Getting your name stitched on your gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Accord said:
Guys wearing $500 Synergy skates and using $200+ OPS sticks in beer leagues is a lot worse than having your name stitched on your gloves, at least in my opinion.

I'd say that whatever improves you game. Your playing for the fun of it, if a 200 dollar stick makes you average. Then go for it, if you have the money.

canadahockeygirl*

Accord said:
What about a player spending ~$220 on a pair of Eagle H34 gloves? I know if I ever spent that much money on gloves, player or goalie, i'd want some sort of personalization.

I'm not picking on you Accord, but at the recreational or any level under pro (and even then), do players really need $220 gloves? What do they offer that the cheaper gloves don't? When I skate out I have used both and actually prefer the cheap ones-- they felt the exact same to me and both have lasted the same amount of time. It seems kind of frivolous to me. Had it not been for the broken bones I've suffered in my hands because they're too small for adult padding, I wouldn't have ever spent what I did on a new glove and blocker.

If you buy an expensive stick and skate like my 3 year old cousin, you're still not going to be a super star in your league. And what good is a slapshot that's 10 mph faster if you can't hit the net regardless? So I don't buy the idea that expensive equipment makes you better.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Van said:
I disagree. If you have the money to buy a nice stick, why not? The only problem I have with one-piece sticks, is parents buying them for their under-13 kids.

With skates, if you want to feel comfortable, you gotta go with the skate that fits best, regardless of the price. If you can't afford expensive skates in one shot, there is nothing wrong with saving up or putting a pair on layaway. I've heard the, "you can get a perfectly good pair of skates for $200" routine. It is simply wrong. The cheaper skates might fit nice, but they won't last near as long as the more expensive pair. With skates, you get what you pay for.

And I agree with the above. Goaltenders are the exception. If they're spending $250+ on just one glove, it should include personalization.
It always made me laugh when you see people that spent 500$ on all of their equipment, and can barely skate. IMO, you start with beginner gear and work your way up to more advanced equipment. For instance, if you started hockey 3 monthes ago, and can barely take a wrist shot don't buy a Mission M-1 or a Synergy Grip.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
canadahockeygirl said:
I'm not picking on you Accord, but at the recreational or any level under pro (and even then), do players really need $220 gloves? What do they offer that the cheaper gloves don't? When I skate out I have used both and actually prefer the cheap ones-- they felt the exact same to me and both have lasted the same amount of time. It seems kind of frivolous to me. Had it not been for the broken bones I've suffered in my hands because they're too small for adult padding, I wouldn't have ever spent what I did on a new glove and blocker.

If you buy an expensive stick and skate like my 3 year old cousin, you're still not going to be a super star in your league. And what good is a slapshot that's 10 mph faster if you can't hit the net regardless? So I don't buy the idea that expensive equipment makes you better.

I don't use $220 gloves, I was just using that as an example, I never said expensive equipment makes you better.

I do not wear expensive equipment aside from my 8090 skates and my Eagle X70 gloves. Almost everything else is low end stuff like my 652 helmet, cheapo low end shoulder pads, cheapo low end elbow pads, etc. Infact, I prefer most low end shoulder pads, elbow pads, etc. over expensive ones because low end ones tend to be less bulky and still offering decent protection. I have used wooden sticks for the past 10 years up until recently when I decided to spend 95 bucks on a Mission M2 shaft and using the same blade pattern, lie, etc. that I used with wooden sticks I find it's a little tougher to stick handle because I don't really have a good feel for the puck like I do when I use woodies.

IkeaMonkey*

Accord said:
I don't use $220 gloves, I was just using that as an example, I never said expensive equipment makes you better.

I do not wear expensive equipment aside from my 8090 skates and my Eagle X70 gloves. Almost everything else is low end stuff like my 652 helmet, cheapo low end shoulder pads, cheapo low end elbow pads, etc. Infact, I prefer most low end shoulder pads, elbow pads, etc. over expensive ones because low end ones tend to be less bulky and still offering decent protection. I have used wooden sticks for the past 10 years up until recently when I decided to spend 95 bucks on a Mission M2 shaft and using the same blade pattern, lie, etc. that I used with wooden sticks I find it's a little tougher to stick handle because I don't really have a good feel for the puck like I do when I use woodies.

So you'd much rather protect your hands and feet more than say...your legs, neck and head??

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
mane hokeEgoalie would you just leave no one wants to listen to you be a smart a** about everything, get a life

IkeaMonkey*

jfont said:
hokegoalie and luke34e,

knock off the personal chatter and hash it out via PM...

Um yea, hi jfont, I did not ask to speak to him nor did I address him. I have stayed on topic, if I do recall...

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
HokEGoalie said:
So you'd much rather protect your hands and feet more than say...your legs, neck and head??
You're acting like i'm playing with no pads at all, the equipment that i'm using is more than sufficient. First you criticize me for expensive equipment, now you're criticizing me for not enough equipment! I think you care very little about the type of equipment I use and you're more or less just looking for an argument. I've seen you doing this in threads with other people too, you just make little sarcastic comments with negative undertons which ends up really getting under the skin of other people, yet you always act like the good guy that never did anything wrong just because you didn't come and flat out flame them.

Ah well, i'll try and make the best of it :).

IkeaMonkey*

Accord said:
You're acting like i'm playing with no pads at all, the equipment that i'm using is more than sufficient. First you criticize me for expensive equipment, now you're criticizing me for not enough equipment! I think you care very little about the type of equipment I use and you're more or less just looking for an argument. I've seen you doing this in threads with other people too, you just make little sarcastic comments with negative undertons which ends up really getting under the skin of other people, yet you always act like the good guy that never did anything wrong just because you didn't come and flat out flame them.

No, I just think its funny when guys blow $170 on a pair of gloves, $400 on skates, then wear Franklinesque shin pads and sherwood shoulder pads.They then take an 80 MPH slapper to the shin, shattering the shin pad and breaking their leg.

Also, if you werent stating flat out lies in the "stick tape" thread, I wouldnt have to be such a "meanie".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad