Getzlaf and Ladd

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I thought that Ladd and Getzlaf would be dominating the WHL this year, but instead they really seem to be struggling.

Is Getzlaf uninspired out there because he should be in the NHL right now?

Was Ladd worth taking top 5 in the draft?

Anyone who follows the WHL and the Hitmen please fill me in, thanks!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I haven't seen any of the games, just listened to a few of them.

I really am impressed with what I've heard about Getzlaf. The only thing is, the C was taken off of him recently. I don't know if it's just a shake-up to get the team going again, or if Getzlaf has been that bad of a leader in the locker room, or if his recent rise in PIMs and talking back to the refs has got him in trouble with the coach... Hopefully someone else would know.

The duo definitely creates chances. They also seem to be pretty reliable defensively. They don't seem to be the type to make pretty plays, but I wouldn't be discouraged by that.

As for whether or not Ladd should have been taken when he was taken... I honestly can't say. I do feel comfortable knowing Pushkarev is developing along with them, if that means anything though :)

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
yes age is the reason....

i myself would like to find out more about the hitmen also..... konstantin pushkarev (kings prospect) has been pretty solid for them this year almost averaging a point per game, can anyone tell me how he's been adjusting to the NA game? is he playing with one of ladd or getzlaf? i know that those 2 were together before, but every box score i check lately has getzlaf and ladd with more PIM and few points

Prucha73

yeah, sorry, for some reason I thought he had a 1984 birthday.

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
ladd and getzlaf

Getzlaf has been playing lazy hockey this year. I'm glad they took the C from him because IMO he doesnt seem to have very good leadership skills. Sadly, he reminds me of Rob Niedermayer.

However, I like Ladd's game alot and think he was worth the 4th pick in the draft.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Im the opposite to RCGP, Ive been to two Hitmen games this year as I live in Calgary and have seen Getzlaf play live like 5-6 times in my life and Ladd twice. From what Ive seen of Ladd either the draft was really weak for him to go 4th overall or he shouldnt have gone 4th overall. I dont see what scouts see in him as a scoring forward. He doesnt have all that much skill. He works pretty hard and has some decent shots but I think his ceiling is 2nd liner. As for Getzlaf I think hes got alot more skill than people think and IMO has been playing decently this year. Yes he is lazy, Ive only ever seen him turn on the jets once and it was for like 1 second and then he gave up... I dont know why he gave up either cause had he kept it up on that particular play he coulda gone right around the defender for a partial break.... Im going to the Hitmen game against Saskatoon in two Sundays from today so I'll get another view. Im more going to scout setoguchi, Green, Rabbit and a couple other younger guys but I always like to watch Ladd Pushkarev Rogers, Schultz, Carson, Getzlaf so I'll see what I can pick out of the game. As for Pushkarev, he is a hell of alot more fesity than I thought he was gonna be for a Euro, Ive seen him plant himself in front of the net as a small player on probably 3 different occasions. I have said it in previous posts that I think he'll be a poor mans samsonov, he has some skills but he seems to get nailed 1-2 times every game, either he skates with his head down too much or just skates to the wrong spots but Ive seen him get absolutly punished on probably 4 occasions in the 2 games Ive seen him play. He has offence though, not a sharp shooter but can get into positions where he has a scoring chance, we'll see how his finishing is from there though, so far about 20% which isnt bad.

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
I've seen about 10 Hitman games this season., and about 40 over the last two. I'm not sure what's up with Getzlaf. First of all I'd like to say that I'm a huge fan of his, he's got the size and I can't believe when some people say he doesn't have the skill necessary to score at the next level, cause he's honestly the most ultraskilled, confident, smart forward I've seen play in the WHL over the last couple seasons. That said he does seem a bit lazier and almost 'uninterested' this season, compared to last. He also seems to have taken a step back in maturity. He recieved 3 10-minute misconducts in the three games previous to losin his captaincy for mouthin off the ref, and seems to take a cheap shot like a brutul cross-check or slash at someone each game. My guess is that he probably is in fact disappointed not be playing at the next level, which he definitely should be doing, because whenever he gets it in his mind to dominate he can do just that, and i still will be shocked if he's not a second line center, or better. With Ladd, I think Carolina screwed up on draft day. He's a gritty hard working guy, who's responsible defensively and can definitely finish with an accurate hard wrist shot, but I've seen no evidence that he could ever play on a scoring line in the NHL. Especially when he plays next to Getzlaf this can be evident. With him a see more of a third line winger, who at even strength and on the penalty kill, teams will have to be wary of because with his finishing skill he can still burn them. Pushkarev I've been really impressed with this season, he's fast, has a great first step often beating people to the puck, good hands though tends to overhandle at times, good passer, decent shot, smaller- but fiesty and works hard. I'm not sure that big NHL dmen couldn't push him around... I'll need see more of him to form a solid opinion on him though. Anyway that's my opinion on the three- for what its worth.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
ive heard a couple people say the canes were wrong to take ladd so high. were there any players without out a doubt better? does ladd not at least look to be a solid third liner? i know its hard to take a possible third liner so high, but with such a thin top level in this past draft, i dont see the problem. it seems to me that ladd will definitely play, its just a matter of what line. the canes need definite players - not big question marks. there will probably be a few guys who outscore him that were drafted after him - but im sure he'll prove his all around worth. i just dont see how it could be such a big mistake.

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
I've also been to about 10 games this year.

Ladd can be a 2nd liner IMO. I think Getzlaf benefits more from Ladd than the other way around, since Ladd is the one that does all the work.

Getzlaf does have skill, but as I said previously, his lazy play reminds me of Rob Niedermayer post 96 Panthers and Flames. He does have more potential than Ladd, but that means nothing if you can't get up for the game.

I think both can be good players, but with Ladd you know what your getting.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Flamesfaithful said:
I've seen about 10 Hitman games this season., and about 40 over the last two. I'm not sure what's up with Getzlaf. First of all I'd like to say that I'm a huge fan of his, he's got the size and I can't believe when some people say he doesn't have the skill necessary to score at the next level, cause he's honestly the most ultraskilled, confident, smart forward I've seen play in the WHL over the last couple seasons. That said he does seem a bit lazier and almost 'uninterested' this season, compared to last. He also seems to have taken a step back in maturity. He recieved 3 10-minute misconducts in the three games previous to losin his captaincy for mouthin off the ref, and seems to take a cheap shot like a brutul cross-check or slash at someone each game. My guess is that he probably is in fact disappointed not be playing at the next level, which he definitely should be doing, because whenever he gets it in his mind to dominate he can do just that, and i still will be shocked if he's not a second line center, or better. With Ladd, I think Carolina screwed up on draft day. He's a gritty hard working guy, who's responsible defensively and can definitely finish with an accurate hard wrist shot, but I've seen no evidence that he could ever play on a scoring line in the NHL. Especially when he plays next to Getzlaf this can be evident. With him a see more of a third line winger, who at even strength and on the penalty kill, teams will have to be wary of because with his finishing skill he can still burn them. Pushkarev I've been really impressed with this season, he's fast, has a great first step often beating people to the puck, good hands though tends to overhandle at times, good passer, decent shot, smaller- but fiesty and works hard. I'm not sure that big NHL dmen couldn't push him around... I'll need see more of him to form a solid opinion on him though. Anyway that's my opinion on the three- for what its worth.

I always had that opinion on Ladd. Glad to see I wasn't wrong.

Chipchura > Ladd.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I guess its up in the air as to where Ladd will fit in, I agree he will be anywhere from 2nd liner to 4th liner, no higher. Those of you who havent seen him will get a chance when they play russia. Hes nothing spectacular. Im on the same wave length as Flamesfaithful, I used to hate Getzlaf as a Hitmen fan but now Im starting to like him, he definately has some sort of chip on his shoulder or something though. Even at Canada training camp in the summer he was beaking at all the guys there. I like his skill, though I fear he could turn into a pest in the NHL with some skill. I have seen him dominate games as well and would be surprised if he doesnt get 2nd liner minutes in Anaheim at least to see what he does with it. He could easilly make it there.

Chris

Oct 24, 2004
King'sPawn said:
his recent rise in PIMs and talking back to the refs has got him in trouble with the coach...
Damn straight. Getzlaf is Kisio's supremely talented whipping boy. He gets benched for spells at a time because he takes inopportune penalties and mouths off to the referees as a result. He often sits out third periods.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't think Getzlaf is just a lazy player, but he may feel he should be in the NHL this season, and he should be. Last year I saw him play hard, especially in the WJCs, but he seems uninterested in the Dub this year. He'll be in the A soon enough(May, I believe), so he'll probably turn up his play around then. I always thought he was a good leader, and taking misconducts for yelling at refs doesn't always show bad leadership, but I guess he isn't the leader I thought he was.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Hercules Rockefeller said:
but I guess he isn't the leader I thought he was.

To me I saw true leadership in him at the Rookie Tournament in Anaheim in September, but I'm disapointed to hear about his problems with Calgary this season.

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
McDonald19 said:
To me I saw true leadership in him at the Rookie Tournament in Anaheim in September, but I'm disapointed to hear about his problems with Calgary this season.

Once again, I wouldn't worry about him, the tools are still there, his mind just isn't completely this season. In past season he has been a good leader, it's just this season (in which i think he's disappointed not to be playing NHL hockey), that he's kinda been uninterested, and being kind of a punk a times. Obviously it'd be better if he could have played up to his potential in the WHL, but I really do feel strongly that if you threw him into a higher level, he would respond. If I was an Anahiem fan, I'd still be very very excited.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
RCGP said:
Getzlaf has been playing lazy hockey this year. I'm glad they took the C from him because IMO he doesnt seem to have very good leadership skills. Sadly, he reminds me of Rob Niedermayer.

However, I like Ladd's game alot and think he was worth the 4th pick in the draft.
Sadly? I'd be shocked if Getzlaf turned out to be half the player Rob Niedermayer was in his first 3 seasons. Had he not been injured, he would've IMO been a player who finishes with top 15 points in the league. He was a beast especially in 1996. Too bad for injuries though. He used to be my favorite player untill he started playing soft with FLA.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
So i guess since everyone basically agrees that Ryan is slacking off b/c he beleives he shoudl be in the NHL. If this is true than that just shows that there is a real lack of maturity and shows that there is a major flaw in his character. Obviously if he feels he is to good to be in the WHL and thinks that he is so good that he doesn't even have to try b/c once the season is over he will be in the NHL or worse the AHL. I think it shows a real lack of proffesionalism in him and that is something i would definatly be worried about if I were a Ducks fan. What happens if the Ducks have a couple bad season is Ryan gonna start to think he deserves to be on a contender only b/c he is so good? What happens if he gets into a fight with the coach is he gonna stop playing hard for the Ducks as its very apparent this guy isn't really self motivated/comptetitive for the right reason. Yes its great to have the goal of getting to the NHL as what motivates you but man alittle good ole self motivation or basic competitiveness would be nice to hear about. I dont understand why Getzlaf wouldn't be pumped up about trying his best to increase to win a championship or some CHL awards while he spends his final season in the WHL.

From what i have heard in this thread it sounds like he has an attitude problem possibly from buying into his own hype.

As for Ladd. I personally dont care if he's the type of player that starts plays or finishes them. As long as he good at either of them. Would be best if he was really good at both but some players just arent good at both. Every playmaker needs his finisher and every finisher needs his playmaker unless there one of those players that can do both. So as long as Ladd is really good at 1 of those things I dont think Carolina fans should be so worried about this junk about Ladd feeding off of Getzlaf b/c Getzlaf woudl suck as well if Ladd wasn't skilled enough to finish the plays Getzlaf started or vis versa.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
PanthersRule said:
Sadly? I'd be shocked if Getzlaf turned out to be half the player Rob Niedermayer was in his first 3 seasons. Had he not been injured, he would've IMO been a player who finishes with top 15 points in the league. He was a beast especially in 1996. Too bad for injuries though. He used to be my favorite player untill he started playing soft with FLA.

Rob was awesome in the 03 playoffs so I don't take Getzlaf turning out like Niedermayer as a bad thing.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Flamesfaithful said:
Once again, I wouldn't worry about him, the tools are still there, his mind just isn't completely this season. In past season he has been a good leader, it's just this season (in which i think he's disappointed not to be playing NHL hockey), that he's kinda been uninterested, and being kind of a punk a times. Obviously it'd be better if he could have played up to his potential in the WHL, but I really do feel strongly that if you threw him into a higher level, he would respond. If I was an Anahiem fan, I'd still be very very excited.

Sounds good!

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Rob was awesome in the 03 playoffs so I don't take Getzlaf turning out like Niedermayer as a bad thing.
Yeah, but he was much much better in the 96. He was a beast. He was big for 1996 or at least played big and had a longer, smoother, more powerful stride than he does now, although his stride is still similar to what it was. He'd hit anyone who touched the puck and be all over them and he'd be all over the ice as a FORCE. He could've been so so good. It's really sad not to see him become a start cuz of the injuries he had. He's still a great 2nd/3rd line center but no 1rst line player he was supposed to be in the minds of pantherfans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad