Gilbert Brule vs Alex Bourret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
He won't make it though. Brule has more hype and will make it before Bourret who I think would be more effective on the 3rd/4th line.

Yeah, didn't want to imply he would make it. Just that he is eligible.

I doubt very much he will make it.

Stefan_Latulippe

Mar 9, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
He won't make it though. Brule has more hype and will make it before Bourret who I think would be more effective on the 3rd/4th line.

Thank you. Reading the comments about Bourret it seems like he is a very good hockey player. I hope he will be invited to the training camp at least. But we know why he wont make the team!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Based on his performance in the Russia games, I think Bourett might get an invite. He was very physical AND is a good skater, which is the type of player Sutter would have given instructions to invite. The fact he is Sutter's type of player leads me to believe Bourett has a bit better chance of making it, especially given the fact Bourett would fit in very well on a 4th line or as an extra skater. Actually, imagining he and Brule on the same line would be something.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
Yeah, didn't want to imply he would make it. Just that he is eligible.

I doubt very much he will make it.

I also would be extremely surprised if Bourret made it, but who knows, a Sutter is making the team so anything could happen, and Bourret is a Sutter-type of player. Honestly though, I doubt Bourret even gets invited to the tryout.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:

I'm curious why you think Bourret would be better than Brule on the 3rd/4th lines?

I'd say Brule would be a better fit on the 3rd or 4th line, although I'll admit I've never seen this Bourret kid play until these last couple days, just heard reports about him. Brule is quite the little agitator, is physical, and has loads of skill. He will produce no matter who is linemates are as anything is better than his Giants linemates. Either way, it's nice to have a kid like Bourret or Brule on the 4th line, they should feast on other team's 3rd pairings at the World Juniors.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I also would be extremely surprised if Bourret made it, but who knows, a Sutter is making the team so anything could happen, and Bourret is a Sutter-type of player. Honestly though, I doubt Bourret even gets invited to the tryout.

Supposedly the scouts for Team Canada are all attending the Russia games with the intent of evaluating who to invite, so given's Bourret's level of play in both games, I think he has a shot to get invited. When you think about it, he has the following going for him...
1/ He is one of the top scorers in the CHL this season.
2/ He is a great skater
3/ He is physical and could definitely play a roll on an energy line
4/ He is only 18, and could play next year as well.

The odds may still be against him getting invite given how crowded things are already, but I think he has a shot. On the same note, I would be stunned if Brule is not invited.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Koltsov said:
I'm curious why you think Bourret would be better than Brule on the 3rd/4th lines?

I'd say Brule would be a better fit on the 3rd or 4th line, although I'll admit I've never seen this Bourret kid play until these last couple days, just heard reports about him. Brule is quite the little agitator, is physical, and has loads of skill. He will produce no matter who is linemates are as anything is better than his Giants linemates. Either way, it's nice to have a kid like Bourret or Brule on the 4th line, they should feast on other team's 3rd pairings at the World Juniors.
Bourret has experience on the 3rd and 4th lines last year. I seen Brule once last year and allthough he is fairly physical his hitting doesn't hold a candle to Bourret.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Supposedly the scouts for Team Canada are all attending the Russia games with the intent of evaluating who to invite, so given's Bourret's level of play in both games, I think he has a shot to get invited. When you think about it, he has the following going for him...
1/ He is one of the top scorers in the CHL this season.
2/ He is a great skater
3/ He is physical and could definitely play a roll on an energy line
4/ He is only 18, and could play next year as well.

The odds may still be against him getting invite given how crowded things are already, but I think he has a shot. On the same note, I would be stunned if Brule is not invited.

I agree he SHOULD be there, but last I had heard they were only inviting 27 players to camp, and taking 22.

There will be three goalies at camp probably, so that basically means 24 skaters vying for 20 spots.

There are 12-13 returnees from last year, so that basically means there are what, 10 new invites? It's going to be awfully tough to get everyone there that deserves to be, that's just what I'm thinking. There is going to be one or two guys that don't even get an invite that some people maybe even have on their mock roster. That's just where I'm coming from by saying that.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Bourret has experience on the 3rd and 4th lines last year. I seen Brule once last year and allthough he is fairly physical his hitting doesn't hold a candle to Bourret.

I agree....Bourret is actually a perfect fit I think for a team like this in a 4th line capacity. He's basically a Jordin Tootoo with skill. He hits like a mack truck, he's a charging penalty waiting to happen, he gets under people's skin...the difference is that Bourret also is an amazing offensive talent.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

As usual.

Cut the childish comments, Vlad. I was simply pointing out how playing in the Q inflates your stats. :dunce:

As for Bourret, or ''Bure'' as Sportsnet called him - He's impressive, but damn is he ever short.

5'10''? Thats being generous.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
monster_bertuzzi said:
Cut the childish comments, Vlad. I was simply pointing out how playing in the Q inflates your stats. :dunce:

Two things here. First, bringing Simon Gamache in a thread regarding Alex Bourret was beyond useless. I couldn't think of two more different players with awfully different tools.

Secondly (off topic but since you brought it up), the Q doesn't inflate stats nearly as much as people make it out to be. Simon Gamache, much like other players in his mold, benefitted from playing against his peers (junior level players) at that level, that is all. The same could be said of Corey Locke and last time I checked, he doesn't play in the Q.

Countless players, some similar and some different than Gamache (like Steve Ott, who also had nice numbers in the CHL and never projected as a huge NHL scorer) get the numbers all across the CHL, not just the Q.

But more importantly, I don't think Alex Bourret has much in common with Gamache. They're both on the short side and both play in the Q but the comparison pretty much stops there.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Isn't this thread Bourret vs. Brule?

If Bourret scores 90-110 pts this year (which he's on pace for) in his draft year, he could go pretty darn high. I've seen him play a few times, most recently in the televised games of the QMJHL All Stars vs The Russian selects.

Bourret - I'm very impressed with the package. He's built like Jordin Tootoo. He has tremendous balance and either runs over guys or bounces off them. His shot is very strong and accurate. He also has awesome vision and can make really magical passes. By the time he's 21 he could be 6 feet and 240lbs with speed and skill to boot. I also like how he keeps his legs moving and works in the corners. He's just got to go top 10.

As for Brule I'd still bet he goes higher in the draft. He's been on scouts radars for quite some time and I bet they just love this guy.

I'm pretty sure the draft would be #1 Crosby, #2 Brule...then some combo of Kindl, Bourret, Johnson, Ryan, Latendresse... depending on teams needs. Either way, this draft looks deep.

Stefan_Latulippe

Mar 9, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:

So playing in the W and O would inflate the defensive numbers also? So +/- should be downsize, Save % and GAA as well. No?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
mazmin said:
Isn't this thread Bourret vs. Brule?

If Bourret scores 90-110 pts this year (which he's on pace for) in his draft year, he could go pretty darn high. I've seen him play a few times, most recently in the televised games of the QMJHL All Stars vs The Russian selects.

Bourret - I'm very impressed with the package. He's built like Jordin Tootoo. He has tremendous balance and either runs over guys or bounces off them. His shot is very strong and accurate. He also has awesome vision and can make really magical passes. By the time he's 21 he could be 6 feet and 240lbs with speed and skill to boot. I also like how he keeps his legs moving and works in the corners. He's just got to go top 10.

As for Brule I'd still bet he goes higher in the draft. He's been on scouts radars for quite some time and I bet they just love this guy.

I'm pretty sure the draft would be #1 Crosby, #2 Brule...then some combo of Kindl, Bourret, Johnson, Ryan, Latendresse... depending on teams needs. Either way, this draft looks deep.

I'll disagree with Bourret ever being 6 feet 240 lbs. He's 18, and he's only grown an inch since being drafted in first overall by Sherbrooke two and a half years ago. I think he'll top out at 5'10-5'11, 215-225 lbs which is still pretty damn thick if ye ask me. Brule will go higher in the draft.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:

As for Bourret, or ''Bure'' as Sportsnet called him - He's impressive, but damn is he ever short.

Well Bure was 5'10 the last time I checked and he did all right and Brule is what one inch taller and 30 lbs lighter?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
monster_bertuzzi said:

size doesn't matter when you are as thick as him, Gilbert Brule is listed as 5'11 on the Vancouver site but 5'10 on others but like someone else said Brule is 30 pounds less so I don't think you have any room to talk about short there as they are almost the same height.

How does the Q inflate their stats, seems like you are stuck in the stone ages and can't come out, look at the OHL they are scoring on par if not more than the QMJHL. Gone are the days of 180 point scorers and it has been like that for 2 years now.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Leachmeister2000 said:
I'll disagree with Bourret ever being 6 feet 240 lbs. He's 18, and he's only grown an inch since being drafted in first overall by Sherbrooke two and a half years ago. I think he'll top out at 5'10-5'11, 215-225 lbs which is still pretty damn thick if ye ask me. Brule will go higher in the draft.

I wasn't aware of his growth throughout the last few years but take into consideration that his growth plates shouldn't be completly ossified (hardened) until age 21, that's still 3 full years. Unless he has taken steroids, which speeds up bone ossification, it's not a stretch to grow a few inches. On the other hand, I agree with you, my predictions were very generous. 5-11, 220lbs is definitly big enough to hold your own in the NHL.

Since it seems like lots of people, including myself, are high on Bourret what type of effect will this have on a player like Latendresses' rank? A while back, before the Brule hype, he was thought to be next best to Crosby. Since then his stock went down as other players went up. His injuries have definitly affected his play this season as well. Behind guys like Crosby, Brule, Johnson, Ryan, Kindl, Berforgs, Bourret, Pouliot, Bertram...could he drop out of the top 10? Or is it more likely he will get healthy, pick up his play, and go ahead of at least half those guys? You gotta love his size but he wasn't special vs. The Russian Selects.

Prucha73

Is Bourret a winger or a center? He seems to take very few faceoffs. Is he weak on faceoffs? Is he similar to Brenden Morrow?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crosby
Dawes
Stewart
Getzlaf
Richards
Bergeron
Carter

7 of the top 9 forwards. Then you have 4 checking line players. Dixon and Colliton take up 2. That leaves 2 spots open for checkers.

Personally i think the QMJHL has players perfect for those roles. Steve Bernier, JF Jacaues, Alex Picard and Alex Bourret.

Problem is, i think Hockey Canada will go with a WHL or OHL player to fill a need as a checker.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Crosby
Dawes
Stewart
Getzlaf
Richards
Bergeron
Carter

7 of the top 9 forwards. Then you have 4 checking line players. Dixon and Colliton take up 2. That leaves 2 spots open for checkers.

Personally i think the QMJHL has players perfect for those roles. Steve Bernier, JF Jacaues, Alex Picard and Alex Bourret.

Problem is, i think Hockey Canada will go with a WHL or OHL player to fill a need as a checker.
Jacques not Jacaues hahaha nice try ;)

Last edited:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
mazmin said:
Since it seems like lots of people, including myself, are high on Bourret what type of effect will this have on a player like Latendresses' rank? A while back, before the Brule hype, he was thought to be next best to Crosby. Since then his stock went down as other players went up. His injuries have definitly affected his play this season as well. Behind guys like Crosby, Brule, Johnson, Ryan, Kindl, Berforgs, Bourret, Pouliot, Bertram...could he drop out of the top 10? Or is it more likely he will get healthy, pick up his play, and go ahead of at least half those guys? You gotta love his size but he wasn't special vs. The Russian Selects.

I was really dissapointed the three times I saw Latendresse this year. If I was a GM, I would not take him before the 2nd round. He could be a nice goon because he like to throw the body and he's built like a tank, but he's got only average speed, awful skating, plus zero, and I mean zero puck control. In the 2 games against Russia he maybe controlled the puck 10 seconds MAXIMUM.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
monster_bertuzzi said:
He didn;t really handle the puck properly on his shoot-out breakaway too.

But you stated above that Latendresse>Bourret. You are quite contradictory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad