Getzlaf hit on Virtanen

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Really people calling that dirty, or accidentally on purpose..... getzlaf isn't the best actor. Does everyone forget that time getzlaf tried to accidently purposely sell that trip and looked super awkward doing it?

+ getzlaf has never been a player that is trying to intentionally hurt someone, he plays hard a bit rough at times but not dirty, too many cry babies that got dominated by him throughout his career honestly.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Really people calling that dirty, or accidentally on purpose..... getzlaf isn't the best actor. Does everyone forget that time getzlaf tried to accidently purposely sell that trip and looked super awkward doing it?

+ getzlaf has never been a player that is trying to intentionally hurt someone, he plays hard a bit rough at times but not dirty, too many cry babies that got dominated by him throughout his career honestly.

I had no idea there were so many NHL players in this thread.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
-I think he was trying to set a pick, expecting Virts to see him, and move. When he never saw him, and didn't move, it was like woops now what do I do? ---Puhleez, Getz isn't dirty, and you'd be hard pressed to even find division foes insinuating it.
-Virts hit on Perry was a great play. Perrs was setting up his stick his but out, and back into the front of the net for a shot play. Virts has obviously seen it before, and made the perfect play.

Getzlaf's a dirty punk *****, so I hope he gets some level of punishment here.
Please show me anywhere that another NHL player has called him dirty? Punk??? He fought the biggest player on their team over it. You may want to look up what punk means.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't like Getzlaf at all, and I'm pretty sure that was accidental. He sees him at the last second, and the flail on his part looks pretty authentic to me.

Hope Virtanen is okay though.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dirty, but like others are saying, im not so sure if its intentional or not.

Virtanen doesnt at all have the puck or is even close to having the puck, which is why im leaning towards it being accidental. Players, for the most part, arent stupid enough to go after players who dont have the puck

how can it be dirty and unintentional

Reactions: Spazkat

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
-I think he was trying to set a pick, expecting Virts to see him, and move. When he never saw him, and didn't move, it was like woops now what do I do? ---Puhleez, Getz isn't dirty, and you'd be hard pressed to even find division foes insinuating it.
-Virts hit on Perry was a great play. Perrs was setting up his stick his but out, and back into the front of the net for a shot play. Virts has obviously seen it before, and made the perfect play.

Please show me anywhere that another NHL player has called him dirty? Punk??? He fought the biggest player on their team over it. You may want to look up what punk means.

He's a dirty punk, and yes you may want to check what it means yourself. Facing off against a slug like Gudbranson won't change that.

His hit against Virtanen was intentional due to the Perry altercation earlier.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
I'm pretty sure if Getzlaf actually wanted to hit him he wouldn't have fallen over considering how much bigger he is than Virtanen. He deserved the 2 minutes, but saying this is intentional is a stretch.

What a ridiculous response, even considering the homerism involved. Im not gonna say that he did or didnt do it on purpose but saying, its a "stretch" is the most homerific thing ive read in a long time. It was quiet obvious an illegal check and it very well could have been easily seen as intentional. As others have posted, "accidentally on purpose" which really looks like it COULD be the case. To completely dismiss the fact that is COULD be intentional is akin to sticking your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
He's a dirty punk, and yes you may want to check what it means yourself. Facing off against a slug like Gudbranson won't change that.

His hit against Virtanen was intentional due to the Perry altercation earlier.
In the 50's it may have been an unruly teenager. When I grew up, if someone called you a punk, it meant you were a coward who wouldn't man up, but still talked mad smack. Pretty sure that's how any hockey player would term it as well, but they call em rats instead. Getzlaf isn't a rat.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This is a tough one, he sees Virtanen the whole way but Virtanen doesn't. His body language and facial reaction suggests that it was accidental tho, tough to say.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In the 50's it may have been an unruly teenager. When I grew up, if someone called you a punk, it meant you were a coward who wouldn't man up, but still talked mad smack. Pretty sure that's how any hockey player would term it as well, but they call em rats instead. Getzlaf isn't a rat.

Nah Getzlaf isn't a coward, but when I refer to him as a punk, I mean in a way that he's a troublemaker or hooligan of a player.

I still remember his dirty hit against Hamhuis back in 2011.

Reactions: Daz28

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
kesler took liberties with fragile pettersson so leivo fought kesler
virtanen took liberties with perry, who is also considered fragile as just back from injury
virtanen doesn't fight so getzlaf gave him a blindside as payback. it was intentional and dirty but also intentionally not a full on wipe out. more of a wake up.
but virtanen hurt his shoulder and left the game for about 10 minutes plus an intermission.
because of that, gudbranson squared the circle fighting getzlaf

so all good.

ironically, i think virtanen's shoulder issues led to his shoulder getting hurt. they have not really arisen for a couple of years but i think they prevent him from scrapping which is what led to him getting popped like that.

Reactions: Daz28

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
kesler took liberties with fragile pettersson so leivo fought kesler
virtanen took liberties with perry, who is also considered fragile as just back from injury
virtanen doesn't fight so getzlaf gave him a blindside as payback. it was intentional and dirty but also intentionally not a full on wipe out. more of a wake up.
but virtanen hurt his shoulder and left the game for about 10 minutes plus an intermission.
because of that, gudbranson squared the circle fighting getzlaf

so all good.

ironically, i think virtanen's shoulder issues led to his shoulder getting hurt. they have not really arisen for a couple of years but i think they prevent him from scrapping which is what led to him getting popped like that.

What did Kesler do to Pettersson exactly? oh yeah that's right, he grabbed his jersey in a scrum because he's too slow to catch him in the game with his old geezer body and broken hip. :)

Kesler should just retire and stop embarrassing himself. Could say the same for Perry too.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Nah Getzlaf isn't a coward, but when I refer to him as a punk, I mean in a way that he's a troublemaker or hooligan of a player.

So in a nutshell you still hold a crudge against Getzlaf for a hit almost a decade ago where Hamhuis turned his back on Getzlaf and got injured in the process and that's why you called him names that don't apply to him.

Reactions: gunnergunther

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

The Getz fly by butt check behind the net was deadly and notorious. Hammy kind of turned his body after the follow through, and it was kind of unfortunate. The reason I can get behind guys like Getz, Perry, and Kes is because they throw the body around. It's gonna lead to some unfortunate incidents, but they always answer the bell when need be.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'd say it's dirty. Blindside hits are always dirty. Getzlaf was definitely targeting Virtanen. Most likely for the dirty play he made on Perry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad