Getting into Tryout Mode

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Well, I am officially done Midget hockey. I played Midget A hockey, had a great year. I finished with 60 points in 44 games along with 33 goals. I also played a month and a half with a broken thumb (with doctor's consent of course).

Now I'd like to try out for Junior B. I'm a really small player, 5'7 about 140 pounds. I play bigger than I am though.

What do you think I'd need to do to go out there and really impress the coach? Just like some friendly advice. :)

PuckHogs29

Jul 6, 2010
NJ
Prison rules. Skate up to the biggest guy at the tryout and knock him the F out. :sarcasm:

Seriously, as a smaller guy who's had tryouts and one camp in my extremely undistinguished career, play your game. If there are practices, get the drills right and work hard. If you have questions ask so that you do it get it right. Be the first guy ready to go and the last guy off the ice if you can. If there are scrimmages don't back down, don't be intimidated, out-hustle everyone else on the ice. Out-hit everyone you can. Score goals, make plays, but do the right thing and don't be flashy just for the sake of being flashy. If you aren't afraid to fight, and the league allows it, do it if the opportunity arises. Show them you're willing to do anything to make it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Apparently this team is known for having quite a few bigger goons on it. Don't think I'd fight anyone knowing that, but I certainly am not afraid.

I think I'll be a pest in tryouts, try to get under everyone's skin ;)

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
Be game ready. Be in shape. Play your game.

My first Jr. B camp was as a 15 year old (this was a couple of decades ago) I was 5'8" and 160lbs soaking wet at the time. There were 60 guys trying out for about a dozen roster spots. A few of the returning top guns were not there for the first part of camp.

Camp consisted of a round robin of games with the skaters broken into 4 teams. Fights got you 5 minutes in the box and then back out on the ice. I decided to do whatever I could to get myself noticed.

The first game there was a guy who had been cut from the Jr. A affiliate who was about 6'2" 200. He was not particularly skilled but was supposedly a good fighter. So I fought him. Nothing spectacular but I stayed on my feet and traded with him for a 20-25 seconds. Off to the box we go.

We serve the penalties and step back on the ice at the next whistle. He gives me a shrug basically asking to go again so I drop the leather and we tilt during the stoppage in play. I handled myself fine and we both got a few good shots. He lost his mind because I was half his size and split his lip, I had a small cut over my eye.

I go to the trainer room and am getting my eye butterfly taped and the head coach comes in the room. He had been sitting way up in the press box on the other side of the arena but had walked about 5 minutes to come talk to me.

He asked if I was ok and if I had got up on the wrong side of the bed. Then he said, "Well I know you can skate and I know you've got balls so I'll make you a deal. If you try and keep your gloves on for the next couple of games and show me what you've got I will keep you when we cut down to 20 guys."

I told him he had a deal.

I did make the first cut but didn't get to sign a card that year. So I guess the moral of the story is, "Fighting might get you noticed but if won't get you over the hump.'

Hustle every shift. Win your battles along the boards. Make smart decisions with the puck. Do the little things right.

Good luck!

mfd1068

Mar 21, 2011
Keswick
Look like a Pro!,Wear a suit,introduce your self to the GM, Coach and staff. Play your game and stick to your game. If your not a fighter,don't fight. It sounds like you can play,so go out and show the team what you can offer. Good luck!

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Chances are you'll end up doing some drills or something thats new to you. Don't be afraid to ask a question or two over the course of the practice, if you're smart about it, it can reflect favourably on your ability to be coached. Just don't try to be a coach's pet or anything either, that could go wrong fast.

I tried out for junior B my first year out of midget and made the team during the first tryout. Yeah, it was a pretty bad team.

Anyway, good luck with it. Stick to your game because you want to make it as the type of player you are, not get stuck in a role you don't like.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I wasn't a player, I was an official. When I was seventeen, the comment beside my graduation picture, in my high school yearbook, said that I wanted to be a professional hockey Referee. Two years later, when I was nineteen, I was working in Major Jr. Hockey as a Linesman and I was selected to work the Memorial Cup Final that same year. I also got to work a few games in Minor Pro Hockey that year. I was 5'7" and weighed 120 lbs. I had to break up fights between guys almost twice as big as me. Don't question yourself or ask anyone else if they think that you can do it. Tell yourself that you can do it. Think positive, it worked for me.

The one thing that will also get you noticed, whether you're a player or an official, is your skating ability.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I wasn't a player, I was an official. When I was seventeen, the comment beside my graduation picture, in my high school yearbook, said that I wanted to be a professional hockey Referee. Two years later, when I was nineteen, I was working in Major Jr. Hockey as a Linesman and I was selected to work the Memorial Cup Final that same year. I also got to work a few games in Minor Pro Hockey that year. I was 5'7" and weighed 120 lbs. I had to break up fights between guys almost twice as big as me. Don't question yourself or ask anyone else if they think that you can do it. Tell yourself that you can do it. Think positive, it worked for me.

The one thing that will also get you noticed, whether you're a player or an official, is your skating ability.

Great story! :) I have to say Skating is my biggest positive, passing is probably my second best attribute.

We'll see though, two days until tryouts, plus I'll probably try out for more than one team to better my chances.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
What do you think I'd need to do to go out there and really impress the coach? Just like some friendly advice. :)
Go out there and do you best. Skate hard, play hard and show up with a good attitude and you will be fine.
I definetly wouldnt go out there and pick a fight with the biggest guy on the ice. All thats going to do is show the coach that you are going to be a problem and make him not want you on his team.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Never ever quit on a drill or a play because you got frustrated or lost a puck. Battle hard and go all out at all times. Hustle on and off the ice in scrimmages. Hustle back in line at the end of each rep of every drill. Accept criticism for what it is and don't take it personally. Learn from your mistakes and any criticism you might receive and become a better player for it. Listen intently to every word spoken by the coaches or team staff and do your best to meet their expectations.

As has been said, play your game, do everything with a purpose, and most importantly...have fun! ;)

Good luck!

Logie

Apr 20, 2011
Wales [UK]
Just give 100% effort and if you unsure about anything just ask! There will be better players and worse, but if you give 100% you might get picked over someone who can do a certain drill, but looks lazy etc

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Thanks for all the advice! Had a pretty good tryout, scored a goal, had a couple of nice dekes that led to scoring chances.

Only downside was I got high sticked 10 seconds into my first shift with a visor on. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad