Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Hello guys. I am a convert from the team boards. Have been there the last 4 or so years and just browsed here. Also quickly about myself. Im originally from Cleveland Ohio and live in southern Va. now. Started watching the NHL from playing the early EA games. Played as the Bruins and became a fan of Oates, Neely, and Bourque. Watch the Avs final rooting for Bourque and fell in love with the game. I was in the Navy at the time and stationed in Cali. I happen to get out in 97' moved back home just north of Greensboro and thats how I became a Canes fan.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Name: Mike
Sex: M
Where You're From: Born: Chicago, Ill - Lived in multiple locations within NC for many years
Where You Live Now: Leesburg, VA
Nationality: USA
Mode of Transportation: Chevrolet Truck and Toyota Camry
Job: I am gainfully employed
What brought you to HF Boards: NHL Canes board went bye-bye
How you became a hockey fan: Born and raised a Chicago Blackhawks fan
How you became a Canes fan: Hockey-starved living in NC, Canes were originally my #2 team but eventually became my #1 (full convert)
Favorite about being a Canes fan: Other than 2006 and BBQ tailgating before home games, being a thorn in the side of my many Capitals friends and co-workers and wearing my Canes jersey to work after Game 7 win vs Caps (2019)
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Past: Justin Williams, Mike Commodore - Current: Jordan Martinook, Andrei Svechnikov
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa, Brian Bickell, Chris Chelios, Ed Belfour
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: All Chicago and North Carolina pro teams, Wisconsin Badgers, East Carolina Pirates, Durham Bulls, Down East Wood Ducks
College Attended/Attending: East Carolina University (2003)
Video Game Systems Owned: I have basically kept Nintendo stock high!
Music You Listen To: Multiple genres
Favorite Movie(s): All Die Hard movies
Favorite Food(s): Italian
Favorite TV Show(s): Netflix junkie; hard to list just them all
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe:
Hurricanes: Michael Ferluand (Home black/alternate), Andrei Svechnikov (Away white/traditional Hurricane swirl logo), Nino Niederreiter (Away white/new "CANES" diagonal)

Blackhawks: Marian Hossa (Home red) , Erik Gustafsson (Away white)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Where You're From: Born: Chicago, Ill - Lived in multiple locations within NC for many years
How you became a Canes fan: Hockey-starved living in NC, Canes were originally my #2 team but eventually became my #1 (full convert)
Favorite about being a Canes fan: Other than 2006 and BBQ tailgating before home games, being a thorn in the side of my many Capitals friends and co-workers and wearing my Canes jersey to work after Game 7 win vs Caps (2019)
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Past: Justin Williams, Mike Commodore - Current: Jordan Martinook, Andrei Svechnikov
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa, Brian Bickell, Chris Chelios, Ed Belfour
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: All Chicago and North Carolina pro teams, Wisconsin Badgers, East Carolina Pirates, Durham Bulls, Down East Wood Ducks
Hurricanes: Michael Ferluand (Home black/alternate), Andrei Svechnikov (Away white/traditional Hurricane swirl logo), Nino Niederreiter (Away white/new "CANES" diagonal)

Welcome.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Welcome.

MWCanes

Feb 8, 2021
Hello, all. I’ve lurked here for a while but wanted to get in on the game day threads, etc. I like to vent/meltdown when necessary.

I became a Canes fan when they moved to Raleigh. I’m a Raleigh native and one day on a whim, me and some buddies decided to go to a game. We were hooked. Anyway, time lapse forward 20 years and now I have kids and luckily my son loves watching the games. Especially during the covid shutdown, it’s been good to have Canes games to look forward to.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hello, all. I’ve lurked here for a while but wanted to get in on the game day threads, etc. I like to vent/meltdown when necessary.

I became a Canes fan when they moved to Raleigh. I’m a Raleigh native and one day on a whim, me and some buddies decided to go to a game. We were hooked. Anyway, time lapse forward 20 years and now I have kids and luckily my son loves watching the games. Especially during the covid shutdown, it’s been good to have Canes games to look forward to.

Welcome, you'll fit right in.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I went to my message board and my message board was gone
What to do, what to do, what to do
Find a better message board
... or, go out to the sunshine. Rip yourself completely out of this sorry scene. Take on a hiking hobby, or jeeps or something. Go fight people at the Bojangles parking lot. You're like halfway out, don't let us pull you back in.

You know, not to discourage anyone from seeking out new friends, but this, bro, this is your maybe one chance for freedom. Run like wind, into the wind. Because we know how much you like wind, dawg.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I went to my message board and my message board was gone
What to do, what to do, what to do
Find a better message board

Hey OB, welcome aboard. You'll recognize several fellow emigres from the usernames, a couple from the avatar, and I suspect there may be a couple long time HF Canes members who may have also posted on the now dead official Canes board.

Too bad the Canes just shut down their board without notice instead of giving us the opportunity to share options about other places to go. Several previous Canes board members have trickled in here, but I suspect there's more that would like to join but haven't found HF Boards yet.

I know I haven't looked back.

Last edited:

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Hey OB, welcome aboard. You'll recognize several fellow emigres from the usernames, a couple from the avatar, and I suspect there may be a couple long time HF Canes members who may have also posted on the now dead official Canes board.

Too bad the Canes just shut down their board without notice instead of giving us the opportunity to discuss other options for after they shut down the board. Several previous Canes board members have trickled in here, but I suspect there's more that would like to join but haven't found HF Boards yet.

I know I haven't looked back.

I told magpiemaniac about this forum. We should see him soon.

hag65

Jan 14, 2021
Eye of the Hurricane
It's time to introduce myself.
Another exile from the Canes official message board.

Hockey:
Full STH since the Canes move to Raleigh. (and all ICECAPS seasons before that).
Before that, Clarkson University Golden Knights hockey. (Go Erik Cole). That's the meaning of the avatar.
Before that, the Miracle on Ice caught my attention and made me a die hard. Hockey is the greatest spectator sport.
Been to over 1000 games in person.

Known for 2 things on the old message board:
1. A written "theatre of the mind skit" similar to Bob and Doug McKenzie I called "Canes Cold Ones with Hag and The Big Guy". I might bring this back at some point.
2. Hagmetrics, which was a very simple way to calculate where we (Canes) are at when the number of games played are unbalanced. I do not need to bring this back since they now displaying point percentage on the standings, which is better. So the new instructions are, sort by the "P%" column when you look at the standings.

I don't take myself seriously, nor mine or anyone's opinions on hockey. It's not that important.
That being said, I live and die by this team, my Clarkson team, and others in other sports. If you don't sell out your emotions to something, what is the point.

Being there when we won the Cup was surreal. I had lived in the area 5 years when my friend told me we were getting a hockey team (Icecaps) and I thought he was pulling my leg (Yeah right, hockey in ACC Basketball Mecca? It'll never happen). 15 years later we were hoisting the Stanley Cup. I still can't believe it.

We could do it again.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA

Hockey:
Full STH since the Canes move to Raleigh. (and all ICECAPS seasons before that).
Before that, Clarkson University Golden Knights hockey. (Go Erik Cole). That's the meaning of the avatar.
Before that, the Miracle on Ice caught my attention and made me a die hard. Hockey is the greatest spectator sport.

1. A written "theatre of the mind skit" similar to Bob and Doug McKenzie I called "Canes Cold Ones with Hag and The Big Guy". I might bring this back at some point.
2. Hagmetrics, which was a very simple way to calculate where we (Canes) are at when the number of games played are unbalanced. I do not need to bring this back since they now displaying point percentage on the standings, which is better. So the new instructions are, sort by the "P%" column when you look at the standings.

I don't take myself seriously, nor mine or anyone's opinions on hockey. It's not that important.
That being said, I live and die by this team, my Clarkson team, and others in other sports. If you don't sell out your emotions to something, what is the point.

Being there when we won the Cup was surreal. I had lived in the area 5 years when my friend told me we were getting a hockey team (Icecaps) and I thought he was pulling my leg (Yeah right, hockey in ACC Basketball Mecca? It'll never happen). 15 years later we were hoisting the Stanley Cup. I still can't believe it.

We could do it again.
Good to see another refugee here! Welcome!

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Hockey:

We could do it again.

Hey, hag. I noticed another member here who is either from Potsdam or has family there. I used to travel through Potsdam going from Syracuse to college in Plattsburgh (depending on the route chosen). So there's at least a couple of us here who have been exposed to those cold, north winters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

hag65

Jan 14, 2021
Eye of the Hurricane
Hey, hag. I noticed another member here who is either from Potsdam or has family there. I used to travel through Potsdam going from Syracuse to college in Plattsburgh (depending on the route chosen). So there's at least a couple of us used to the cold, north winters.

I still go up once a year for a weekend of hockey. Until this year of course.

I did connect with another Clarkson alum here already.

Didn't know you went to college in Plattsburgh... after all of that time on the other board. Cool.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad