Gillies ahead of Esposito for #1 in '07!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
HabLover said:
According to ISS, they are ranking Colton Gillies ahead of Angelo Esposito for the 2007 NHL draft.

I don't think it would have happened if Esposito would not have been so sick during the U17. His junior team had to send him back home for a while so he can recuperate when they saw that he lost 10 pounds and looked miserable.

To me he looks better than Lecavalier at the same age and he's not very far of Crosby.

Default101

AND HOW BOUT THAT MARK KATIC... still no one knows who he is :(

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Where did they put Mikael Backlund? If they don't have him top 5 they haven't done a good job scouting him. He's playing really good in Sweden and the was the best player in the Mac's Midget tournament.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Anything can happen, we are 16 months away from the 2007 draft ad there is still a lot of hockey to be played.

Gillies is a pretty big kid though. Already 6'04 182. Could be 6'05 200 by draft day.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
good to see that some ex NHL canadian players move back to Canada to raise their sons so they to can be "Canadian".

I've haven't seen Gilles play yet but have heard some good things about him. Not sure why people get so ruffled about a draft that is a year in half away. There are probably a couple of players that we've never heard of that will end up in the top ten.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
He doesn't have the speed that Espo has
but he has a better shot.

It doesn't make sense though because Gillies gets
hardly any ice time.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Mallard said:
No love for Thomas Hickey?

:shakehead ISS scouts had the blinders on in Regina

Hickey is outstanding, I can see him being a top 15 pick next year if things continue to go the way they are already.

As a 16 year old, from the game I saw, he is the best blueliner in Seattle all ready.

Has the skating, and that's the key, the rest will develop.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Spetzky said:
He doesn't have the speed that Espo has
but he has a better shot.

It doesn't make sense though because Gillies gets
hardly any ice time.

Thats because the Blades have 2 strong lines in Klassen-Rabbit-Bahensky and Setoguchi-Barnes-Bader. They also have the Mac line to so there isnt enough time to go around apparantly. Next year though Gilles will most likely get a ton of ice time.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
With stats like 6-4-10 through 38 games, it's hard to REALLY justify the rankings. So Gillies had a pretty good U-17, Esposito was really sick throughout the tournament and shouldn't have played at all. It really amuses me how prominent prospects always fall in the rankings due to holes in their game that get blown out of proportion, and then others who play it safe or seem to possess that vaunted ''upside'' (which is really the erroneus assumption that size + decent skating ability at an early age= 1st line all-star) shoot up the rankings. I simply don't understand. Esposito has been lights out all year, he's exceeded all my expectations and is putting up Crosbyi numbers at the age of 16. I don't know what more he could have done to prove that he's the best prospect in North America his age. And don't give me the ''he plays wih Radulov'' bollocks, because seriously, at a 2 ppg clip, I think we can attribute those stats to his high skill level and chemistry with Radulov, and it's not like as if Raduov was Ovechkin either.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
RUSqueelin said:
good to see that some ex NHL canadian players move back to Canada to raise their sons so they to can be "Canadian".

I've haven't seen Gilles play yet but have heard some good things about him. Not sure why people get so ruffled about a draft that is a year in half away. There are probably a couple of players that we've never heard of that will end up in the top ten.

I find this post quite odd. Colton Gillies' father was not an nhl player nor lived outside of Canada.

If you're referring to Clark Gillies......he's Colton's second or third cousin or something like that. Certainly not his father.

I'd also echo what AG posted. The Blades are going to be losing a number of forwards next year. Gillies is going to be seeing a ton of ice time including penalty kill, powerplay and such.

Zetterberg4Captain*

El_Scoobo said:
I find this post quite odd. Colton Gillies' father was not an nhl player nor lived outside of Canada.

If you're referring to Clark Gillies......he's Colton's second or third cousin or something like that. Certainly not his father.

I'd also echo what AG posted. The Blades are going to be losing a number of forwards next year. Gillies is going to be seeing a ton of ice time including penalty kill, powerplay and such.

Personal Info: Is the nephew of former Islander and Regina Pat great Clarke Gillies...

http://www.saskatoonblades.ca/

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Are they Clark Gillies and Phil Esposito's sons?
Exact question I wanted to ask, but I would include Phil's brother Tony in there as well.

Well, are they? Bueller?

EDIT: Gillies has been answered.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Lou is God said:
Exact question I wanted to ask, but I would include Phil's brother Tony in there as well.

Well, are they? Bueller?

EDIT: Gillies has been answered.

There was an article in the local paper paper about Esposito the day after he arrived in Regina for the Under 17's that stated he is not related to the Esposito brothers.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Ry-Dogg said:
AND HOW BOUT THAT MARK KATIC... still no one knows who he is :(

ISS has Mark Katic ranked #3......apparently they know who he is! Do you think he should be #1?

I think they should start taking notice of Thomas Hickey, who is not ranked in the Top 5, but could be in the next year or so. He may not be as good as Katic right now though.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Hickey is ranked No. 20

HabLover said:
ISS has Mark Katic ranked #3......apparently they know who he is! Do you think he should be #1?

I think they should start taking notice of Thomas Hickey, who is not ranked in the Top 5, but could be in the next year or so. He may not be as good as Katic right now though.

ISS has Hickey ranked No. 20 for 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->