Proposal: Getting a number 1 center.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I guess this is you taking a shot at the Oilers when this thread has nothing to do with them . Draisaitl the raining Hart winner doesn't do a thing ? Try watching the Oilers . Last week won 2 games with out a point from McDavid or Draisaitl . Puljujarvi has been great this year . Some nights he been better then Mcdavid

What are you talking about? It is an observation about how much better McDavid than is JE and how JE hasn’t accomplish near as much as either of the other two you center in the two drafts.

You are the one turning into an Oilers thread. Congrats on winning a game or two without your top two players. Does that make you feel better.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Not sure why post like this are allowed . It contributes nothing to the thread and only cause a pissing match . Just like another poster going on about McDavid . This thread is base on a trade between the Flames and Buffalo and it's a fair trade . With this trade Buffalo has more depth and would score more goals . Calgary gets a super star to build around .
It was a tongue in cheek response to a fair trade offer shipping Tkachuk out of Calgary. Relax fun police

Reactions: voxel

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Value wise, this proposal is not bad. It brings up the philosophical question or depth vs star power.

On the Flames side, Eichel alone brings in 90-ish points but it also makes Calgary a bit of a one line team. Lindholm and Mangiapane or others could prove this wrong, but it definitely limits the options.

On the Sabres side, it creates depth. Whether Tkachuk/Monahan play together or on different lines, it creates a deeper lineup by bumping other players around to less important positions. Also, Monahan and Tkachuk combined only cost about $3.4 mil more than Eichel alone.

Arguments can be made on both sides, good or bad. Tkachuk/Monahan probably combine for 120-130 points every year where Eichel gets 90, but with the open roster spot in CGY they just need to find a 30-40 point player to even it out while Eichel could get more by playing with Gaudreau and/or Lindholm.

In Buffalo the problem is that Eichel is a star but has "nobody to play with." Through this trade it creates a lot more playable options but you do lose some star power.

With all that said, if I were Buffalo, I probably say no to the offer. Simply for the fact that Eichel is locked in for 5 more years after this one while Monahan is a UFA in 2 years and Tkachuk is an RFA after next year.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Seems like an overpayment for Eichel. If this were to go through, Calgary loses about 130 points and gains about 90-100 in Eichel? That’s taking a step backward. If anything, Buffalo would be looking for Monahan + Andersson, but I know Andersson is held in high regard in Calgary so probably a no from them.

this is a very weird and flawed way of looking at it. it isnt gonna be a 2 vs 1 thing, calgary will dress an extra winger to fill out the lineup

so its 130 vs 90-100 + whatever a replacement level guy can do with some minutes. throw pretty much anyone in the top 6 and they will make up that 30-40

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
this is a very weird and flawed way of looking at it. it isnt gonna be a 2 vs 1 thing, calgary will dress an extra winger to fill out the lineup

so its 130 vs 90-100 + whatever a replacement level guy can do with some minutes. throw pretty much anyone in the top 6 and they will make up that 30-40

You haven't seen Geoff Ward try to pigeonhole Dominik Simon into the top 6 this season have you?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Not sure why Buffalo does this? Their window of opportunity is not open right now, so why trade Eichel for 2.5 years of a low end 1C (some would argue a high end 2 C) and Matthew Tkachuk? I have watched Monahan quite a bit... he has never impressed me... not enough for me to consider him a 1C. Even most Flames fans have fallen out of favor on him the last couple of years. Tkachuk is a very good winger though.

If I were Buffalo, I would continue to build around Eichel and Dahlin. That Skinner contract might be the biggest thing preventing them from building a better team around those guys though... and that's another 6.5 years. I truly feel bad for Sabre fans.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Not sure why Buffalo does this? Their window of opportunity is not open right now, so why trade Eichel for 2.5 years of a low end 1C (some would argue a high end 2 C) and Matthew Tkachuk? I have watched Monahan quite a bit... he has never impressed me... not enough for me to consider him a 1C. Even most Flames fans have fallen out of favor on him the last couple of years. Tkachuk is a very good winger though.

If I were Buffalo, I would continue to build around Eichel and Dahlin. That Skinner contract might be the biggest thing preventing them from building a better team around those guys though... and that's another 6.5 years. I truly feel bad for Sabre fans.

What does a skinner buy out look like? lol

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What are you talking about? It is an observation about how much better McDavid than is JE and how JE hasn’t accomplish near as much as either of the other two you center in the two drafts.

You are the one turning into an Oilers thread. Congrats on winning a game or two without your top two players. Does that make you feel better.

Again read your own posting . You bought the Oilers into a thread and that proceeded to say the Oilers only have McDavid . I pointed out this isn't an Oiler thread and the Oilers have more then McDavid . As for your new twist " its an observation about how much better McDavid is then JE" if that the case why mention how much the Oilers over use him ?

Heres your posting :

If I am Calgary, I wouldn’t do it. That is a huge offer.

"Is JE on Matthew’s level or a tier below. He clearly isn’t carrying his team, al la McDavid. Doesn’t have the depth that Matthew’s has. I don’t know.

And his team hasn’t won anything more the the draft lottery. They don’t seem to be improving"

Doesn't have the depth is about knocking the Oilers . it is not about McDavid .

Team isn't improving and hasn't won anything other then the draft lottery . Again not about how good McDavid is . Also please tell us what TML have won ?

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Again read your own posting . You bought the Oilers into a thread and that proceeded to say the Oilers only have McDavid . I pointed out this isn't an Oiler thread and the Oilers have more then McDavid . As for your new twist " its an observation about how much better McDavid is then JE" if that the case why mention how much the Oilers over use him ?

Heres your posting :

"Is JE on Matthew’s level or a tier below. He clearly isn’t carrying his team, al la McDavid. Doesn’t have the depth that Matthew’s has. I don’t know.

And his team hasn’t won anything more the the draft lottery. They don’t seem to be improving"

Team isn't improving and hasn't won anything other then the draft lottery . Again not about how good McDavid is . Also please tell us what TML have won ?

All of the bolded part is in reference to Buffalo - NOT the Oilers. NOT ONCE DO I MENTION the Oilers as a team.

Doesn't have the depth is referring to the comparison of JE to Matthews. His team - (that would be Buffalo). How do we judge how good he is with the lack of supporting cast? He isn't carrying them on his back and Toronto is much deeper then Buffalo.

This IS A COVERSATION ABOUT JE not McDavid.

And my favorite team is the Blues, we won the cup in 2019...... I don't like the Leafs.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Monahan and Gaudreau for Eichel is better.

Build the Flames around Eichel and Thachuk. Them on the same line would be amazing.

Get it done Brad Treloving.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
This trade leave a franchise center-sized hole at C in Buffalo and would set them back years. Monahan has been god awful this season and he has to have the most sheltered reputation on these boards. Always has been a passenger to Gaudreau but now he's just playing like a total anchor, and he's playing like he doesn't give a shit either. I wouldn't even want this guy as the 2C on Florida or Detroit (both with gaping holes at 2C) at his price of 6.375M for 2 more years.

Though a great player, Tkachuk becomes redundant on Buffalo.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's a good proposal. I just don't think Buffalo wants to trade Eichel, and they have him under contract through July 2026.

I think the only way Buffalo trades Eichel is if he wants out, which doesn't appear to be close to happening but you understand the logic.

This is Jack's 6th season in Buffalo and so far they've finished:
23rd
26th
31st
27th
25th

They're currently sitting 27th in points percentage this season. They haven't even had one mediocre season since Eichel's been there, finishing in the bottom 25% every single season.

I don't know a whole lot about the Sabres prospect pool / future outlook beyond having Rossi, Quinn & Cozens, but they have $9MM of essentially dead cap space tied up in Skinner for 6 seasons after this one, $6MM for 2 1/2 more seasons of Okposo, seem to lack a goalie of the present and future.

I want to see Buffalo start winning, but if you're Eichel and looking at this team and getting your teeth kicked in night after night for the 6th straight season it's hard to be optimistic they will turn things around anytime soon.

Hard to imagine Buffalo getting a more valuable offer than the one proposed by the OP, but I also understand them turning it down and going with a younger package of picks/prospects and building firmly around the Dahlin/Cozens/Quinn/Rossi timeline.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Heres your posting :

Complains about McDavid being mentioned to derail the thread and then brings up Matthew's. Only on HF.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Jack is one of the premier centres in the league, very young and barely realized his true potential.

No way I’d do this trade if I were in Buffalo’s position.
He’s the same age as McDavid who everyone says is in the prime of his career. So which is it?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's probably as good of value as Buffalo could get. The question is, does a trade like this result in them continuing to tread water as a .500 team with no forward progress made in either direction?

I think it would, which kind of defeats the purpose of an Eichel trade. If you trade Eichel IMO the best course of action is tear it down completely and enter into a full fledged rebuild.

They have some decent pieces to start building around. Dahlin, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka... Some quality pieces already exist to build around, an Eichel trade would easily give them a Top, top tier prospect on top of all that, along with likely at least one first round pick and multiple other pieces.

But in terms of actual NHL proven talent, it likely doesn't get better than a Monahan + Tkachuk package.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
If you go by Toronto's example you need to draft one. Even in free agency Toronto landed Tavares (11 M), and he is forming into a 2C.

Nashville traded Jones for Johansen thinking that they got their 1C. I don't know if it worked out quite so well for Nashville.

This proposal will likely not get you your wish for a 1C. If you want to re-build they could get you decent draft picks.
The Jets were able to land a pretty good 23yr old 6 ft 3” future franchise centre just over a month or so ago. It is possible

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Jets were able to land a pretty good 23yr old 6 ft 3” future franchise centre just over a month or so ago. It is possible

Yes but look at the cost. CBJ got a star winger and a 1C in the trade.

Look at Tor. They had a long drought, but in the 90s they were rich with centers: Sundin and Gilmour were both acquired in a trade.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Simple proposal for two struggling teams. Calgary will never be a serious contender without a number 1 center. Discuss?

Sean Monahan and Matt Tkachuk
For
Jack Eichel

This is the type of deal Buffalo needs to consider. They need to peddle Eichel and get the best possible deal out there because that team isn't going anywhere with him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He’s the same age as McDavid who everyone says is in the prime of his career. So which is it?

Weirdly enough not every single player develops at exactly the same rate. Eichel was a much rawer prospect at the draft, and he's gotten better every year since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->