TSN: Getting drafted by Sens would be 'extra special' for 67s sharpshooter Quinn

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Quinn, a native of Cobden, Ont., caught hockey fever while watching the Senators make a run to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final.

Quinn, a native of Cobden, Ont., caught hockey fever while watching the Senators make a run to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final.
"That was pretty cool," he recalled with a smile. "Everyone in the city got behind the team and it was a tough way to end, but still quite the run."

Quinn's favourite player was captain Daniel Alfredsson.

"I just thought he was the heart and soul of the team and had a bit of an edge and was really good offensively," he said.
Quinn enjoyed watching the Senators, and fans in the nation's capital have enjoyed watching Quinn grow into an elite scorer at the junior level. After scoring 12 goals last year, he potted 52 in 62 Ontario Hockey League games this season. TSN director of scouting Craig Button calls Quinn "the best goal scorer available in this draft."

Getting drafted by Sens would be 'extra special' for Ottawa 67s sharpshooter Jack Quinn - TSN.ca

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He seems like the perfect "smarter than everyone in the room" reach for Dorion.
Well he is really really good, Dorion isnt the only one who thinks so. He is right there with Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz and Lundell. Would not be suprised if he was picked ahead of all of them.

The only way he ends up on the sens is if the San Jose pick slips to 6th. Which if the drafted him I wouldnt be upset.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A guy who wants to play for the Sens. Wow. :laugh::laugh:

If I was Quinn I’d want to be drafted by the team holding 2 & 3OA too.

It sounds like he was an Ottawa fan. I think he may fall into the 15+ range. I wouldn’t move a second to get him with the NYI pick.

I think he’s behind Holtz, Lundell, Sanderson, Guhle, Schneider types.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If most of the big scouting lists that have come out so far are anywhere close to how the teams feel about prospects, the only way the Senators will get him is if they use one of the top two picks. With a June draft, our picks will be either 1/3, 2/3, or 3/4. So, that might mean having to use a pick as high as the 3rd overall on him, which would be a bit of a reach.

Trading back from 3 or 4 is not possible. If he is ranked by a lot of teams in the 5-10 type range, and the Senators like him at 3, they won't risk trading back. The Canadiens were in a similar situation with Kotkaniemi. There was a lot of smoke about them moving back to take him, but they played it safe and stayed at 3 because there is no way to guarantee they wouldn't play themselves by moving back and having another team take him.

Quinn would have to fall pretty hard to be available within distance of the Islanders pick. While the Senators have the ammo to trade up, teams rarely move back all that far.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The Sens take Quinn in the top 10 I’d be very, very disappointed.

I agree, would love to see the sens get him, but I just don’t see a scenario where they get him. Taking him in the top 4 would be bad. He’ll likely go in the 12-16 range, and by points% the islanders pick is gonna be 21. It would likely take 21+33 to move into that range, and I don’t like that move

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Quinn is absolutely worthy of a pick in the 8-10 range. He's got high-end talent, shooting ability and speed. Not to mention his steep development curve and the tear he finished the season on with 31 goals and 53 points in the 30 games he played in 2020.

I get not wanting him with our top 2 picks, but if we had a 3rd 1st in the 8-10 range he would be a great target.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Only way I see Ottawa getting him is if he’s still available mid teens and they trade up to get him. Don’t see Ottawa trading up, or down to ~10 to get him.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The Sens take Quinn in the top 10 I’d be very, very disappointed.

I don't think that will look good using hindsight in a year or two

What do you think would be a reasonable range to consider picking him? Is he in the 11 to 20 range? Or in the 21 to 32 range?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Oh wow that is an extremely low opinion on Quinn. Why so down on him?

Well... Zultek was the local overrated Ottawa draft eligible player that everybody wanted. I’m not suggesting he will never play in the league but I think the option of us reaching for him will be a mistake. I’d add a 4th to the NYI pick to move up if the Sens liked him and and I’m not sure about a third.

I’m not impressed with the late rising accelerated curve. I think it is more age related than skill development. I think the players available at NYI will be similar so moving up to me is a bit of a local fan crush thing.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zultek was drafted 15th overall in 1997 after putting up 40 points in 63 games for the 67s. Quinn had 52 goals for the 67s this year.

It's a bad comparison. If you want an example of an overrated 67s player being suggested as a Sens pick due to the local factor, look at Tyler Cuma.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Zultek was drafted 15th overall in 1997 after putting up 40 points in 63 games for the 67s. Quinn had 52 goals for the 67s this year.

It's a bad comparison. If you want an example of an overrated 67s player being suggested as a Sens pick due to the local factor, look at Tyler Cuma.

My point was that I think this market overvalues Quinn and Rossi.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Well... Zultek was the local overrated Ottawa draft eligible player that everybody wanted. I’m not suggesting he will never play in the league but I think the option of us reaching for him will be a mistake. I’d add a 4th to the NYI pick to move up if the Sens liked him and and I’m not sure about a third.

I’m not impressed with the late rising accelerated curve. I think it is more age related than skill development. I think the players available at NYI will be similar so moving up to me is a bit of a local fan crush thing.

Always hard to say whether it's more age or skill development in young players. I will say with Quinn, he lost out on ice-time/opportunity in the 2nd half of last season when Ottawa traded for Chiodo and Maksimovich. His first 40 games saw him score 25 points, on an already extremely deep 67s team. After the trades, he scored just 15 points in his last 39 games. It reminds me of a guy like Liam Foudy. He was stuck on the 3rd/4th line of a deep London team for his first year and a half. Then they trade away the likes of Thomas, Pu, Jones, etc, and his draft stock soars with a strong 2nd half to his draft season. Without that opportunity, I doubt he would've been a top 20 pick.

Quinn got a full year opportunity this year with so many 67s forwards moving on, and he's made the most of it and then some. I'm sure being older has helped, but the increased opportunity has allowed him to show how skilled he is. Whenever a draft eligible player scores 50+, it's impressive. When he scores over a goal per game in his last 35 or so games, it's insane. He was just as great/noticeable as Rossi in the new year, in my opinion.

There's a lot to like about his game, and not many weaknesses from my viewpoint. I've also heard great things about him from a work ethic/character perspective. Having said all that, he does seem like a player that will fall between our picks. I don't have him in the top 5 but would imagine he's gone well before the early 20s.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Always hard to say whether it's more age or skill development in young players. I will say with Quinn, he lost out on ice-time/opportunity in the 2nd half of last season when Ottawa traded for Chiodo and Maksimovich. His first 40 games saw him score 25 points, on an already extremely deep 67s team. After the trades, he scored just 15 points in his last 39 games. It reminds me of a guy like Liam Foudy. He was stuck on the 3rd/4th line of a deep London team for his first year and a half. Then they trade away the likes of Thomas, Pu, Jones, etc, and his draft stock soars with a strong 2nd half to his draft season. Without that opportunity, I doubt he would've been a top 20 pick.

Quinn got a full year opportunity this year with so many 67s forwards moving on, and he's made the most of it and then some. I'm sure being older has helped, but the increased opportunity has allowed him to show how skilled he is. Whenever a draft eligible player scores 50+, it's impressive. When he scores over a goal per game in his last 35 or so games, it's insane. He was just as great/noticeable as Rossi in the new year, in my opinion.

There's a lot to like about his game, and not many weaknesses from my viewpoint. I've also heard great things about him from a work ethic/character perspective. Having said all that, he does seem like a player that will fall between our picks. I don't have him in the top 5 but would imagine he's gone well before the early 20s.

I agree with all that - I think he should go 12-20 and closer to 15+. More importantly I don’t think it’s worth trading up to get him at 10 or whatever when Perf and others would probably be available.

Reactions: SAK11

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
I'd absolutely love to snag Quinn in the draft but I can't see him falling to the Isles' pick nor can I see us adding enough to it to move up and get him. I'll definitely be cheesed if we trade back to draft him, despite the fact I'm a big fan of his.

Reactions: Matsens15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->