News Article: Getzlaf nominated for NHL Messier leadership award

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Other 2 nominees are Dustin ''the clean'' Brown and Jonathan ''Mr. Universe'' Toews.

Messier award is awarded for the greatest leaders in the league and 3 finalists and the winner is named by Messier itself.

Read more: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=717060&navid=nhl:topheads
More about the award: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Messier_Leadership_Award

GO GETZY!

getz2.jpg

Getzlaf.JPG

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It`s a ******** Getzy isn`t nominated for Vezina too. NHL should let him win at least this award

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
a few yrs ago, I wasn't impressed with Getz' apparent leadership qualities.. but I have to say, ( and from what I can gather from a fan's perspective) he has developed into the role very nicely.

and yeah, Brown? WTF? teaching the whole team how to cheapshot and dive shouldn't be considered a good leadership quality.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Isn't this award given strictly by Messier? That is, he picks the winner himself and the league has nothing to do with it? Or maybe the league comes up with the nominees, but Mess picks the winner based on who he wants to win? I think?

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I've never understood the hype on Dustin Brown as a leader. I mean he's not the kind of guy who puts a team on his back like Getzlaf and Toews do. He doesn't strike me a real rah-rah, rally the troops kind of captain either. I mean he plays hard every shift. But the fact that Kings fans have been really frustrated with him over the last two seasons makes this nomination really puzzling.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
I've never understood the hype on Dustin Brown as a leader. I mean he's not the kind of guy who puts a team on his back like Getzlaf and Toews do. He doesn't strike me a real rah-rah, rally the troops kind of captain either. I mean he plays hard every shift. But the fact that Kings fans have been really frustrated with him over the last two seasons makes this nomination really puzzling.

Even more puzzling, this is his 3rd straight year being nominated.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Yeah, it's kind of meaningless. It's basically the, "who Mess likes on the day he casts his vote" award.

How do they even have "Nominees"? Isn't it just one vote? So does Mess just say, "I like these three guys, but this one guy is the best." I don't get it. I think they should just not have nominees, and just announce the winner. Don't try to dress it up like it's a competition. Two of those guys don't have a chance to win. They're an illusion for an award that's in the hands of the third player.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, it's kind of meaningless. It's basically the, "who Mess likes on the day he casts his vote" award.

How do they even have "Nominees"? Isn't it just one vote? So does Mess just say, "I like these three guys, but this one guy is the best." I don't get it. I think they should just not have nominees, and just announce the winner. Don't try to dress it up like it's a competition. Two of those guys don't have a chance to win. They're an illusion for an award that's in the hands of the third player.

You realize the NHL awards are no different don't you? The voting is done and the top three vote getters are announced as nominees even though the league already knows who won.

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012

I imagine Messier picked him because Brown is literally Messier without the talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad