Getting outshot a ton, is a F really the need?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
IMO...the priorities are...

1) A top 4 RHD who can kill penalties, can't be a one-dimensional player, needs to be able to move the puck and not be a deadbeat on offense and has to be able to defend. (ie Alexandre Carrier)

2) A 2nd line RH Center who can play 2-way hockey, kill penalties and win draws. (ie Lindholm)

No interest in any wingers.
Exactly. Adding another winger makes no sense.

Miller is better on the wing imo.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Breakup the lotto possession and play driving wise they are the Canucks worst line that has played over 75 mins this season. They are outscoring opposition 11-4 at 5 on 5 tho. PDO bender ???

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I personally don't care about shots or shot attempts. Too many qualitative variables in any given shot to make this quantitative data point overly meaningful.

Do feel we need to add at least one depth dman. A LHS comparable to Freidman/Juulsen to add some injury insurance.

Beyond that, if we aren't adding a RHS that can play with Quinn and put up comparable goal differential to Hronek in that spot, then I don't think it's worth the acquisition cost to add a top 4 piece.

Would like to add a top 6 forward, ideally a C. Bouncing one of Suter or Mikheyev out of the top 6 would increase our depth throughout the lineup.

Having the best 5 man unit on the ice is the surest way to win the possession contest. Easiest way to achieve this, factoring in pieces we have to trade, pieces available to acquire, and cost of said player, would be a 2nd line forward. Top 4 dmen, especially RHS are just too rare and expensive this time of the year.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
A solid top4 d would be more beneficial towards the team.
Especially considering our playoff aspirations.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. Adding another winger makes no sense.

Miller is better on the wing imo.
It makes a lot of sense if you split the Lotto line, IMO, and it'd presumably be cheaper than a 2C.

XX - Miller - Boeser
XX - Pettersson - Kuzmenko
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty

Currently, both spots are very questionable. We hope Mikheyev is one of them, even though he hasn't been great with Pettersson this season, but Di Giuseppe hasn't worked out at all.
Do feel we need to add at least one depth dman. A LHS comparable to Freidman/Juulsen to add some injury insurance.
I guess you can never have too many depth defenseman for a playoff run, but I don't know, our defensive depth looks pretty damn good to me, personally. We have 8 guys who I'd feel pretty comfortable playing regularly (if Friedman is your weakest link, that's pretty solid). How many teams are 9 D deep or more?

I think our forward depth is a lot more barren (even though it's less important in general).

Last edited:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
A rare game where we are playing from behind (instead of protecting a lead) and we outshoot the opposition by an almost 2:1 margin.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Yes defence is a higher priority for me than forward help. Idk why everyone is obsessing over a second line centre and assuming the lotto line is a long term solution. It isn’t. We have two amazing centres and Blueger is playing great at 3C. I don’t think getting another centre is the most pertinent need.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The forward group has a big hole without any injuries, while the D is solid with Soucy out.

I don't care how many goals this team scores in the regular season, historically, the downfall has been offence and goaltending. The powerplay is trash without Horvat, and we are 1 injury to Boeser away from PDG on our top line.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The forward group has a big hole without any injuries, while the D is solid with Soucy out.

I don't care how many goals this team scores in the regular season, historically, the downfall has been offence and goaltending. The powerplay is trash without Horvat, and we are 1 injury to Boeser away from PDG on our top line.

Wow that's a negative take.

In the bubble playoffs we won because of Demko and our offense. Of course if the other team shuts down the Canuck's offense we lose.

No team is going anywhere without their big guns performing to expectations. Just look at the Leafs. You need your best players to be your best players and have timely performances from your support players.

Finishing ability makes a huge difference.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Allvin was very prescient with the Zadarov add, now teams trying to get an edge in the playoffs race are all looking for competent blueliners who will come at a premium. So if we were looking to get yet another defensemen, we'd probably need to spend a lot more than what we did for Z. In which case the value proposition for plugging a top 6 whole would be a lot better.

Even if defense is a concern, having a well-rounded forward who can drive possession for 13-15 minutes/game can be better than messing with the blueline right now and probably be a better investment of our limited assets.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
IMO...the priorities are...

1) A top 4 RHD who can kill penalties, can't be a one-dimensional player, needs to be able to move the puck and not be a deadbeat on offense and has to be able to defend. (ie Alexandre Carrier)

2) A 2nd line RH Center who can play 2-way hockey, kill penalties and win draws. (ie Lindholm)

No interest in any wingers.
Vancouver East has what we need just gotta work out the cost for Tanev and Lindholm.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They need another D to play a matchup role.

I don’t trust a Myers Zadorov pair. I just don’t.

They also need a playdriver in their top six.

The disappointing part is that both Mikheyev and Kuzmenko have faltered. Mikh’s skating is totally gone.

I’ve litigated the pros and cons of trading both, and I’m not sure which way management goes here. I don’t think they’ll move both but they’re going to have to make a call on one of them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As mentioned before, yes absolutely expect them to pickup more defensive depth for a mid-round pick at least. Lots of potential names kicking around like Lyubushkin, Seeler types etc.

Higher end maybe you look at a guy like Provorov. Don’t really expect the top-four to be addressed until the offseason, though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad