in 2018. Burrows and Higgins were to end in 2017. Bieksa and hamhuis and Kesler ended in 2016. Edler ends in 2019. More looking at the Higgins and burrows deals since those were signed in 2012/13. He should have seen the signs then. But he didn’t move on them.

As for Weber, I’m not sure if Poile would say something was close. Only way the Canucks gets him is if Poile oks it either via trade or not matching an offer sheet. Don’t see the Canucks assets in 2012 being able to land Weber. How often does Poile make bad trades?

NTC, Lu was the only one he moved. So I don’t believe it’s as easy as he thinks it would have been to move them. Hamhuis didn’t want to leave in 2016. Bieksa waived in his final year so he was able to sign an extension immediately. Same with burrows when he got moved. Edler has never seemed the type to want to leave. Gillis might have done too good a job about making Vancouver a place guys want to play, as many didn’t want to leave. Throw the twins in that mix too. Biggest asset was Kesler. Anaheim deal was solid if they opted for a prospect like Theodore over Scisba.

Biggest what ifs, if ownership wasn’t meddling, would be whether Gillis would have been able to turn his scouting staff and drafting around. The next item would be his ability to make trades. Significant deals under his regime were Lu for Markstrom and Mathias, Booth for Samuelson, Schneider for Horvat, Ballard for Grabner and 2010 first, the Hoff for a pick. Along with deadline deals for Roy, Higgins, Lappy.

Very good at signing free agents to solid contracts. That’s the lawyer side of him, something that Benning lacks and should be wise enough to hire someone to delegate that duty to.

Would the Canucks be better off if ownership let him run the team as he saw fit? They likely should struggle during the past 4 years. Again, if you are quoting him saying minors and not wanting guys as incentive for them to walive ntc, he may be surprised to get a list of 3 teams to dea with. Minors, the player has to go through waivers. If they get claimed the Canucks get cap space and maybe that team that claims the player sends the player to a desired destination and gets some compensation. So, that’s no threat. In fact, it would destroy all that he tried to build for the franchise if he operated like that. So, how good would any trades have been? Hard to say. Drafting, no clue. Again Horvat is his lone prize in the draft.

Team would be built completely differently. No doubt about that.

Again all this that Gillis is saying is reflection upon what happened being away from it. Would he have this same outline being in the thick of it the past 4 years?

Media is defiantly very negative. He’s right on there.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Even if Aquilini sold the team, I don't think he'd have any interest in coming back here. It very much sounds like the Canadian media and fan base (riot + chanting for him to be fired) left a bad taste in his mouth.

he would have interest, he was asked blantaly if he would come back if it was his desired role, he took a long pause and said he would have to defer answering that question but there would be a lot of consideration.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He actually acquired all the necessary supporting pieces. Tortorella was responsible for Luongo leaving. What a terrible post.

Pavel Demitra
Mats Sundin
Dan Hamhuis (who was coming home anyway,not really an astute move)
Christian Ehrhoff (who we got in a SJ salary dump,and lost him 2 years later in a salary dump of our own)
David Booth
Derek Roy
Jason Garrison

Really..?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The core was nowhere near "elite" when he inherited them, and only bad luck kept them from winning the cup...they had the pieces. If you want to be critical of what happened after the cup run I think that is open to debate...I believe he was pressured by ownership and ultimately paid the price for their meddling, you may choose to believe different and I couldn't say you are wrong...regardless, he was the best GM this franchise has ever had and FAR better than the buffoon we are currently saddled with.
The core was the Sedins,Luongo,Kesler,Bieksa,Salo,Burrows,Bieksa,Edler..which was elite

Agreed on ownership meddling,and he was the GM for the best ever team in history of the franchise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pavel Demitra
Mats Sundin
Christian Ehrhoff (who we got in a SJ salary dump,and lost him 2 years later in a salary dump of our own)
David Booth
Derek Roy
Jason Garrison

Really..?
When the core got older that’s when the poor drafting and player development reared it’s ugly head. The core needed more help, and the Canucks didn’t have cap space anymore to go into free agency to get it. It had to come from within.

Would I like Gillis as the president? Yes. Seems like the right role for him, not GM.

If he lands anywhere else that’s where he should be. GM needs to deal with media.

He did well in certain areas and failed in others.

Something happened to cause a rift between him and ownership. Seems like he was telling them that it was the end of the run, due to the lack of prospects developing, which is his fault, and ownership wasn’t having any of that. Refused to believe it. But when you don’t have the next wave of players and your core is in their early 30’s, you’re kind of stuck.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
When the core got older that’s when the poor drafting and player development reared it’s ugly head. The core needed more help, and the Canucks didn’t have cap space anymore to go into free agency to get it. It had to come from within.

Would I like Gillis as the president? Yes. Seems like the right role for him, not GM.

If he lands anywhere else that’s where he should be. GM needs to deal with media.

He did well in certain areas and failed in others.

Something happened to cause a rift between him and ownership. Seems like he was telling them that it was the end of the run, due to the lack of prospects developing, which is his fault, and ownership wasn’t having any of that. Refused to believe it. But when you don’t have the next wave of players and your core is in their early 30’s, you’re kind of stuck.
Agreed..good post.

member 290103

Pavel Demitra
Mats Sundin
David Booth
Derek Roy
Jason Garrison

Really..?

Yes really. It’s been explained to you already. I am going to go pound my head against the wall instead of trying to explain it to you. You can go back to worshipping Dim Benning and his fabulous acquisitions.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
So, Shea Weber huh.

Gillis sounds better and more relaxed than I've ever heard him. Dare I say it, he even sounds likable. He's talked to Seattle but even if he doesn't end up there I get the impression that he wants to return to sports management.

Reactions: Peen

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes, and he basically said it wasn't his decision and he didn't like what Torts did throughout the year.
Honestly, why did the aquilinis even extend Gillis in 2012 if they weren’t going to give him the reigns. Didn’t they discuss the expectations after each season? What the heck went down between them in 12-13?

Torts never seemed like a Gillis hire. When you fire AV, the next guy has to win in the playoffs or Gillis is out. Never thought torts was the guy Gillis would bet his job on.

Aquilinis seem overly involved or they won’t listen to anyone whose opinion differs from their own in terms of the assessment of the team. Not surprised that Benning does what they want. Retool, still win, not make a decision on hamhuis until days before the TDL. Sheesh....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So, Shea Weber huh.

Gillis sounds better and more relaxed than I've ever heard him. Dare I say it, he even sounds likable. He's talked to Seattle but even if he doesn't end up there I get the impression that he wants to return to sports management.
Do you see Poile trading Weber back in 2012? I don’t.

And they matched Phillys offer sheet.

Outside of Schneider, what else did Vancouver have to entice Nashville to deal their best player?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think this interview confirms that Gillis is never coming back. Doesn't watch the Canucks and holds a rather cynical view of the Canadian hockey market and the fans. I do not blame him, especially when you have a whole arena chanting in unison for your firing after delivering multiple playoff appearances.

Nothing will ever bring me back to love hockey prior to 2011. June 2011 is when I realized the NHL was a crooked league - and all the bush league crap that occurred during the 2011 Finals. Rules thrown out the window, numerous instances of conflict of interests in disciplinary decision-making and overall favoritism to one side. The media was utterly disgusting and ultimately swayed public opinion of one team.

Became a clown show thereafter, with many teams taking liberties on the Canucks top stars. Gillis did a masterclass job building a top cup contender that should have won the SCF. Unfortunate injuries did a number on the team but the state of the NHL ultimately did them in.

Aquilinis seem overly involved or they won’t listen to anyone whose opinion differs from their own in terms of the assessment of the team. Not surprised that Benning does what they want. Retool, still win, not make a decision on hamhuis until days before the TDL. Sheesh....

This is why Benning got an extension. The Aquillini's are too influential and Benning is complacent and not really an autonomous figure.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Do you see Poile trading Weber back in 2012? I don’t.

And they matched Phillys offer sheet.

Outside of Schneider, what else did Vancouver have to entice Nashville to deal their best player?
Gillis didn't elaborate other than to say Nashville threw an offer at Weber that the Canucks couldn't compete with.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The core was the Sedins,Luongo,Kesler,Bieksa,Salo,Burrows,Bieksa,Edler..which was elite

Agreed on ownership meddling,and he was the GM for the best ever team in history of the franchise.

We may have a different idea of what “elite” is...in my opinion, in 2008, when Gillis took over the only elite player at that time, was Luongo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad