Proposal: Getting a number 1 center.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Hmm, interesting offer. A low end 1c/ high end 2c and a young winger i absolutely LOVE. That's interesting. However, if I'm Buffalo I'd be looking for more. They may get less "sure things" but I think they could get even more value back in a trade for Jack.

Neither of those players are elite of franchise lvl so getting 4 or 5 assets instead of just 2 would probably be better for the Sabres.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
It's a tough trade situation because usually you have to draft a number 1 center not common to see them traded.....Eichel isn't going anywhere unless he forces their hand...

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If you go by Toronto's example you need to draft one. Even in free agency Toronto landed Tavares (11 M), and he is forming into a 2C.

Nashville traded Jones for Johansen thinking that they got their 1C. I don't know if it worked out quite so well for Nashville.

This proposal will likely not get you your wish for a 1C. If you want to re-build they could get you decent draft picks.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It does seem like a good starting offer but as said, people don't trade these guys and seldom let them become FA's. You might get lucky and someone demands a trade but you can't bank on that.

I'd watch the Eichel and Barkov situations closely while focusing on drafting one.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Personally, if Buffalo moved Eichel this is a package I think they should consider. They get a replacement so their centers are complete ass, and get another top 6 player out of it. This guy has attitude and loves to win and would be a big add. Try and retool the roster into being more like the Islanders than the Oilers, Leafs, Tampa, Avs, etc of the league. They already have Dahlin and a decent group of D. Put the right system in, they have good enough forwards to score a few goals a game. Could really improve their club.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Honestly, Eichel is good, but Monahan and Chucky? That's like a tough one, if they want more I'm not interested at all, but if its 2 for 1, im intrigued... if they want more lesser pieces of picks/prospects rather than players who have proven themselves, then thats on them

Reactions: wings95

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
If I am Calgary, I wouldn’t do it. That is a huge offer.

Is JE on Matthew’s level or a tier below. He clearly isn’t carrying his team, al la McDavid. Doesn’t have the depth that Matthew’s has. I don’t know.

And his team hasn’t won anything more the the draft lottery. They don’t seem to be improving.

Reactions: wings95

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Seems like an overpayment for Eichel. If this were to go through, Calgary loses about 130 points and gains about 90-100 in Eichel? That’s taking a step backward. If anything, Buffalo would be looking for Monahan + Andersson, but I know Andersson is held in high regard in Calgary so probably a no from them.

Reactions: CanuckCity

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Seems like an overpayment for Eichel. If this were to go through, Calgary loses about 130 points and gains about 90-100 in Eichel? That’s taking a step backward. If anything, Buffalo would be looking for Monahan + Andersson, but I know Andersson is held in high regard in Calgary so probably a no from them.

45+ goals and 80-90 assists for 25-35 goals and 50+ assists?

Why is Calgary doing that?

Do they have someone ready to step up and offset the serious loss of production??

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
1C and 1D are rarely ever traded without one of the other not coming back. Buffalo should not do this

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Simple proposal for two struggling teams. Calgary will never be a serious contender without a number 1 center. Discuss?

Sean Monahan and Matt Tkachuk
For
Jack Eichel
Thank you for a legit offer that doesn't produce a laugh track. I don't think it would be my first choice if Sabre fan but if Eichel caused that much of a stink and had to go n offseason it wouldn't be a wt* did Buffalo just do.

Reactions: banks

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Calgary definitely makes a pitch built around Monahan or Gaudreau. I think they would even make a proposal with both of them before they include Tkachuk.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Monahan isn't very exciting as a return but could see him and Tkachuk being the basis of a more team oriented, pack mentality version of the Sabres.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
45+ goals and 80-90 assists for 25-35 goals and 50+ assists?

Why is Calgary doing that?

Do they have someone ready to step up and offset the serious loss of production??
That’s the whole issue with trading a number of roster players for one player in return. I’m not a fan of the Flames and don’t know what their prospect pool is like, but the only way a trade makes sense for both teams is if both teams somehow gain (obviously). Giving up Monahan + blue chip prospect and picks might be enough to at least get their attention without completely gutting the Flames roster.

Reactions: pld459666

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
In terms of value, this is very close, but how good will Monahan be when Skinner or Olofsson plays on his wing instead of Gaudreau? Also, he probably does not quite suit our age and term, although...

Reactions: Barnaby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->