Gilbert Brule vs Andrei Kastitsyn

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I think Kastistsyn has a higher potential ceiling, but has less likelyhood of achieving it than Brule does of hitting his less lofty (but more complete) one. I'd take Brule, although you might take AK if looking for a potential offensive home run...

Bruinster*

Very easy, Brulé.

Some people want us to believe its close and talk about potential ceiling of Kostitsyn ? :biglaugh: The ceiling of Brulé is miles ahead of him.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Very easy, Brulé.

Some people want us to believe its close and talk about potential ceiling of Kostitsyn ? :biglaugh: The ceiling of Brulé is miles ahead of him.

I agree, I think even if Kostitsyn reaches his potential Brule will still be better.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I think Kastistsyn has a higher potential ceiling, but has less likelyhood of achieving it than Brule does of hitting his less lofty (but more complete) one. I'd take Brule, although you might take AK if looking for a potential offensive home run...

Well, you got that right...best post of the thread so far!

Kostitsyn is overrated by the Habs fan for sure, but he's also underated by the major part of the HF posters. If he reach his potential, he will be a star. Kost looks just like Kovalev. They can do the same thing on the ice...or almost! Will he make it...we have to wait and see, it's too early.

But right now, Brule for sure...

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
This from a bruins fan:shakehead

I'm a hab fan and I agree with him.

Come on, Brule is a lot better than Kost.

I'm tired of the overhyped of Kost. Yeah he's good, yeah he has an amazing potential, but come on!!!

we have fans overhype and criticize so much. one year ago it was all about Perezhogin, the new savior, and now most of the habs fan would be willing to trade perez for a 7th round pick just to make a spot on the roster for kost.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Kostitsyn's ceiling is pretty much Kovalev's talent, which is 60-70 points / season. So even at his best he'll never be has good as Brule. And with that being said, he'll never reach his ceiling either...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Next time you want a Hab prospect to actually win this kind of matchup on these boards, please compare 2 Habs prospects.....

Sure Brule seems to have an advantage so far, but the day people will realize how deadly Kostitsyn's arsenal of shots are and how tough on his skates the guy is, he might get some recognition.

But again, he didn't play in the NHL and Brule did, so he has the advantage. That's why I believe Mathieu Biron is a much better player than Luc Bourdon....:sarcasm:

Everybody knows where they are right now and sure Brule is superior AS OF NOW, but the thinking about a prospect is ceiling and that's where they should be compared. AS OF NOW, Brule kills Kosty, as far as ceiling goes, it certainly could be closer than in appears....

Last edited:

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Well, you got that right...best post of the thread so far!

Kostitsyn is overrated by the Habs fan for sure, but he's also underated by the major part of the HF posters. If he reach his potential, he will be a star. Kost looks just like Kovalev. They can do the same thing on the ice...or almost! Will he make it...we have to wait and see, it's too early.

But right now, Brule for sure...

Uh, Kostitsyn doesn't have anything that even remotely resembles the puck control that Kovalev has. They both have a pretty good shot, but other than that there is fairly little in common between the two.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Potentiel : Kostitsyn

Real : Brule
No Kostitsyn doesn't have the potential Brule does. Its as easy as that. Kostitsyn, best case scenario 2nd line winger, worse case (the more likely of the 2), he busts. I watched Kostitsyn last year and he was maybe the 4th or 5th best player on the Bulldogs last year. Jacques and Pouliot were hands down the best IMO. Brule has already had more success in the NHL, and he is 19, and has only played 7 total games of pro experience, where Kostitsyn has had 2 years of pro experience. I will say it now and I will say it again, Kostitsyn is nothing special, and won't ever be the player the Habs have hoped for. P.S, Talent Analysis, your probably the most biased fan on these boards, and you more than likely have only seen AK on t.v when he was with the Habs, he is just an enigma, Habs fans want him to be the ansewr sooo bad and they just can't live with the fact that he won't ever be the Superstar they hoped for.

CH Wizard

I still wonder why A.Kost was that HYPED.

Brule by a big margin. I like his game, he's fast, can hit and his wrister is indeed great. If he had size, he'd have been picked after Crosby.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
No Kostitsyn doesn't have the potential Brule does. Its as easy as that. Kostitsyn, best case scenario 2nd line winger, worse case (the more likely of the 2), he busts. I watched Kostitsyn last year and he was maybe the 4th or 5th best player on the Bulldogs last year. Jacques and Pouliot were hands down the best IMO. Brule has already had more success in the NHL, and he is 19, and has only played 7 total games of pro experience, where Kostitsyn has had 2 years of pro experience. I will say it now and I will say it again, Kostitsyn is nothing special, and won't ever be the player the Habs have hoped for. P.S, Talent Analysis, your probably the most biased fan on these boards, and you more than likely have only seen AK on t.v when he was with the Habs, he is just an enigma, Habs fans want him to be the ansewr sooo bad and they just can't live with the fact that he won't ever be the Superstar they hoped for.

It's God!!

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site

He was great with the Habs, but you probably didn't saw those games...

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Very easy, Brulé.

Brule's "ceiling" is a solid, buzzsaw like 2 Way Player that puts good points up on the board... like Darcy Tucker or Mike Peca with better offensive upside

Kostitsyn's upside is actually something similar to fellow Hab Alex Kovalev (though hopefully he'll be moulded to be more consistent).

The odds are much greater that Brule acutally reaches his full potential (Kostisyn definately has "bust" potential)... but I'd still say that Kostisyn has a higher ceiling. Because of this, I'll take Brule any day of the week.

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He was great with the Habs, but you probably didn't saw those games...
I don't even really understand this part of it either. I saw every second of every shift he played for the Habs, and it wasn't "great"ness that I saw. He was invisible a couple games, he barely stepped on the ice in others, and in a few games that he did get a regular shift he was pretty decent, got off some nice shots. But all in all, we're still talking about 12 games, averaging 7 mins or so per game. Using the word "great" is asking for trouble. He did ok. Those wide open games against New Jersey and Pittsburgh were probably his best. Most of his recall was also during our most horrid stretch of the season when we got shelled in several games, and he got a bit of "mop-up" icetime in those games after the team had already been blown out of the water.

Past that, I saw Kostitsyn around 10 times in the AHL, some live, some on TV. None of it convinces me that he's an elite prospect. He's worth hanging a bit of hope on for his skills, maybe he can one day crack a lineup as a 2nd line uni-dimensional offensive supporting player. That still seems pretty likely. But the odds on him hitting that homerun potential everybody talks about are really getting into the extreme longshot range, IMO. I mean, the league (and AHL) is dotted with players who have talent but maybe just not enough else to fit anywhere but in a 2nd line offense role, and then only if there isn't anybody else to choose from. Sejna, Zalesak, Shishkanov, I've had guys like that on my FHL rosters at times and for as much as they got flashes of hype, the end result thus far has been nada. I see Kostitsyn being more like those guys than like a truly elite prospect such as Brule. FWIW. :dunno:

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I still wonder why A.Kost was that HYPED.

Brule by a big margin. I like his game, he's fast, can hit and his wrister is indeed great. If he had size, he'd have been picked after Crosby.

He has played really well in the WJC several times but can never seem to put it together in pretty much any league during the season (this was true even in Europe so it's not an adjustment issue).

I can see Kost becoming a Naslund type player who finally puts it all together in his mid to late 20's. Brule barring injuries will break through in his early 20's.

While I agree that the players ceiling talent wise is close Brule is likely to reach it and Kost is at best 50%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad