Gif Request: McLaren waving the white flag

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
And I mean really, the Leafs have the second highest penalty minute total in the NHL. Maybe they should drop a few goons and stop running people from behind.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Have you ever played hockey before? Do you not realize that during a hit, your arm comes up? Pause the frame to when Lupul is beside Sedin. Is there any chance of head contact? No. The arm isn't above Sedins' shoulder.

"Pause the frame." Yeah, we're done here.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Also, just to conveniently locate them all in this thread, I'll steal this one from the PGT.

m7h51.jpg

He looks like he got shot. 7/10 on the dive.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
A shift of Sedinery or a Daniel dropping the mitts the next time a Marchand tries to use him as a human punching bag will be a Hell of a lot more "inspiring" ... well, as long as he doesn't get KTFO, but just hanging on for dear life and falling down after throwing a couple of punches would be sufficient to prove a point like what Kessel did with Burrows.

People seriously have to let it go. The amount of people that use that ONE example to show how soft and weak the Sedins are is ridiculous. We've seen the Sedins both sticking up for eachother and themselves multiple times since then. Only a few games ago, everyone was shocked that Daniel actually looked like he was ready to go in St Louis! How quickly we forget when we have an agenda, I guess.

Daniel and Marchand wasn't about being weak, soft, or scared. It had to do with Vigneault and his idea of "turn the cheek, and burn them on the powerplay".
Daniel was simply making it blatantly obvious that a penalty needed to be called. Looking at the ref as it happened. Honestly it showed a ton of restraint, and leadership to stick with the gameplan and team mantra in spite of eating multiple punches. If you told Daniel, "no penalties. Protect yourself", he'd have manhandled that little turd with no difficulty whatsoever.

Betamax*

There's literally no way that's how the story would have gone. Why are you still concerned with this incident?

Because it is topical as we had the Leafs' star sniper, a top player in the NHL decide to drop the gloves against an agitator that's still a very good player in his own right.

Did you look down on Kessel droping the gloves (i.e. you felt it was a dumb move) or did you give him props for "manning' up?

I give kudos to Kessel for having the ball to stick up for himself!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That's because of Lupul's ridiculously bad timing. There's a reason he missed Henrik and hit his own player. That doesn't change the fact he stuck his elbow out in an attempt to hit Henrik.

There's also a difference between raising your arm and sticking out your elbow.

Let's get real here. Try raising your arm without your elbow coming out during a hit, unless you're raising it vertically, it's going to come out.. If you're raising your arms vertically during an attempt to hit, you shouldn't be in the NHL. Also, he didn't even elbow Kadri. Kadri was further to the right than Sedin and Kadri was hit with his arm/forearm. Kadri was not elbowed.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Because it is topical as we had the Leafs' star sniper, a top player in the NHL decide to drop the gloves against an agitator that's still a very good player in his own right.

Did you look down on Kessel droping the gloves (i.e. you felt it was a dumb move) or did you give him props for "manning' up?

I give kudos to Kessel for having the ball to stick up for himself!

You would. I was happy to have him off the ice for 5 minutes.

He deserves no kudos. His team lost because they were undisciplined and frustrated and Kessel losing his **** against Burrows set the tone for it.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Let's get real here. Try raising your arm without your elbow coming out during a hit, unless you're raising it vertically, it's going to come out.. If you're raising your arms vertically during an attempt to hit, you shouldn't be in the NHL. Also, he didn't even elbow Kadri. Kadri was further to the right than Sedin and Kadri was hit with his arm/forearm. Kadri was not elbowed.

Man, how can you blindly ignore that.

He didn't have the body position to check Sedin properly so he threw is leg and arm out in an attempt to clip him. You even admit he hit the Toronto player's head with his forearm. Why is his forearm at head level? That's not a proper check.

It's especially weak considering Lupul's concussion history.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
That elbow by Lupul should at least be a fine, but it's well established that suspension length = how bad the play looks visually multiplied by severity of an injury, divided by the star power of the offender. Intent doesn't even factor into the NHL's calculations.

How was that manning up? He took himself off the ice for five minutes, and nothing even happened in the fight - Burrows took him straight to the ground.

Literally the season before Marchand incident, Daniel "manned up" against Bolland and retaliated against the liberties that were being taken against him. The narrative for that year was how the Sedins were thrown off their game and lost their composure...

I always find this argument funny because the reverse had just happened. Selective memories...

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
I can't believe people use that Marchand thing as evidence to trash Daniel. Of the 3 people involved, by far the biggest embarrassment is the referee.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

delusional

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011

And the fact that he was sticking out his right knee was purely coincidental as well, right?

Betamax*

I can't believe people use that Marchand thing as evidence to trash Daniel. Of the 3 people involved, by far the biggest embarrassment is the referee.

How many years have you been following the Canucks? Linden was "trashed" or rather criticized by many Canucks Supporters when he had his moment of being ragdolled by Claude Lemieux during a brawl.

That happened once, and for the rest of his career, Linden didn't let history repeat itself. Hell, in future years, he even went toe to toe with Rob Ray.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
How many years have you been following the Canucks? Linden was "trashed" or rather criticized by many Canucks Supporters when he had his moment of being ragdolled by Claude Lemieux during a brawl.

That happened once, and for the rest of his career, Linden didn't let history repeat itself. Hell, in future years, he even went toe to toe with Rob Ray.

Sedins tried that in their playoff exits vs the Hawks. And if you remember, people criticised them for lacking composure.

Edit: Here you go.
VANCOUVER -- Any time Daniel Sedin is going to the penalty box twice in a 48-second span, something is extremely wrong in the world of the Vancouver Canucks.

After making sure to turn the other cheek in the first two games of their series against the Chicago Blackhawks, the Canucks spent a better part of Games 3 and 4 at GM Place losing their discipline and taking ill-advised penalties. It resulted in two lopsided losses and now the Canucks are in a 3-1 series hole heading back to Chicago for a must-win Game 5 Sunday (8 p.m. ET, VERSUS, CBC, RDS).

Sedin took 28 penalty minutes in 63 regular-season games. In the last two playoff games, he's taken three costly minors. The two he took in Game 4 led directly to Chicago goals and put the Canucks in a deficit from which there was no escape.

"I don’t know if I lost my composure," said Sedin, who most definitely lost his composure when he tried to fight Dave Bolland at the start of a Canucks power play in Game 3. "First one, I took (Brent) Seabrook to the net and he fell down. I don’t what happened there.

"The second penalty, I shouldn't put myself in that situation, but my stick is broken and (Kris Versteeg) runs into me. It cost us the game."

Goaltender Roberto Luongo, who got away with a trip of Blackhawks big man Dustin Byfuglien in the first period Friday, was at a loss to explain the change in attitude for the Canucks over the past two games.

"We lost our composure again," Luongo said. "I don’t know why it happened. We were all on the same page before the game started, and I don’t know. One thing led to another, and we lost our composure again."

It's one thing to take a lot of senseless penalties when you're penalty-killing units are getting the job done. But when you're killing power plays at a League-low 65 percent clip, all those penalties become season killers. The Canucks have allowed 17 power-play goals in 48 chances, and seven power-play goals to the Blackhawks in four games.

"Your best penalty kill is discipline," said Ryan Johnson, who was on the ice for three of the Blackhawks' four power-play goals in Game 4. “We wanted them to try and be the better individuals, and us be the better team.

"Right now, we’re just feeding right into their game plan."

The Blackhawks are hardly taking any joy in -- or credit for -- the mental breakdowns with the Canucks.

"Over and over I'm being asked about that, and why they're doing certain things, but that's not really our concern," Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews said. "Our concern is what they're best players can do in our zone and we don't want to let them do those things. We want to focus on our game."

If the Canucks are to erase this deficit, something needs to change. Personnel? Strategy? Coach Alain Vigneault sounds like he's willing to employ just about any tactic he can.

"At the end of the day, you've got to trust your players are going to do the right thing at the right time, they're going to make the right plays," Vigneault said. "Take the hits for the benefit of their teammates and the fans, you trust they're going to do that.

"Obviously tonight we didn't."

And if they don't start doing that Sunday night, this series could be over.

Ill even post the clip for you.
http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=68695

Last edited:

Betamax*

Sedins tried that in their playoff exits vs the Hawks. And if you remember, people criticised them for lacking composure.

No ... IIRC, I believe it was taking retaliatory penalties. In other words, different circumstances, by not dropping the gloves when you were being used as a punching bag with the game was already decided. Check the time and score of the game when the Daniel Sedin and Marchand incident took place.

yapperface

Bo Knows
Jan 22, 2010
British Columbia
No ... IIRC, I believe it was taking retaliatory penalties. In other words, different circumstances, by not dropping the gloves when you were being used as a punching bag with the game was already decided. Check the time and score of the game when the Daniel Sedin and Marchand incident took place.

I always saw it as a stand. He showed how much of a complete joke the officiating was in that series. The Bruins got away with absolutely whatever they wanted and the series was handed to them.

Calculated move. Like Gillis calling out the refs before game 7 of the Chicago series. Who knows, maybe if less than half of the team was injured it might have worked.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC

No one can credibly say that Daniel Sedin was "rag-dolled". A few chicken hearted attempts at an actual punch made by a garden gnome do not constitute "speed-bagging". Retaliating would have and drawn the same criticism he got from the Bolland incident and he knew the ref was right there and reasonably expected to draw a penalty.

It astonishes me that this gets still gets brought up.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

Twice.

Back when Keith Tkachuk wasn't a walking advertisment for the need for "Jenny Craig", in his Winnipeg Jets days; Tkachuk was really working over Linden in a scrum. Linden just stood there and took it (it was rather embarrassing). It took Momesso to come in to "rescue him".

Last edited:

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I always saw it as a stand. He showed how much of a complete joke the officiating was in that series. The Bruins got away with absolutely whatever they wanted and the series was handed to them.

Calculated move. Like Gillis calling out the refs before game 7 of the Chicago series. Who knows, maybe if less than half of the team was injured it might have worked.

Exactly!!!!

Non-fans have always used the incident as their soap box to show what wimps the Sedins are. It's so so sad to see supposed supporters of the team forgetting what actually happened and repeating that same rhetoric to show all that is supposedly wrong with our team.

As has been said. That incident should be more embarrassing to the ref, and the NHL. But it's degraded to being nothing more than justification for bashing the Sedins.
Blame Vigneault for having the Canucks still taking that type of abuse when the whistles were in the refs pockets, before you blame the players for obeying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->