Gilbert Brule

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Thats it i have had it.

not directed at anyone in particular but how is Pouliot and to a lesser degree Ryan being ranked ahead of Brule so much?

Brule had a bad season injury wise but he fought threw them and put up more points than Pouliot and close to the same as Ryan (though playing 6 more games)

If no one has a problem with Crosby's size how is Brule's size such a big deal? I just don't get it. As for his PIM i did a partial break down. i stopped after january 31st

This is how his PIM breakdown:

September: 7 mins in 2 games

October: 40 mins in 11 games of which:
19 mins came vs EVT on Oct 8th
an additional 9 mins came on Oct 11th vs. PA

Novemeber: 43 mins in 14 games of which
8 were in a game vs. Letbridge

December: 24 mins in 8 games of which
16 mins came on Dec 11th vs. Kamloops

January: 28 mins in 15 games

Adding up the totals you can see he really racked up the majority over half of his pim in 2 months and then controlled himself. even further you can see his pim were really mostly from 4 games. those 4 games contribute about 25% of his total pims. and over the last 27 games of the season he had only 27 pim.

People love his Firey attitude but then they get turned off by his pim when all they need to do is look at the stats and see apart from 4 games he would have had a total of only 117 pims which is not far from what Pouliot put up.

Though Ryan only had 52 pims which is suprising really (figure he would have more) considering many people have called him a PF.

No one that i can see in this thread has mentioned this but Brules PIM should not show anything other than he can get heated at times but for the most part is a level headed player

Munchausen

Wild Thing said:
I don't understand why any GM would be worried about Brule's size - he's the same size as Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic. When's the last time you heard anyone call either one of those guys "small?"

It's not just about size, it's about size and style of play. Sakic and Yzerman don't play a reckless type of game like Brule does. His high energy and aggressive play, which is extremely fun to watch, is also what, IMO, will cause him to have injury plagued seasons throughout his NHL career. My bet is the concern about Brule among scouts is not so much as to whether or not he can make it to the NHL but if he can make it in one piece.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Munchausen said:
It's not just about size, it's about size and style of play. Sakic and Yzerman don't play a reckless type of game like Brule does. His high energy and aggressive play, which is extremely fun to watch, is also what, IMO, will cause him to have injury plagued seasons throughout his NHL career. My bet is the concern about Brule among scouts is not so much as to whether or not he can make it to the NHL but if he can make it in one piece.

Yeah, that's an excellent point. But I think he can be coached out of that habit. If I were a GM, I'd be willing to take a chance that my staff could rein him in, because the intensity and the will to win that lie behind that reckless playing style look to me to be worth it.

I'll be surprised if the guy makes it past Minnesota. Actually, I'll be surprised and a little bit disappointed if he makes it as far as Minnesota, but if he's still on the board at #4, I think he's our man.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
Philip J. Fry said:
I really hope he slips to the habs pick. We'll appreciate him that's for sure.

You bet. He could be a good long-term replacement for Koivu if he is to pan out. :yo:

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
Isn't that what coaching is for? I really, really doubt Brule would play as wreckless in the NHL as he does in juniors.

His play in junior is what the scouts base his ranking on. You can't raise his ranking based on an assumption or a hope that he will change his style of play once he breaks into the NHL.

If Brule gets drafted 5th overall, I won't even consider that as him slipping in the draft.

Sergei Zubov

Sep 23, 2003
Anyone else noticed the current poll on NHL.com?

"Who will be selected No. 2 overall?"
and the vote options are Pouliot, Ryan, Johnson, Kopitar, Hanzal..no Brule!

BCCHL inactive

He won't drop to 10, unless the Canucks offer the teams from 5-9 something (mid-late round pick) to stay away from Brule. The more likely scenario is Vancouver trading up to get him at 6-7.

The only thing wrong with the NHL.com poll is Hanzal being there. One of Johnson, Pouliot, Ryan or Kopitar will go 2nd. My money is on Jack Johnson.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Didn't he only come third in scoring in the Dub?

It's not even a high scoring league.

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:
It's not even a high scoring league.

That's because the WHL has better defence than the OHL and QMJHL. If Crosby was in the WHL, he would have gotten 2/3 the points, at best, that he did in the QMJHL.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Appreciate him maybe...

Philip J. Fry said:
I really hope he slips to the habs pick. We'll appreciate him that's for sure.

but pass on him you did... Nash Brule Zherdev.. that's a sick first line... We will have a definite advantage when it comes to shootouts as well. I love this pick...

Habstract0

Jul 18, 2005
Blew Smoke said:
but pass on him you did... Nash Brule Zherdev.. that's a sick first line... We will have a definite advantage when it comes to shootouts as well. I love this pick...

... Brule comes with the puck... and what a save by Price!!! (and the crowd goes crazy...)

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Van said:
That's because the WHL has better defence than the OHL and QMJHL. If Crosby was in the WHL, he would have gotten 2/3 the points, at best, that he did in the QMJHL.

The OHL had 5 d-men drafted in the first round. The WHL had 0. Don't be so quick to judge across leagues.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
Van said:
Gilbert, is that you?

Either that, or you're quite the dedicated season ticket holder.

Brule has fallen on pretty much every ranking list and mock draft because other than the Prospects Game, he didn't exactly have a good season. From what I saw of him, he buckled under the pressure of being "the man" in the WHL. He took quite a few stupid retaliatory and unsportsmanlike penalties at bad times, which showed his questionable attitude. Sometimes he acted as if opponents didn't have the right to even rub him off the puck.

If anybody does manage to swing a deal with Burke, it'll be to pick Johnson.

Van, what do you consider a player, let alone a 17rd old, having a good year. If finishing with 39 goals and third in WHL scoring means not having a good year, 99,9% of the WHL players had bad years I guess. He "buckled" under pressure and still put up great numbers. Hard to figure those comments out.

BCCHL inactive

TheFinalWord said:
The OHL had 5 d-men drafted in the first round. The WHL had 0. Don't be so quick to judge across leagues.

You're going to compare the leagues based on one draft year?

letterH said:
Van, what do you consider a player, let alone a 17rd old, having a good year. If finishing with 39 goals and third in WHL scoring means not having a good year, 99,9% of the WHL players had bad years I guess. He "buckled" under pressure and still put up great numbers. Hard to figure those comments out.

You obviously read this post and nothing else.

I have never called Brule's talent into question. I never said he put up horrible numbers. What I said, was that Brule didn't have a good season based on what the expectations of him were. Scoring a lot of points is only one part of your game. Tim Konsorada scored as many points, but does he have "NHL star" written all over him? No.

Other aspects of a player's game includes a good attitude, something of which Brule lacked on more than the rare occasion considering how he reacted at times just to taking a routine bodycheck.

Some people (mainly Giants fans) were wondering why Brule was no longer the consensus #2 to Sidney Crosby, and had even fallen out of the Top 5 in rankings. I simply gave them their answer.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
In my opinion (and this is only one man's opinion), I think Brule fell because he was the one prospect most closely compared to Crosby (because he was the most similar physically among the top guys). And that nasty under 6-0 height thing came back to bite another prospect in the you know where. I'm sure there was at least one team thinking something along the lines of "well if we're going to draft a guy under 6-0, he better be closer to Crosby". And that is a load of B.S.

What I don't understand about NHL organizations (and I guess I never will) is that they seek out forwards who play EXACTLY like Gilbert Brule for years. Then one comes along and they pass on him because of size concerns. And yet I'm sure there is some organization out there who will give Chris Gratton yet another chance to prove just how mediocre he really is. "Hmmm, maybe he's finally going to realize his potential...12 years later." All because of the size issue. It annoys me to no end.

If an NHL club could draft Doug Gilmour No. 1 overall...not the unproven junior back in 1981, but the finished product. If a team could draft what Doug Gilmour became, don't you think they'd jump at the chance? And yet teams continue to pass on players like Brule. And in my opinion, it's all about his tale of the tape, nothing more. The fear of injury should NOT be a valud excuse. Saku Koivu is no more injury-prone than Eric Lindros or Adam Deadmarsh. Dave Andreychuk is no more an ironman than Doug Jarvis was. A lot of this stuff has nothing to do with size, yet I think the stigma is still a major factor in scouting...even today.

All I know is that if I had the No. 2 pick in this year's draft, or if I had a chance to move up, the choice would have been between Brule (the second-best player in the draft IMHO) or Jack Johnson (the franchise defenseman and arguably No. 2 overall--3 on my list). That's it.

end of rant.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Van said:
You're going to compare the leagues based on one draft year?

You obviously read this post and nothing else.

I have never called Brule's talent into question. I never said he put up horrible numbers. What I said, was that Brule didn't have a good season based on what the expectations of him were. Scoring a lot of points is only one part of your game. Tim Konsorada scored as many points, but does he have "NHL star" written all over him? No.

Other aspects of a player's game includes a good attitude, something of which Brule lacked on more than the rare occasion considering how he reacted at times just to taking a routine bodycheck.

Some people (mainly Giants fans) were wondering why Brule was no longer the consensus #2 to Sidney Crosby, and had even fallen out of the Top 5 in rankings. I simply gave them their answer.

Tim Konsorada was a 21 year old that played with Fehr and Stone. Brule was a pup and he played with Bartley and Tim Kraus. I'll let you come to your own conclusion.

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
Tim Konsorada was a 21 year old that played with Fehr and Stone. Brule was a pup and he played with Bartley and Tim Kraus. I'll let you come to your own conclusion.

20 year-old.

If you want me to, I'll replace Konsorada with 17 year-old Colton Yellowhorn. Same story...one less point than Brule in 04/05. Scoring production is not everything when you judge a hockey player. Whether you like to admit it or not, Gilbert Brule had attitude problems at times this season. His own teammates sat him down in an attempt to straighten him out at one point during the season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Van said:
20 year-old.

If you want me to, I'll replace Konsorada with 17 year-old Colton Yellowhorn. Same story...one less point than Brule in 04/05. Scoring production is not everything when you judge a hockey player. Whether you like to admit it or not, Gilbert Brule had attitude problems at times this season. His own teammates sat him down in an attempt to straighten him out at one point during the season.

Kovalchuk too had a few 'questions' about his attitude. Some say he still does. Would you not have taken him first overall in his draft year? Attitudes can be adjusted (and should be adjusted), but can you adjust someone's talent level?

If Brule's WHL season as a 17-year-old was a 'disappointment' as many claim, then it's probably only because of how outstanding his rookie year as a 16-year-old was. So, I think a lot of teams "threw in the towel" a little too quickly with Brule in terms of his draft rating (and eventual draft selection at No. 6 overall). I'm sure you won't hear Doug MacLean complaining.

falcor

Jul 30, 2005
www.wetalk.tv
Konsorada and Brule are both CBJ prospects :)

Did anyone happen to see the smile on Doug MacLean's face after selecting Brule? Anyone happen to notice the smile Brule had as well? This is a good fit for the CBJ. We need skilled gritty center, and a little attitude could only be a plus at this point. Brule went through psych tests for us and needless to say, if he did poorly, I highly doubt Doug would have drafted him so happily. Relax..if he isn't playing for your team..why worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->