Gibson vs Hart

Who will be the better goalie? Gibson or Hart?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Why would Hart need 3 seasons of Vezina worthy hockey before we can compare them? I mean, Vezina voting is pretty random but I wouldn't use that as the measuring stick considering Gibson has 4 total Vezina votes in his career. Hart and Gibson's numbers last season were almost identical, I would think that would mean more than subjective voting.
Last year Gibson was on a historically bad team the comparison of last year shouldn’t be held in the arena of comparative seasons

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
gonna go with hart. he is already starting in the NHL, 2 months after turning 21. Gibson wasnt the clear #1 until he was 23

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Kucherov vs Kakko/Lafreniere/winger prospect when?

Seriously though, it’s Gibson and not close until hart proves otherwise

Reactions: Dmang714

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
You never know but the safe bet is Gibson. He's already arguably the best goalie in the league.
I don't even think it's really arguable at the moment.

It's Gibson right now, Hart has that potential though, we'll see how things go in the future. This poll isn't answerable right now as it's asking who "will be".

Last edited:

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Also from last season Gibson had a starter workload of 58 games to Hart backup workload of 31 games.
Hart was never really the backup, though. He started 31 games, but he was only called up for the 32nd game of the season, and 31/50 games started would work out to about 50 or 51 starts over a full season.

Still a slightly lesser rate of starts than Gibson, but I'd argue the team in front of Hart was worse defensively than what Gibson had to deal with, who got worse offensive support. They put up almost identical GAA and SV%, so it's tough to say one outperformed the other in the opportunities they had last season.

Gibson is the safer bet for now, but Hart's one of the few who has the potential to be even better going forward. It will be really fun to see how it all plays out... as a Flyers fan, it's odd to be supporting a goalie with legitimate Vezina hopes, and I am just happy that he is even in the conversation.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
gonna go with hart. he is already starting in the NHL, 2 months after turning 21. Gibson wasnt the clear #1 until he was 23
He beat out a past his prime elliot?

Meanwhile at 22 gibson was stealing the job from andersen.

There is a little more context to this type of arguement. Ducks had 2 potential future vezina goalies close in age, andersen was a little bit older, so got the first look but eventually lost the spot to gibson.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Gotta be Gibson. He's more established, he's only 26, and he's locked up on a sweetheart contract for basically the rest of his prime.

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
I’ll take Hart because Gibson isn’t going to go very far with that team while he’s in his prime.
This is about being a better goaltender, not about being in a better team. So if you were to build a team and you had to choose between the two which one would you choose? Based on your logic you would take Bozak over Mcdavid because he had a better team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'll say Gibson, but the way the question is phrased makes it close. I think the upside is very similar. Neither are going to be the best goalie in the NHL during their generation. I don't think either has that level of upside in a generation that has a clear top talent, but both should be top 3-5 goalies in the NHL for 10 years, and maybe they pick off a Vezina or two.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
This is about being a better goaltender, not about being in a better team. So if you were to build a team and you had to choose between the two which one would you choose? Based on your logic you would take Bozak over Mcdavid because he had a better team.

Clearly you didn’t read as we already had this discussion and I said a goalies personal success is much more predicated on the team rather than that of a forward.

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
Clearly you didn’t read as we already had this discussion and I said a goalies personal success is much more predicated on the team rather than that of a forward.
In a poll asking who is better the team doesn't matter, it's about their skill as a goaltender. Do you think Osgood was better than Hasek in the 90s?

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
In a poll asking who is better the team doesn't matter, it's about their skill as a goaltender. Do you think Osgood was better than Hasek in the 90s?

Horrible comparison. What did Osgood beat Hasek statistically once?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'll say Gibson, but the way the question is phrased makes it close. I think the upside is very similar. Neither are going to be the best goalie in the NHL during their generation. I don't think either has that level of upside in a generation that has a clear top talent, but both should be top 3-5 goalies in the NHL for 10 years, and maybe they pick off a Vezina or two.

Who is the clear top talent? You could make a case for Gibson being the best in the league over the past 3 seasons

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The way some people are talking about Gibson in here you'd think he's in his mid 30's, not a few months after his 26th birthday. He's only just entering his prime, and has been an outstanding goaltender for several seasons now and forced a very good goaltender out of Anaheim in Andersen (granted financials was also a factor). No doubt that Hart looks promising, but he has a ways to go to be considered alongside the likes of Gibson.

In an alternate universe Gibson plays in a big east coast market and some people realise just how good he is.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'll go with the one who had the best sv% for goalies with 100 games (or more) over the previous 3 seasons. So Gibson.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Vasilevskiy.

Gibson is interchangeable though? Any differences that you see are probably best explained by one playing for one of the strongest teams of this generation.

If you're going to argue hardware, then it's one of the greatest crimes in award history that Gibson didn't even receive votes in '17-18.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gibson is interchangeable though? Any differences that you see are probably best explained by one playing for one of the strongest teams of this generation.

If you're going to argue hardware, then it's one of the greatest crimes in award history that Gibson didn't even receive votes in '17-18.

I wouldn't say its interchangeable. Gibson is good, but Vasilevskiy won the Vezina at age 24, and he's improved every season of his career into the clear best goalie in the NHL. Going into his draft, he was a generational goalie prospect, and has played as one in his first couple of years in the NHL.

Craig Custance recently surveyed GM's and coaches about the 31 starting goalies in the NHL. He used a formula to account for all their responses, and Vasilevskiy was ranked 1st by a long way using the formula that he did.

If you have a subscription, here was the article. 2019-20 Goalie Tiers: Anonymous panel of GMs and coaches...

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I wouldn't say its interchangeable. Gibson is good, but Vasilevskiy won the Vezina at age 24, and he's improved every season of his career into the clear best goalie in the NHL. Going into his draft, he was a generational goalie prospect, and has played as one in his first couple of years in the NHL.

Craig Custance recently surveyed GM's and coaches about the 31 starting goalies in the NHL. He used a formula to account for all their responses, and Vasilevskiy was ranked 1st by a long way using the formula that he did.

If you have a subscription, here was the article. 2019-20 Goalie Tiers: Anonymous panel of GMs and coaches...

Let's assume that he is; by what basis does that give credence to someone effectively saying that he will be the best for the entirety of Gibson and Hart's careers?

If I had a sub I'd be able to take a crack at picking that apart but sadly I don't. I'd have to figure that GM's are just as susceptible to bias as anyone else and that an historic season from the Lightning benefited Vasi in that regard whereas someone like Gibson was unnoticed out in the West trying to hold together an injured and failing team.

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Carter, they've put up very similar numbers last year and this year with Hart being 21 with a sky high ceiling. There's not a Goalie in the league I'd take over Hart going forward right now.

Reactions: Hustlr

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He beat out a past his prime elliot?

Meanwhile at 22 gibson was stealing the job from andersen.

There is a little more context to this type of arguement. Ducks had 2 potential future vezina goalies close in age, andersen was a little bit older, so got the first look but eventually lost the spot to gibson.
Gibson didn't start until 23.... Carter will be a 3 year starter by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->