Gilbert Brule vs Alex Bourret

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Reveille said:
It always looks like Bourret has some baby fat on him from pictures, but I'm sure he'll grow out of it. Most players do.

Rick Nash sure did.

I think Crosby and Brule are closer in status than Bourret and Brule.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
J17ster said:
IF there is a draft then Brule will probably go after Crosby.
Bourret will be top 15. Bourret is 5.10 and weighs 214lb while Brule is the same height but is skinnier (he is younger). Take into account that both a time to grow and bulk. Both are pretty offensively skilled. Neither will ever be great checkers. In opinion Brule will have the better NHL career as he is better all round player and is probably a safer pick to produce at the NHL level.
Brule has checking potential, along with star potential.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
monster_bertuzzi said:
Rare example..

Weak response...
when you just said "no 17yr-old can do it"

howabout trying...

"oops, I was wrong"... try it on... the rest of us think it looks like a good fit on you...

Prucha73

Matt MacInnis said:
But ultimately you are correct. Brule is the UNCONTESTED 2nd overall pick in this draft.

I don't know, it is still early, but his stats and size are not that great to be the UNCONTESTED 2nd overall pick. He could turn out to be like Jamie Lundmark--small/average size guy who was playing great physical and offensive game in WHL, but cannot get it done in NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
monster_bertuzzi said:
Simon Gamache

Nuff' said

What exactly do those two guys have in common? Gamache was a 170 lb rake with mediocre skating ability and little grit. Bourret is 214 lbs, is by all accounts a good skater, has an NHL shot, and loves physical play and hits like a truck.

My gut feeling right now is that Brule will slip from #2. Bourret and Bobby Ryan are huge talents, are outproducing Brule, and check in at 210 lbs+ each. It's a gamble to take a 180 lb guy at #2 overall when there's that sort of talent in the picks following, and I don't know if GMS will take the risk.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MS said:
What exactly do those two guys have in common? Gamache was a 170 lb rake with mediocre skating ability and little grit. Bourret is 214 lbs, is by all accounts a good skater, has an NHL shot, and loves physical play and hits like a truck.

My gut feeling right now is that Brule will slip from #2. Bourret and Bobby Ryan are huge talents, are outproducing Brule, and check in at 210 lbs+ each. It's a gamble to take a 180 lb guy at #2 overall when there's that sort of talent in the picks following, and I don't know if GMS will take the risk.

GM's have learned that just because a guy is 5'11'' 180 you dont take a guy that is 6'1'' 210 and of lesser talent just because of size. Unless of course we're talking about Bob Clarke.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
MS said:

brule will go #2 ..
but !!! the difference between him and #3 isnt as big as some may think !!!

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
brule will go #2 ..
but !!! the difference between him and #3 isnt as big as some may think !!!

And I still get a kick out of people critisizing Gilbert's stats. The guy has 11 goals and 18 assists in 21 games while battling a leg injury. And dont get me started about his linemates...

I get the feeling people are just looking at ways to bring him down, like many did to Crosby earlier on...

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
And I still get a kick out of people critisizing Gilbert's stats. The guy has 11 goals and 18 assists in 21 games while battling a leg injury. And dont get me started about his linemates...

I get the feeling people are just looking at ways to bring him down, like many did to Crosby earlier on...
I think Brule will turn great ...
but you just can't predict nothing in today NHL ...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Kryoptix said:
I think Brule will turn great ...
but you just can't predict nothing in today NHL ...
Another thing, Brule probably has a better shot than a lot of NHL players, and I am not exaggerating. He has a wicked, wicked release.

bruins4777*

The Q is such an easy league to score in compared to the WHL lets see crosby put up that kind of goal scoring ability in the WHL or even the OHL for that matter.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
bruins4777 said:
The Q is such an easy league to score in compared to the WHL lets see crosby put up that kind of goal scoring ability in the WHL or even the OHL for that matter.
Crosby would still dominate, but alot of other guys in the Q would not do nearly as good in the other leagues. Crosby is too good not to dominate at any league he is in.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
bruins4777 said:

Crosby is a rare case that he would still put up the #'s no matter what league he's in. Bourrett on the other hand...

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
that's BS !!!
actually i wouldn't be surprised to see him with more point the WHL or the OHL !
locke put better number in the OHL than crosby did in the Q .. does it means that he is better !!! NO !

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Crosby is a rare case that he would still put up the #'s no matter what league he's in. Bourrett on the other hand...
actually bourret is a Western type of player .. he play the physical game .. he's also a premium skater and a bit cocky(in a good way)...
he would still be considered a great prospect .. and It could also reflect in the NHL draft ... teams prefer to draft player from the WHL because usually they already play the physical,defensive game of the NHL ...
anyway we should stop compare apple and orange...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
monster_bertuzzi said:
GM's have learned that just because a guy is 5'11'' 180 you dont take a guy that is 6'1'' 210 and of lesser talent just because of size. Unless of course we're talking about Bob Clarke.

Is a Bobby Ryan really that much of a lesser talent than Brule? The guy is wasting the OHL right now and it seems to be pretty much a consensus that his skill package is absolutely sick for a guy with a 225 lb power-forward frame. You make it sound like these guys are Joe Lunchbucket types compared to Brule ...

Yeah, taking an average big player (say a Michael Blunden or Blair Jones) over a talented smaller player is suicide. But size is a huge advantage, and when skill levels are anywhere near comparable, the big player will win out most every time.

I'm not saying Ryan or Bourret will go ahead of Brule or not, or who will be the best player. I just haven't seen the other two guys enough. But given the size and production of the guys behind him, my gut says someone will pass him by the end of the year.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Fair points MS, although the skating of Brule versus Ryan more than makes up for the difference in size - especially given the way Brule plays.

But to your point, it wouldn't shock me to see Brule end up with some injury problems down the line given his frame and the way he plays. He seems like a more skilled version of Mike Fisher. As such, if he get's injured this year at any time, it may raise these questions to the forefront (he's already supposedly playing injured) and in that case, we may see him drop from #2 if one of the other top prospects raised their game to another level, especially in the WJC or the playoffs.

But other than that, I really think he's pretty safely in at #2 by a fair margin. Every publication and scouting report has him as the clear #2, which is pretty rare at this time of year. Assuming Brule stays healthy and puts up 90-100 points, I think he's a safe bet to be #2 regardless of whether Bourett or Ryan breach the 100 point barrier, or whether Johnson makes a splash at the WJC (or anyone else for that matter).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Fair points MS, although the skating of Brule versus Ryan more than makes up for the difference in size - especially given the way Brule plays.

But to your point, it wouldn't shock me to see Brule end up with some injury problems down the line given his frame and the way he plays. He seems like a more skilled version of Mike Fisher. As such, if he get's injured this year at any time, it may raise these questions to the forefront (he's already supposedly playing injured) and in that case, we may see him drop from #2 if one of the other top prospects raised their game to another level, especially in the WJC or the playoffs.

But other than that, I really think he's pretty safely in at #2 by a fair margin. Every publication and scouting report has him as the clear #2, which is pretty rare at this time of year. Assuming Brule stays healthy and puts up 90-100 points, I think he's a safe bet to be #2 regardless of whether Bourett or Ryan breach the 100 point barrier, or whether Johnson makes a splash at the WJC (or anyone else for that matter).

IMO the only player that can challenge Brule for #2 is Jack Johnson, and that would only be if the team that's drafting at 2 is in desperate need of a defenseman.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Matt MacInnis said:
I definitely agree Brule is far ahead of Bourret (who is still a mighty fine player, just that Brule is overshadowed by Crosby). However, the goal happy comment is decreasingly holding less and less water. The Q is not the wide open league it once was.

But ultimately you are correct. Brule is the UNCONTESTED 2nd overall pick in this draft.

Uncontested? Perhaps you've never heard of Jack Johnson my friend. If you're a Mckeens subscriber, read their reports on the recent u-18 tournament that the US team won. I think they ran out of adjectives to describe Johnsons stellar play. I'd put Brule ahead of Johnson right now, but it is conceivable that Johnson will overtake him by June(if we have a draft that is).

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
Uncontested? Perhaps you've never heard of Jack Johnson my friend. If you're a Mckeens subscriber, read their reports on the recent u-18 tournament that the US team won. I think they ran out of adjectives to describe Johnsons stellar play. I'd put Brule ahead of Johnson right now, but it is conceivable that Johnson will overtake him by June(if we have a draft that is).

I think you're talking about different things. On one hand, Brule is currently the uncontested #2 player in the draft. But there is also a long time to go, and several players do have a chance to pass him, including Johnson.

And it was a good report on Johnson. Interesting write-ups on Mercier, Stoa and Skille as well. All of them may get a bump up the draft list in the next couple of months.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I think you're talking about different things. On one hand, Brule is currently the uncontested #2 player in the draft. But there is also a long time to go, and several players do have a chance to pass him, including Johnson.

And it was a good report on Johnson. Interesting write-ups on Mercier, Stoa and Skille as well. All of them may get a bump up the draft list in the next couple of months.

Uncontested according to who? I realize he's favored at this point, but I haven't seen too many sources that label his placement at #2 as "uncontested."

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Uncontested according to who? I realize he's favored at this point, but I haven't seen too many sources that label his placement at #2 as "uncontested."

Well, uncontested in that McKeens, Redline and ISS all have Brule at #2, and all have stated he is the undisputed placeholder of the #2 spot behind Crosby in one way or another. To provide one quote, McKeens says he is "runner-up to Crosby and leading the race by a long shot". That could change, but as of now it is uncontested in that three publications that rarely agree on anything currently agree on two things. Crosby is #1, and Brule is #2. Similarly last year, the only thing they agreed on was Ovechkin and Malkin were 1-2.

Perhaps I should ask you - what evidence is there that Brule at #2 is highly contested?

Of note, Johnson is not #3 on any of those lists (ok, not yet anyway :) )

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
How many times do these numbers need to be brought about for peopel to stop thinking the QMJHL is all offense:

So far the OHL is scoring 6.4 goals per game (combined for both teams). The QMJHL is 6.2 and the WHL is 5.7

1 goal every 2 games the QMJHL scores more than the WHL.

----

Bourret is a great player, he is a safe player, he is well rounded, he has no weaknesses. He isnt as good as Brule but his point totals arent a "fluke"

Prucha73

La-La-Laprise said:
How many times do these numbers need to be brought about for peopel to stop thinking the QMJHL is all offense:

So far the OHL is scoring 6.4 goals per game (combined for both teams). The QMJHL is 6.2 and the WHL is 5.7

1 goal every 2 games the QMJHL scores more than the WHL.

----

Bourret is a great player, he is a safe player, he is well rounded, he has no weaknesses. He isnt as good as Brule but his point totals arent a "fluke"

That seems like a very small difference only 0.5 for both teams. How fast is Bourret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad