Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Realize I too never did one of these. So I'll properly introduce myself.

Name: Joe
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Raleigh, NC
Where You Live Now: Raleigh, NC (Although planning on moving to L.A. next spring)
Nationality: American
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: Jeep Wrangler
Job: Emergency Medical Technician
What brought you to HF Boards: Been a member of the Hurricanes' official message board for years, but the boards becoming kind of inactive and redundant.
How you became a hockey fan: Honestly, The Mighty Ducks. I was 7yrs old when the movie came out, and it drew my interest in hockey. Took lessons at the Cary ice rink when i was 9, but i was also big into baseball, so i stopped going to hockey lessons.
How you became a Canes fan: Worked at the RBC Center the year the Hurricanes won the cup, and it was fun just working there. Before that, was too young and broke to go to games. Decided to start going to games at the beginning of the 08-09. First game i went to we were blown out 5-1 by Washington, but I still loved it.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): I honestly try not to pick favorites on my favorite sports teams. Can't say I have a favorite.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Joe Thorton, Drew Doughty, Claude Giroux, Mikko Koivu
Other Sports You Like: In order NFL, UFC, NBA, MLB, Tennis. Been to all four major sports live, and 2 UFC events live in Vegas.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Houston Texans, Dallas Mavericks, Seattle Mariners, Maryland Terripans
College Attended/Attending: Wake Tech (getting my degree in Computer Information Technology in the summer)
Video Game Systems Owned: Currently just the PS3 and N64, but i've owned the original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, N64, Playstation, Playstation 2, and Playstation 3. Also Gameboy and PSP. True 90's kid.
Favorite Game(s): All time is GTA Vice City. Otherwise NHL, Madden, and GTA games
Music You Listen To: Everything except country. Mostly 90's anything, 80's rock, hip hop, slow jams.
Favorite Movie(s): All time top 5 in order: Die Hard, The Departed, Jurassic Park, Fear (Mark Wahlberg's), Training Day
Favorite Book(s): Currently IT books
Favorite Food(s): Sushi, Sushi, and Sushi
Favorite TV Show(s): All time top 5 in order: Law & Order SVU, Boy Meets World, Nash Bridges, Walker Texas Ranger, Martin. My mind's halfway in the 90's still, so i don't watch much current television.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Black Jeff Skinner jersey, autographed by Jeff Skinner, with a small beer stain from a hot chick that spilled beer on me.
Anything Else: No

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Name: Jacob (or in my native language Jēkabs)
Where You're From: Latvia, Liepāja
Where You Live Now: Same place still
Nationality: Latvian
Hair Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: VW Golf
Job: University Student
What brought you to HF Boards: I love hockey, and I tried to find place where to read news and discussions about NHL and Canes
How you became a hockey fan: I have been sports fan my whole life, and because hockey is one of the most popular sports in my country, I started to watch hockey games since like 3 years old
How you became a Canes fan: Because of 2 famous latvian players- Arturs Irbe and Sandis Ozolins
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: That Canes are not "big" team, and to see them succeed is really nice to see
Favorite Cane's Player(s): I have to say Faulk, I really like the style of play from him
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s):
Other Sports You Like: Almost every sport you can think of
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Mets, Panthers etc
College Attended/Attending: Attending now
Video Game Systems Owned: PS3, but PC is master race
Favorite Game(s): NHL, Counter Strike etc
Music You Listen To: Almost anything but most often I listen to pop punk, alternative, deathcore and electronic music like progressive house etc
Favorite Movie(s): Inception
Favorite Book(s): Harry Potter
Favorite Food(s): I would say burger what I can get in my local burger place
Favorite TV Show(s): Breaking bad, Suits, GoT etc
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Only few european football ones, and one replic of Carolina Hurricanes
Anything Else: Happy to be with fellow hockey and Canes fans, cheers!

Reactions: sheriff bart

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Name: Jacob (or in my native language Jēkabs)
Where You're From: Latvia, Liepāja
Where You Live Now: Same place still
Nationality: Latvian
Mode of Transportation: VW Golf
Job: University Student
What brought you to HF Boards: I love hockey, and I tried to find place where to read news and discussions about NHL and Canes
How you became a hockey fan: I have been sports fan my whole life, and because hockey is one of the most popular sports in my country, I started to watch hockey games since like 3 years old
How you became a Canes fan: Because of 2 famous latvian players- Arturs Irbe and Sandis Ozolins
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: That Canes are not "big" team, and to see them succeed is really nice to see
Favorite Cane's Player(s): I have to say Faulk, I really like the style of play from him
Other Sports You Like: Almost every sport you can think of
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Mets, Panthers etc
College Attended/Attending: Attending now
Video Game Systems Owned: PS3, but PC is master race
Favorite Game(s): NHL, Counter Strike etc
Music You Listen To: Almost anything but most often I listen to pop punk, alternative, deathcore and electronic music like progressive house etc
Favorite Movie(s): Inception
Favorite Book(s): Harry Potter
Favorite Food(s): I would say burger what I can get in my local burger place
Favorite TV Show(s): Breaking bad, Suits, GoT etc
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Only few european football ones, and one replic of Carolina Hurricanes
Anything Else: Happy to be with fellow hockey and Canes fans, cheers!

Welcome, always fun with more europeans on this board!

But that Arsenal team is no good. ;)

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Name: Pyry (Jonister, biloxiparish)
Where You're From:
Where You Live Now: Tampere
Nationality: Finland
Mode of Transportation: Dare not to tell
Job: Student, soon to be working
What brought you to HF Boards: Been following many years, but slowly getting into replying to things
How you became a hockey fan: Finnish hockey players that performed in WHC's like Teppo Numminen, Kimmo Rintanen and others
How you became a Canes fan: Playing NHL 2004 with Canes.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Team's identity.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Ray Whitney, Patrick Dwyer, Joni Pitkänen, now Jeff Skinner probably
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Jussi Jokinen...
Other Sports You Like: Soccer
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: MyPa (although it doesn't exist anymore)
College Attended/Attending:
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox360
Favorite Game(s): NHL11, FIFA15,
Music You Listen To: Bruce Springsteen, The Gaslight Anthem, Darren Hayes, Billy Joel, Brandon Flowers etc.
Favorite Movie(s): Cloud Atlas
Favorite Book(s): John Naish - Enough
Favorite Food(s): Cabbage casserole
Favorite TV Show(s): Parenthood, Lost, Everwood etc.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: One black Canes shirt
Anything Else: Hoping to be more active!

CalUK

Feb 16, 2015
Scotland
Been posting now and again, and never noticed this, so here I go...

Name: Cal
Sex: M
Where You're From: Charlotte (left a long time ago tho)
Where You Live Now: Near Glasgow, Sco, UK
Nationality: British
Hair Color: Not sure
Eye Color: Not sure
Mode of Transportation: Walking
Job: IT Person
What brought you to HF Boards: Hockey (living in the UK, there are hockey fans but not much, although its getting more popular)
How you became a hockey fan: '95, NHL94 on Mega-Drive
How you became a Canes fan: '98 when I realised there was an NC team
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Having a hockey team from NC
Favorite Cane's Player(s): No particular favourite
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Subban
Other Sports You Like: Football (Soccer) I guess, but less so than I used to.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Arsenal, Braehead Clan (EIHL)
College Attended/Attending: Left
Video Game Systems Owned: PS1,2,3,4 X1,360x2, Gamecubex2, WiiU, 3DS, Mega Drive
Favorite Game(s): Fallout Series, Witcher 3, CK2
Music You Listen To: Random
Favorite Movie(s): Dunno
Favorite Book(s): Dunno
Favorite Food(s): KFC
Favorite TV Show(s): Battlestar Galactica Remake, & GOT
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: 2xCanes Away, 4x Canes Home, Ducks (new alt), Blue Jackets home, 2xBraehead Clan, 2xLA Kings, 2xWhalers
Anything Else: Nope

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
You're from North Carolina and prefer KFC to Bojangles? Or hell, even Chick-Fil-A?

I mean, don't get me wrong, KFC is good, but the other two are just so much better.

Also, waffle fries :laugh:

CalUK

Feb 16, 2015
Scotland
Haha, I haven't been in the US for a long time. I can honestly say I haven't tried Bojangles (although I used to the adverts on Gamecenter all the time before they stopped showing the ads), Pop-eyes, or many other US fast food places. As far as I know KFC, Burger King, McD's, Subway and very rarely Taco-bell (also not tried) are established here, along with some more resturant & pizza type places.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Haha, I haven't been in the US for a long time. I can honestly say I haven't tried Bojangles (although I used to the adverts on Gamecenter all the time before they stopped showing the ads), Pop-eyes, or many other US fast food places. As far as I know KFC, Burger King, McD's, Subway and very rarely Taco-bell (also not tried) are established here, along with some more resturant & pizza type places.

They do have Krispy Kreme, though.

Will never forget walking into a KK in Manchester and seeing a wall-size mural of the KK on Person Street.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Name: Ben
Where You're From: Vermont
Where You Live Now: Durham
Nationality: American - Swedish/German/Scottish family heritage
Mode of Transportation: VW GTI
Job: Research Scientist
What brought you to HF Boards: Member of other Canes fan sites and the trade board brought me here.
How you became a hockey fan: I started playing hockey at four because my parents felt that if I didn't get some of my energy out, I'd kill my brother. Played local and travel team hockey up until high school until skiing became more of a draw to me. I was done with the five days/nights of week of practice and games and needed to move on.
How you became a Canes fan: As a kid, I was always a contrarian. All my friends were either Habs fans (lots of kids in Vermont with family in Quebec) or Bruins fans due to Bawhstin! Same with other sports: Yankees, Steelers, Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox were always the teams all my friends followed. So I was a Cowboys, Spurs, Mets, and Whalers fan. I moved to this area for college and stayed and was rewarded for my patience when the Whalers followed me here and became the Canes!
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Watching hockey, duh!
Favorite Cane's Player(s): If current players are the question, I guess I really like the way Slavin plays the game on the back end, so he'd be my favorite right now. But I also like the new kid, Aho, so I'm open to having two favorites.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Well, it's early, but I love the glimpses I've seen of McDavid. Unreal skill at speed. Seems like a good kid, too, so easy to follow from a far.
Other Sports You Like: I'm a general sports fan, but I am only a casual sports consumer other then the Canes. NFL and international soccer I'll watch occasionally.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: NC State, Dallas Cowboys
College Attended/Attending: NC State (Aerospace engineering and microbiology) Duke (Cell Biology)
Video Game Systems Owned: PS3, PS4, PC, Wii
Favorite Game(s): Oblivion, Witcher 3, Civilization (just one more turn...)
Music You Listen To: Varies, mostly what my kids have on the radio.
Favorite Movie(s): The spaghetti westerns: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, etc.
Favorite Book(s): The Name of the Wind, A Wise Man's Fear
Favorite Food(s): A burger, medium with bacon, a tomato and blue cheese with an IPA.
Favorite TV Show(s): Hardly watch other than sports and news.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Only two, one Whalers and one Canes...both non-player jerseys.
Anything Else:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Name: Ben
Where You're From: Vermont
Where You Live Now: Durham
Nationality: American - Swedish/German/Scottish family heritage
Mode of Transportation: VW GTI
Job: Research Scientist
What brought you to HF Boards: Member of other Canes fan sites and the trade board brought me here.
How you became a hockey fan: I started playing hockey at four because my parents felt that if I didn't get some of my energy out, I'd kill my brother. Played local and travel team hockey up until high school until skiing became more of a draw to me. I was done with the five days/nights of week of practice and games and needed to move on.
How you became a Canes fan: As a kid, I was always a contrarian. All my friends were either Habs fans (lots of kids in Vermont with family in Quebec) or Bruins fans due to Bawhstin! Same with other sports: Yankees, Steelers, Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox were always the teams all my friends followed. So I was a Cowboys, Spurs, Mets, and Whalers fan. I moved to this area for college and stayed and was rewarded for my patience when the Whalers followed me here and became the Canes!
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Watching hockey, duh!
Favorite Cane's Player(s): If current players are the question, I guess I really like the way Slavin plays the game on the back end, so he'd be my favorite right now. But I also like the new kid, Aho, so I'm open to having two favorites.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Well, it's early, but I love the glimpses I've seen of McDavid. Unreal skill at speed. Seems like a good kid, too, so easy to follow from a far.
Other Sports You Like: I'm a general sports fan, but I am only a casual sports consumer other then the Canes. NFL and international soccer I'll watch occasionally.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: NC State, Dallas Cowboys
College Attended/Attending: NC State (Aerospace engineering and microbiology) Duke (Cell Biology)
Video Game Systems Owned: PS3, PS4, PC, Wii
Favorite Game(s): Oblivion, Witcher 3, Civilization (just one more turn...)
Music You Listen To: Varies, mostly what my kids have on the radio.
Favorite Movie(s): The spaghetti westerns: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, etc.
Favorite Book(s): The Name of the Wind, A Wise Man's Fear
Favorite Food(s): A burger, medium with bacon, a tomato and blue cheese with an IPA.
Favorite TV Show(s): Hardly watch other than sports and news.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Only two, one Whalers and one Canes...both non-player jerseys.
Anything Else:

are you by chance an umbrella employee, working on the t-virus w/ halle?

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
Name: Phil
Where You're From: Trail British Columbia
Where You Live Now: Trail
Nationality: Canadian
Eye Color: Blue
Mode of Transportation: Toyota Tacoma
Job: Pipefitters / Supervision
What brought you to HF Boards: Ha as a Canes fan It's pretty easy to start researching prospects to keep the hope alive. During my quest for information on can't miss prospects like Bowman and Boychuk I ended up here and have been lurking ever since. So much so that I find myself parroting opinions I've formed reading you folks comments. Figure it's about time to meet some of the people I've been plagiarizing over the years.
How you became a hockey fan: As a young boy in Canada if you haven't started watching hockey by the age of 10 your brought to the nearest Glacier and left for the wolves...
How you became a Canes fan: My mother is a Leafs fan and my father a Flyers fan so being the rebellious scamp that I was those two teams were off the table but I soon learned anyone in my house cheering for the Habs was tortured and sent to bed without dinner. I learned to hate the Habs so much I found myself cheering against them. Those were the dark times of the Adams division and the Whalers lost to them frequently and a soft spot for the team began to form(that and Ray Farerro was on the team and he is also from Trail). I've followed the team ever since... I remember laughing at my metals 8 teacher (penguins fan) when the Whalers robbed the penguins by acquiring John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski...in hindsight I may have been wrong on that one.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: crying myself to sleep burns calories
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Right now in pretty excited about Hanifin
Other Sports You Like: Baseball, football
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Blue Jays, Patriots
College Attended/Attending:
Video Game Systems Owned:
Favorite Game(s):
Music You Listen To:
Favorite Movie(s):
Favorite Book(s):
Favorite Food(s):
Favorite TV Show(s): Walking Dead
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe:Reebok canes away home and third, mustard signed Webber Preds, home away 90s Whalers
Anything Else: I've played hockey against Horkoff and Deadmarshin Sr Novice, I'm sure it's a highlight of therecareers...I know
One of the scouts for the Preds (old pipefitter from the company I work for)Not saying I have a connection but I do have some pretty cool stories he's told me about if anyone wants to chat... anyways, look forward to meeting some of you, thanks for taking time to read this

Last edited:

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
:shakehead

:sarcasm:

but for real though, screw NE

Ha ya....back in the days of giant hot tub sized satellite dishes the only way to get Whalers info was the New England channel... I used to watch a show called Mike Adams Sports World and he openly mocked the Pats(sucked horribly back then) and the Whalers...guess I used to pick the powerhouses to cheat for..... and there's no way in hell I'd ever cheer for a CFL team

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember reading something one time, that around 1990 or so there were rumors the Patriots were looking at relocating to St. Louis. Then Robert Kraft bought the team.

I'm sure New England would've gotten an expansion team sometime later, but I barely know a time the Patriots have not been irrevelant and I'm 29. Hell Super Bowl 31 was one of the first Super Bowls I can remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad