Movies: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2020)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah Ghostbusters the movie legit creeped me out as a kid. I remember being kind of confused/upset that the movie wasn't like the cartoon I loved so much.

It wasn't until I watched the movie in its entirety fairly recently (like 4 or 5 year ago) that I really gained an appreciation for it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah Ghostbusters the movie legit creeped me out as a kid. I remember being kind of confused/upset that the movie wasn't like the cartoon I loved so much.

It wasn't until I watched the movie in its entirety fairly recently (like 4 or 5 year ago) that I really gained an appreciation for it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The tricky thing with Ghostbusters is that the original was a lot darker and more serious than people tend to remember. It was a product of the early 80s, in which many films, like Gremlins, Poltergeist and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, were rated PG and targeted at all age groups, but were relatively scary and sinister. We sometimes think of Ghostbusters as a lighthearted comedy, but it really wasn't at all. It's likely that no sequel will ever really compare to it because a film like that won't be made again. Even by the end of the decade, Hollywood had already changed and "lightened up," which is why Ghostbusters II and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (both 1989 releases) were lighter in mood than their predecessors.

Since Ghostbusters will never be duplicated, it's tricky to make a sequel because it's going to feel different and, thus, disappointing. One of Ghostbusters II's problems is that it felt different than the original. The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, as fun as it was, also felt different because it was very lighthearted. The 2016 "remake" had the same problem. The best that you can do is identify as many original elements that worked, that fans remember fondly and that will still play nowadays and hope that fans are OK with the necessary differences. So far, nothing has exactly pulled that off, which is why it's a franchise that has always struggled to live up to itself.

Yeah, I always like the aesthetic of movies in the 80s when it comes to darker films. I honestly have always thought the lack of HD and really crisp footage also helps movies like these too, to piggyback on what you said. I feel like it adds to the whole experience. It's one reason why I enjoyed It Follows so much, they made it kinda grainy and a more old school aesthetic.

Reactions: Pilky01 and Tuggy
Sep 19, 2008
Ghostbusters 1 was on Amazon Prime and I had never seen it so I decided to download it a few months ago to my tablet. Pretty good film. Be curious to see how they expand the series with 3.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw Ghostbusters in the theater and the scene with the librarian scared the living crap out of me as a kid.

Yeah, I believe that I saw it in the the theater, as well. That librarian scene would not have been out of place in a legit horror movie. Back then, it was seemingly OK to terrify kids just so long as they had "parental guidance" while they were being scarred for life.

One of my secrets is that I've never been as enamored with the movie as I've wanted to be, just because it was so dark and disturbing. I can't watch it over and over again like I can with, say, Stripes or Three Amigos, because I usually don't want to deal with all of the darkness and seriousness when I'm after some laughs. Ever since being a kid, I've liked most things about it--the characters, the premise, the equipment, the music, the jokes and so on--so, I love the idea of Ghostbusters, but the actual original movie has been harder for me to love. That's probably why I really liked the cartoon (which had all of those things and none of the mature elements) and even liked the sequel a little more than most people did. I still like the original movie, but I've always felt guilty that I should like it even more, as many other people do, especially since it's from my era.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
After trying to revive it with a really unfunny ghostbusters 2016, its time to really stop trying to revive or reboot old classics, and the first ghostbusters is a classic movie.

Plus the whole, oh noes they're fighting an evil corporation. Come on man, every movie has that. Be original and have them fight PETA or the SPCA.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Plus the whole, oh noes they're fighting an evil corporation. Come on man, every movie has that. Be original and have them fight PETA or the SPCA.

I think that that tweet about the villain being an evil corporation that's bringing the dead back to life was a joke savaging Hollywood studios for rebooting old classics. Don't worry; I fell for it and went half a day thinking that it was the actual plot, myself.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah, I always like the aesthetic of movies in the 80s when it comes to darker films. I honestly have always thought the lack of HD and really crisp footage also helps movies like these too, to piggyback on what you said. I feel like it adds to the whole experience. It's one reason why I enjoyed It Follows so much, they made it kinda grainy and a more old school aesthetic.
Yeah, HD doesn't really add a lot but it takes a lot away.

Reactions: Tuggy

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
HD is great for sports and videogames. Not so great for film.

agreed.

I find HD more times than not takes away from the cinematography choices the director made. format, aspect ratio, lighting, etc are all deliberately chosen by the director and HD washes a lot of that out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I didn't like the 2016 film, but I don't think it was awful. It was a Paul Feig movie more than anything, and I think it was just something that was out of his wheelhouse. I wouldn't mind seeing another movie with that cast but with a different director/writer.

With this, I'm curious. I hope the Ecto being in some old barn somewhere is actually part of the movie, like maybe the world decided they shouldn't mess with the tech after blaming the Ghostbusters for having a hand in causing Sta-Puff to come around and squash some churches in NYC. I don't know.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I've been skeptical out of fear that the younger Reitman might be in it to put his name on his father's series and take it forward, but it sounds like he may want to take it backward and honor its legacy, which is good to hear. Also, it looks like Ivan Reitman is still alive, so I assume that he's given his blessing and will be available for Jason to consult with. I'm still not sure about this film, but at least that quote is a little bit of reassurance.

It's funny how some people still don't understand what the backlash was about because they insist on applying their own agenda and assuming the worst in people.

The backlash wasn't about there being women in it. It was about rebooting the series, having practically no one from the production of the original series involved, having no story connection to the original series, co-opting series trademarks like the Hearst and the fire department building and calling it simply "Ghostbusters." It was viewed as a typical Hollywood attempt to cash in on a popular series without much mind paid to honoring it or fan sensitivity to remakes of classics. The backlash would've been similar with a male cast. An all-female cast Ghostbusters movie could've been received a lot better if it had been conceived and marketed a lot more intelligently--ex. by making the women the daughters of the original cast, having more of that original cast, making it less of a comedy and calling it something other than just "Ghostbusters." They didn't do that, though, probably because they don't care and it's so much easier to just blame backlash on the bigotry of the audience than on your own mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessavyfav

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can we please just stop trying to make Ghostbusters a thing? They got it right once in a lightning in a bottle moment. The second one was as bad as the reboot.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I've gone the other way. I now enjoy the fact that Ghostbusters has become the most ridiculous political/cultural touchstone of our time. :rolleyes:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That comment seemed like it was just a PR move, like "don't worry fans, we won't RUIN YOUR CHILDHOOD with this new one, I promise." Of course he isn't actually giving the fans any creative license for the movie. How would that even work?

And yes, the initial backlash to the film having women in it was ridiculous, there was a lot of stupid responses to the film from butthurt fans when the movie did come out, and the movie was mediocre and not memorable at all.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
God forbid you say anything bad about a movie with women in it.

Not to bring this up again, but the reason I disliked The Last Jedi has nothing to do with the women characters and everything to do with most of the rest of the movie.

Much of the debate about Star Wars the last few years has been about Rian Johnson's second entry into the new trilogy, The Last Jedi. If you ask critics, the movie was a triumph, a much needed leap in the storytelling we typically get from Star Wars films. Depending what fans you ask, it either "supported a white genocide" or it simply destroyed their childhood and everything they hold dear. Throughout it all, Johnson has spent an entire year fighting with fans online—whom he calls "manbabies"—and defending his film from trolls.

As massive franchises attempt to diversify their lead characters, racist and sexist trolls will push back through any means possible.

Rian Johnson New Star Wars Trilogy Controversy - The Director Dispels Rumors About His New Series

I just hate being lobbed into the incel group because I don't like a film.

Wonder Woman was great.

Ghostbusters Reboot was so-so. I liked Chris Hemsworth, but ironically he's the guy in the film.

Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy are great, but as leads, they have to dial it down too much and it doesn't play to their strengths. Meanwhile, I think Kate McKinnon is fantastic but she was wasted in this film, hamming it up too much. Leslie Jones only has one note - loud - and it's only good in small doses.

It just wasn't written well for them.

At the same time, as I said elsewhere, the reliance on CGI ruins the movie because it dispels the "struggling business" narrative and replaces it with Men In Black type overload of visuals.

Black Panther was fun but hardly revelatory as a film, more in terms of its financial windfall and African-American production. I'd put it on par with Wonder Woman and most of the other decent MCU films out there.

The Last Jedi was just bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
When I read his comments on the "manbabies" I don't read it as him calling out everyone who didn't like the movie.

I think people get way too wrapped up in thinking that comments directed at a toxic section of a community are also directed at them just because they are also critical.

The problem is with minority/LGBT/female leads there is very likely going to be a toxic subset of people who will trash the movie and poison the well from the get-go, and you kind of have to address that in some capacity.

Reactions: Winger98

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When I read his comments on the "manbabies" I don't read it as him calling out everyone who didn't like the movie.

I think people get way too wrapped up in thinking that comments directed at a toxic section of a community are also directed at them just because they are also critical.

The problem is with minority/LGBT/female leads there is very likely going to be a toxic subset of people who will trash the movie and poison the well from the get-go, and you kind of have to address that in some capacity.

I suppose that's fair.

But deciding that Jason Reitman is sexist because he's "handing the movie back to the fans" and boycotting his film is a disappointing trend.

The assumption is that his comment relates to the fact that it has female leads as opposed to that it wasn't really in keeping with the feel of the original.

It wasn't the cast that "stole the movie" but rather the writer and director, who ironically is a man. (along with Katie Dippold)

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I suppose that's fair.

But deciding that Jason Reitman is sexist because he's "handing the movie back to the fans" and boycotting his film is a disappointing trend.

The assumption is that his comment relates to the fact that it has female leads as opposed to that it wasn't really in keeping with the feel of the original.

It wasn't the cast that "stole the movie" but rather the writer and director, who ironically is a man.
I would agree it is disappointing, though I am not convinced it would be a trend. The number of "activist" type people who would spend the time to actively boycott such a film has to be incredibly small. Maybe the followers of those people might, but I don't see it being that much of an issue. Boycotters rarely actually provoke meaningful change when it comes to movies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would agree it is disappointing, though I am not convinced it would be a trend. The number of "activist" type people who would spend the time to actively boycott such a film has to be incredibly small. Maybe the followers of those people might, but I don't see it being that much of an issue. Boycotters rarely actually provoke meaningful change when it comes to movies.

Well, it definitely attracts attention.

Controversial statements generate the most shares and comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArGarBarGar

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Really not sure if Ghostbusters needs to be revisisted. Still, Jason Reitman has some good work under his belt and I think he has the right idea here. His seemingly PR driven statement actually has a nuanced nugget of truth, one in which his detractors may have overlooked.

Will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad