Gilbert Brule's potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I haven't seen him more than a few times on TV, but going back to last year I've always really like Brule and thought he had star potential. But then, I was sometimes reminded of Jamie Lundmark and Josh Holden, a couple of really flashy WHLers with some edge who I loved all to bits in their draft years too, and I guess people can wonder about where their careers have gone. So basically, we can't know. Brule is rated where he is for all the right reasons, but still anything can happen.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
The fact is, Brule is 3rd in WHL scoring as a 17-year-old. He was far and away the best player at the Prospect's Game - the biggest game of his life. All this kid has ever done, at any level, is be an impact scorer. I've said it in other boards, and I'll say it again: Brule will become the prototypical "small forward" in the NHL. He will be what injuries kept Saku Koivu from being. He is significantly better than any other player in the draft not named Sidney Crosby. Johnson's a respectable No. 3.

For a 17-year-old to make the WU20 team nowadays is next to impossible. The only 17 year old to make the team in the last three tournaments is Crosby. If several 17-year-olds made the team this year, that would be a cause for concern. But Sutter went with almost all 19-year-olds. Remember how strong the 2003 draft was for Canadian forwards? Not one 2003-eligible forward was on Team Canada at the 2003 WJCs in Halifax. (Which probably cost us the tourney, because Staal, Horton and a couple others would have made a world of difference). Brule will be there as an 18-year-old, he'll lead the Dub in scoring next year, and he'll be a franchise player in the NHL. (Better, IMO, than Malkin).
If injuries have taken a toll on Koivu then why wouldn't they take a toll on Brule? Who has alot less sense on when to use his body. If you could tell me he was Mark Recchi tough instead of Wendel Clark tough I would see him as a clear #2. If Johnson is as good as advertised (I haven't seen him play) I don't see Brule as such a clear #2 because his best years might only be a 2-3 year span. Like JR and Clark, Brule plays a very reckless game and I don't know if he can be as effective if he changes his style.

rebedom

Nov 27, 2003
Brule reminds me a bit like Marc Savard who had an exceptional junior career and not too bad of an NHL career so far (except for attitude and laziness). I still think size will matter in today's NHL as GMs continue to show favour for bigger players. I'm not saying it is right but it is happening, you may even see Brule slip pass the 5th spot. In last year's draft everyone in the top ten were over six feet, seems to be a trend.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Tb0ne said:
I wonder if Gilbert Brule and Sidney Crosby are done growing? (in height that is)

Crosby's been listed as 5'10 for the past couple of years now, though I wouldn't be worried about him, Brule seems to waver between 5'10-5'11, I dunno too much where he is now, my guess is that he's a shrink-grow man.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
To me Brule is a pretty safe pick at #2. He does have the upside to be a NHL allstar - he certainly has the shot, speed and atheleticism to improve beyond the player he is now - which is already a top 5 scorer in arguably Canada's toughest junior league at a very young age. He is also combative enough to fight through the inevitable checking he'll receive in the pros (although his composure is something he'll need to work on).

Even if he doesn't pan out to that level, he certainly seems like a Daymond Langkow-type player on the downside - which is an extremely valueable 20-30 goal scorer on a 2nd line. There is no shame in seeing a top 5 pick turn into a Langkow type.

He may not go #2 though. A team could like Johnson's upside more, and that wouldn't necessarily be a poor reflection on Brule. Ryan, Pouliot and a few other players also may intrigue another team enough for them to opt to pass on Brule in the top 5. In may just be a case like with FDW, where there head scout catches Brule on a few bad nights (and the other guys on a few good ones). If that's the case, it may end up being that team's loss.

And injuries are always a concern, but he seems have fought through them well enough. Crosby's been hurt several times this year as well, and I don't see people raising the injury red flag for him.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Dr.Sens(e) said:
And injuries are always a concern, but he seems have fought through them well enough. Crosby's been hurt several times this year as well, and I don't see people raising the injury red flag for him.

Very true, and it doesn't matter how big you are. Everyone's vulnerable with the crap that is allowed (read encouraged).

espo*

Dr.Sens(e) said:
To me Brule is a pretty safe pick at #2. He does have the upside to be a NHL allstar - he certainly has the shot, speed and atheleticism to improve beyond the player he is now - which is already a top 5 scorer in arguably Canada's toughest junior league at a very young age. He is also combative enough to fight through the inevitable checking he'll receive in the pros (although his composure is something he'll need to work on).

Even if he doesn't pan out to that level, he certainly seems like a Daymond Langkow-type player on the downside - which is an extremely valueable 20-30 goal scorer on a 2nd line. There is no shame in seeing a top 5 pick turn into a Langkow type.

He may not go #2 though. A team could like Johnson's upside more, and that wouldn't necessarily be a poor reflection on Brule. Ryan, Pouliot and a few other players also may intrigue another team enough for them to opt to pass on Brule in the top 5. In may just be a case like with FDW, where there head scout catches Brule on a few bad nights (and the other guys on a few good ones). If that's the case, it may end up being that team's loss.

Nice.....sober,rational post pointing out the realities of this game and the prospects who play it. More of this is needed if you ask me.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Greg7 said:
To the original question: after watching Brule over the past two years, and I think my opinion is as unbiased as it can be considering I'm a Giants fan, I think he will have trouble living up to the hype. I don't think he'll ever be a dominant player in the NHL, and I think his size WILL catch up to him. He has a great shot and excellent hand eye coordination, but I think his skating might be slightly overrated. He's a very good skater, but I don't know that he has top flight NHL speed, which I think he needs to be a great offensive player at the next level. His passing and vision are decent, but he's really a goalscorer. His grit and determination will take him a long way, I think, but not past a very good second line player who can do everything. 50-60 points a season (if scoring stays similar to now) in his prime would be a success if he can become the well rounded player I think he can.

Keep in mind that Brendan Morrison is a well-rounded player who has hit 70+ points in a season. I think it's pretty safe to say that Brule is much more gifted, and further developed at this age than Morrison was. Gil is also the same size right now as Morrison is at age 29.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
moster_bertuzzi said:
Keep in mind that Brendan Morrison is a well-rounded player who has hit 70+ points in a season. I think it's pretty safe to say that Brule is much more gifted, and further developed at this age than Morrison was. Gil is also the same size right now as Morrison is at age 29.
Brule's size is not the main reason why I think he won't dominate at the NHL level, although it is one reason, especially considering the style he plays (compared to Morrison who would be no better as a 6'3 player than a 5'11 player). Morrison is a totally different player than Brule; he has the top flight NHL speed I think Brule lacks, as well as better playmaking and vision. None of this is to say Brule won't become a great player, possibly as good or better than Morrison, I just don't think he will be a league leading scorer franchise player type. A two way very good second line/low end first line calibre centre who grinds, hits, checks, scores and does anything to win is still a great player.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Greg7 said:
Brule's size is not the main reason why I think he won't dominate at the NHL level, although it is one reason, especially considering the style he plays (compared to Morrison who would be no better as a 6'3 player than a 5'11 player). Morrison is a totally different player than Brule; he has the top flight NHL speed I think Brule lacks, as well as better playmaking and vision. None of this is to say Brule won't become a great player, possibly as good or better than Morrison, I just don't think he will be a league leading scorer franchise player type. A two way very good second line/low end first line calibre centre who grinds, hits, checks, scores and does anything to win is still a great player.

You're really selling Brule short. Morrison better playmaking and vision? If Morrison has such great vision as you claim he should be getting 60 assists a season playing with Naslund.

Bottom line is that Brule has all-star potential. Think Roenick of the eraly 90's...

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Leachmeister2000 said:
Crosby's been listed as 5'10 for the past couple of years now, though I wouldn't be worried about him, Brule seems to waver between 5'10-5'11, I dunno too much where he is now, my guess is that he's a shrink-grow man.

Crosby seems to be abit more mature physically than him (and well.... most people his age) and with NHL trainers Brule's strength and all that will increase. Still I'm not so sure either of them are done growing and that's especially true in Brule's case as he atleast doesn't appear to have done as much weight training as Crosby has. Such things aparantly can stunt your growth from what I have been told, but who knows? people say a lot of things.

P.S. I've been told Crosby's dad is 6'1, and I checked when he was drafted, it was at a hockey 6'0 (I'm guessing) at 18 according to the Internet Hockey Database.

Old Hickory

Tb0ne said:
Crosby seems to be abit more mature physically than him (and well.... most people his age) and with NHL trainers Brule's strength and all that will increase. Still I'm not so sure either of them are done growing and that's especially true in Brule's case as he atleast doesn't appear to have done as much weight training as Crosby has. Such things aparantly can stunt your growth from what I have been told, but who knows? people say a lot of things.

P.S. I've been told Crosby's dad is 6'1, and I checked when he was drafted, it was at a hockey 6'0 (I'm guessing) at 18 according to the Internet Hockey Database.
Something I figuered I'd throw in abut Crosby....
I interviewed Crosby and watched him really closely for a few hours in practice and scrimmage situations. The most impressive thing about Crosby is his mental maturity. He is more mature in his mid teens than move 28 year olds

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
A player with his sort of fame would have all sorts of expert nutritionists and trainers helping him reach that weight.

Althougth I know most or all were joking about the Steroids, if he did take them he'd more or less be done growing for sure, same goes for anyone really.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
monster_bertuzzi said:
Crosby must have taken growth supplements if he's 195.

You should be banned for this type of comment. A very sad comment that says a lot about you. I would hope the board moderators deal with this comment so that his agents do not have to. Slander anyone!!!!!!!!

Burberry Manning

Feb 27, 2002
Summit NJ-The Elite
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Not roids.....creatine.
I would hope he does use creatine or other supplements because they will only help him get stronger and in better physical shape. I don't know how popular muscle gainers and creatine are with hockey players but I know with other sports like football and baseball atleast 50%+ of high school guys use them.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
GUIDO OHASIS said:
i think brule is maybe a top 5 pick, he is lazy, has no hart, and skates kind of funny. if i were a gm i wouldn't take him over someone like ryan or zagrapan

This is silly, Everything I have heard says Brule is aggressive and full of heart. Most scouts see it that way too. What makes your comment valid?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Vinland said:
You should be banned for this type of comment. A very sad comment that says a lot about you. I would hope the board moderators deal with this comment so that his agents do not have to. Slander anyone!!!!!!!!
First, as pointed out above, creatine is legal.
Secondly, slander is spoken, and libel is printed. So it would be libel, not slander, if anything libelous was said, which it wasn't.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
From what I've seen of Brule(his good games) he has potential to be a Ciccerelli/Flurey type of player. That's pretty damn good if you ask me. Top two/three for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad