Gilbert Brule vs Alex Bourret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prucha73

How would you compare them? What are their current height and weight?

Who is better offensively, defensively, faceoffs, checking, etc. Who do you think will have a better career in NHL?

Who will be selected first in the draft?

Last edited by a moderator:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Prucha73 said:
How would you compare them? What are their current height and weight?

Who is better offensively, defensively, faceoffs, checking, etc. Who do you think will have a better career in NHL?

Who will be selected first in the draft?

IF there is a draft then Brule will probably go after Crosby.
Bourret will be top 15. Bourret is 5.10 and weighs 214lb while Brule is the same height but is skinnier (he is younger). Take into account that both a time to grow and bulk. Both are pretty offensively skilled. Neither will ever be great checkers. In opinion Brule will have the better NHL career as he is better all round player and is probably a safer pick to produce at the NHL level.

Prucha73

J17ster said:
IF there is a draft then Brule will probably go after Crosby.
Bourret will be top 15. Bourret is 5.10 and weighs 214lb while Brule is the same height but is skinnier (he is younger). Take into account that both a time to grow and bulk. Both are pretty offensively skilled. Neither will ever be great checkers. In opinion Brule will have the better NHL career as he is better all round player and is probably a safer pick to produce at the NHL level.

What makes Brule a consensus #2 while Bourret a top 15? And Brule is only 3 months younger. Is Bourret overweight or that is all muscle?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Prucha73 said:
What makes Brule a consensus #2 while Bourret a top 15? And Brule is only 3 months younger. Is Bourret overweight or that is all muscle?

Brule has been the consensus #2 for a long time. I also never said Bourret was overweight. All i did was compare Brule to Bourret.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Brule has the edge over Bourret at the moment albeit slightly. Brule's star is going down while Bourret's is skyrocketing, though I think Brule is better overall. They're both great skaters, tough as nails, great offensively and have a mean streak. Brule's shot is unbelievable though, something Bourret or anyone else doesn't have.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
How so?

Brule is 3rd in WHL scoring.

Well I wouldn't say it's dimming, but many onlookers were expecting him to lead the dub in scoring and by a large margin. Brule is one of my favourite players in the draft. There's no point challenging me.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
Well I wouldn't say it's dimming, but many onlookers were expecting him to lead the dub in scoring and by a large margin.

Who exactly was expecting this out of him? Jay Thompson?

No 17 year old can lead the WHL in scoring by a large amount, thats just reality.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:
How so?

Brule is 3rd in WHL scoring.

That's what I was thinking. He has 50% more points than his nearest teammate. His +/- is average for his team and he takes a lot of penalties but his offence is way up.

I hope he gets an invite to the WJC camp.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
That's what I was thinking. He has 50% more points than his nearest teammate. His +/- is average for his team and he takes a lot of penalties but his offence is way up.

I hope he gets an invite to the WJC camp.

He will.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
No 17 year old can lead the WHL in scoring by a large amount, thats just reality.

How about Pavel Brendl? 134 points as a 17 year old. Next highest scorer was Brad Moran at 118.

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
For Bourret, I think he has some baby fat, because I remenber when he has been drafted in the Q 1st overall pick 3 years ago he was 15 and weight near 200 pounds that seem a lot for a 15 years old who just height 5-10.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Crosbyfan said:
he takes a lot of penalties but his offence is way up.

How so? This isn't the case with Brule. Although not a goon, obviously, he gets into his fair share of fights and instances of "mutual" roughing penalties. 5 PIMS once every few games adds up and makes the average internet "stat bookie" jump to conclusions.

Which is even scarier because the time he spends in the box could make his point totals escalate.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Balej's Dance said:
How so? This isn't the case with Brule. Although not a goon, obviously, he gets into his fair share of fights and instances of "mutual" roughing penalties. 5 PIMS once every few games adds up and makes the average internet "stat bookie" jump to conclusions.

Which is even scarier because the time he spends in the box could make his point totals escalate.

He takes a "fair amount" of penalties. Is that better, or are they all roughing and fights?

Prucha73

I am really interested in this Bourret kid, he is probably the next best thing after Crosby in terms of top line offensive/playmaking center--just the thing that Rangers need the most. And if he can play with that weight, then he will likely be able to play in NHL soon without being easily knocked off the puck. Hopefully he is not anything like that fat and lazy Pavel Brendl.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
One observation I have made about Brule that worries me slightly is he seems to get an inordinate proportion of his points on the powerplay. He's still very good even strength, but I'd like to see him produce a bit more 5 on 5. Better linemates than a leech in Tim Kraus, a struggling Mitch Bartley, a goon in Triston Grant and a lazy underproducing overager in Ty Morris (these are the guys he's played with for the most part) would probably help in this regard, but it's still something to look at.

I would also disagree that Brule wouldn't make a good NHL checker; on the contrary, I think part of what makes him a great prospect is that if he for some reason doesn't reach his offensive potential, he has a solid fallback option as a good 3rd line player. He's physical, he skates very well, and he has the right competitive spirit and attitude to be a checker. Don't know about Bourret.

Most of Brule's PIMS ARE roughing/fighting/misconducts resulting from fights, but I think it's fair to say that he gets himself in the box a bit too much, regardless of what it's for. But hey, if you want that combination of competitiveness, toughness and a bit of mean streak, you're gonna get some penalties with it. The tradeoff is worth it if you ask me.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
I am really interested in this Bourret kid, he is probably the next best thing after Crosby in terms of top line offensive/playmaking center.

Find me ANYONE in this draft not named Sid who has more offensive potential than Gilbert. Sorry, 2 months of an offensive barrage from Bourret in the goal-happy QMJHL doesn't change anything...

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
Rare example..

Exactly, and look at where it got him. Gilbert, even if he doesn't put up Brendl type numbers in the Dub, has got the mental makeup to be a great NHLer.

Prucha73

monster_bertuzzi said:
Find me ANYONE in this draft not named Sid who has more offensive potential than Gilbert. Sorry, 2 months of an offensive barrage from Bourret in the goal-happy QMJHL doesn't change anything...

so you think Bourret is just on a hot streak and his production will go down? What if he continues to score at this pace?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:

I definitely agree Brule is far ahead of Bourret (who is still a mighty fine player, just that Brule is overshadowed by Crosby). However, the goal happy comment is decreasingly holding less and less water. The Q is not the wide open league it once was.

But ultimately you are correct. Brule is the UNCONTESTED 2nd overall pick in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad