Proposal: Getting a number 1 center.

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by The Red Mile, Feb 21, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. GuerinUp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Verizon Wireless
    outside perspective, i feel like this trade would make both teams worse tbh. I dont understand why either team would do this.

2. Frenzy31 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    What are you talking about? It is an observation about how much better McDavid than is JE and how JE hasn’t accomplish near as much as either of the other two you center in the two drafts.

You are the one turning into an Oilers thread. Congrats on winning a game or two without your top two players. Does that make you feel better.

3. Stealth1616 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It was a tongue in cheek response to a fair trade offer shipping Tkachuk out of Calgary. Relax fun police

voxel likes this.
  4. Voodoo Glow Skulls Formerly Vatican Roulette Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Don't think either team does this.

If Eichel is traded, I see him going to LA.

5. Pucker77 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Value wise, this proposal is not bad. It brings up the philosophical question or depth vs star power.

On the Flames side, Eichel alone brings in 90-ish points but it also makes Calgary a bit of a one line team. Lindholm and Mangiapane or others could prove this wrong, but it definitely limits the options.

On the Sabres side, it creates depth. Whether Tkachuk/Monahan play together or on different lines, it creates a deeper lineup by bumping other players around to less important positions. Also, Monahan and Tkachuk combined only cost about $3.4 mil more than Eichel alone.

Arguments can be made on both sides, good or bad. Tkachuk/Monahan probably combine for 120-130 points every year where Eichel gets 90, but with the open roster spot in CGY they just need to find a 30-40 point player to even it out while Eichel could get more by playing with Gaudreau and/or Lindholm.

In Buffalo the problem is that Eichel is a star but has "nobody to play with." Through this trade it creates a lot more playable options but you do lose some star power.

With all that said, if I were Buffalo, I probably say no to the offer. Simply for the fact that Eichel is locked in for 5 more years after this one while Monahan is a UFA in 2 years and Tkachuk is an RFA after next year.

6. Halla Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    this is a very weird and flawed way of looking at it. it isnt gonna be a 2 vs 1 thing, calgary will dress an extra winger to fill out the lineup

so its 130 vs 90-100 + whatever a replacement level guy can do with some minutes. throw pretty much anyone in the top 6 and they will make up that 30-40

7. treple13 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You haven't seen Geoff Ward try to pigeonhole Dominik Simon into the top 6 this season have you?

8. zar Bleed Blue

SB Cash:
    $ 64,692
    Not sure why Buffalo does this? Their window of opportunity is not open right now, so why trade Eichel for 2.5 years of a low end 1C (some would argue a high end 2 C) and Matthew Tkachuk? I have watched Monahan quite a bit... he has never impressed me... not enough for me to consider him a 1C. Even most Flames fans have fallen out of favor on him the last couple of years. Tkachuk is a very good winger though.

If I were Buffalo, I would continue to build around Eichel and Dahlin. That Skinner contract might be the biggest thing preventing them from building a better team around those guys though... and that's another 6.5 years. I truly feel bad for Sabre fans.

9. Captain Controversy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Electrician.
    What does a skinner buy out look like? lol

10. zar Bleed Blue

SB Cash:
    $ 64,692
  11. Drake1588 UNATCO

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's a good proposal. I just don't think Buffalo wants to trade Eichel, and they have him under contract through July 2026.

12. McSuper 5-14-6-1

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Retired

Again read your own posting . You bought the Oilers into a thread and that proceeded to say the Oilers only have McDavid . I pointed out this isn't an Oiler thread and the Oilers have more then McDavid . As for your new twist " its an observation about how much better McDavid is then JE" if that the case why mention how much the Oilers over use him ?

Heres your posting :

If I am Calgary, I wouldn’t do it. That is a huge offer.

"Is JE on Matthew’s level or a tier below. He clearly isn’t carrying his team, al la McDavid. Doesn’t have the depth that Matthew’s has. I don’t know.

And his team hasn’t won anything more the the draft lottery. They don’t seem to be improving"

Doesn't have the depth is about knocking the Oilers . it is not about McDavid .

Team isn't improving and hasn't won anything other then the draft lottery . Again not about how good McDavid is . Also please tell us what TML have won ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  13. Frenzy31 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    All of the bolded part is in reference to Buffalo - NOT the Oilers. NOT ONCE DO I MENTION the Oilers as a team.

Doesn't have the depth is referring to the comparison of JE to Matthews. His team - (that would be Buffalo). How do we judge how good he is with the lack of supporting cast? He isn't carrying them on his back and Toronto is much deeper then Buffalo.

This IS A COVERSATION ABOUT JE not McDavid.

And my favorite team is the Blues, we won the cup in 2019...... I don't like the Leafs.

14. SeanMoneyHands Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Monahan and Gaudreau for Eichel is better.

Build the Flames around Eichel and Thachuk. Them on the same line would be amazing.

Get it done Brad Treloving.

15. Our Lady Peace Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This trade leave a franchise center-sized hole at C in Buffalo and would set them back years. Monahan has been god awful this season and he has to have the most sheltered reputation on these boards. Always has been a passenger to Gaudreau but now he's just playing like a total anchor, and he's playing like he doesn't give a shit either. I wouldn't even want this guy as the 2C on Florida or Detroit (both with gaping holes at 2C) at his price of 6.375M for 2 more years.

Though a great player, Tkachuk becomes redundant on Buffalo.

16. HBK27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think the only way Buffalo trades Eichel is if he wants out, which doesn't appear to be close to happening but you understand the logic.

This is Jack's 6th season in Buffalo and so far they've finished:
    23rd
    26th
    31st
    27th
    25th

They're currently sitting 27th in points percentage this season. They haven't even had one mediocre season since Eichel's been there, finishing in the bottom 25% every single season.

I don't know a whole lot about the Sabres prospect pool / future outlook beyond having Rossi, Quinn & Cozens, but they have $9MM of essentially dead cap space tied up in Skinner for 6 seasons after this one, $6MM for 2 1/2 more seasons of Okposo, seem to lack a goalie of the present and future.

I want to see Buffalo start winning, but if you're Eichel and looking at this team and getting your teeth kicked in night after night for the 6th straight season it's hard to be optimistic they will turn things around anytime soon.

Hard to imagine Buffalo getting a more valuable offer than the one proposed by the OP, but I also understand them turning it down and going with a younger package of picks/prospects and building firmly around the Dahlin/Cozens/Quinn/Rossi timeline.

17. BlueBaron Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Complains about McDavid being mentioned to derail the thread and then brings up Matthew's. Only on HF.

18. 26 others Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He’s the same age as McDavid who everyone says is in the prime of his career. So which is it?

19. SFKingshomer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    A lightly used Jeff Carter

20. Pierce Hawthorne Formerly Avsare1

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That's probably as good of value as Buffalo could get. The question is, does a trade like this result in them continuing to tread water as a .500 team with no forward progress made in either direction?

I think it would, which kind of defeats the purpose of an Eichel trade. If you trade Eichel IMO the best course of action is tear it down completely and enter into a full fledged rebuild.

They have some decent pieces to start building around. Dahlin, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka... Some quality pieces already exist to build around, an Eichel trade would easily give them a Top, top tier prospect on top of all that, along with likely at least one first round pick and multiple other pieces.

But in terms of actual NHL proven talent, it likely doesn't get better than a Monahan + Tkachuk package.

21. MoeBartoli Chex-to-Jax

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    An easy yes for Buffalo.

22. GreatSaveEssensa Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    The Jets were able to land a pretty good 23yr old 6 ft 3” future franchise centre just over a month or so ago. It is possible

23. ottomaddox Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Repo Man
    Yes but look at the cost. CBJ got a star winger and a 1C in the trade.

Look at Tor. They had a long drought, but in the 90s they were rich with centers: Sundin and Gilmour were both acquired in a trade.

24. OCPenguin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This is the type of deal Buffalo needs to consider. They need to peddle Eichel and get the best possible deal out there because that team isn't going anywhere with him.

25. tsujimoto74 Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Weirdly enough not every single player develops at exactly the same rate. Eichel was a much rawer prospect at the draft, and he's gotten better every year since.